The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
rogergodding

State Inspections are a joke

So we take my son's truck to get it inspected and the guy tells me that he won't pass it because it has a crack in the windshield that goes from one side to the other. I have had my work truck inspected at least 3 times with an almost identical crack..... and the criteria from the state website states: "The windshield is not an item of inspection". It does not have to have one..... I'll get my sticker from a different place tomorrow......
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Legolas894
Chemist under the hood...

Re: State Inspections are a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogergodding View Post
So we take my son's truck to get it inspected and the guy tells me that he won't pass it because it has a crack in the windshield that goes from one side to the other. I have had my work truck inspected at least 3 times with an almost identical crack..... and the criteria from the state website states: "The windshield is not an item of inspection". It does not have to have one..... I'll get my sticker from a different place tomorrow......
In Ontario, the windshield can't be cracked in the area of the sweep of the wiper blades. I've got a small "star" just below the sweep so it passed but I was worried it wouldn't. Depends a lot on the person.

Current fleet:
2013 GMC Sierra, 5.3L, 4x4
1988 GMC Sierra, 305, Auto
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8
1997 VW Cabrio, 2.0L
2017 Toyota Rav4, 2.5L

Stuff I wish I still had:
2013 Toyota Matrix [RIP]
1967 GMC 910 Fleetside, 283 V8 [1st Love-SOLD]
1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4, 4.0 I-6 [SOLD}
1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 5.7LV8 [SOLD]
1995 Chevrolet Astro AWD, 4.3L V6 (RIP)
1998 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4, 5.7L V8 [SOLD]
Legolas894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

If the inspection doesn't include the windshield... then "Mr. Inspector" shouldn't have any say in the matter to not pass the truck. Just because it's his personal agenda.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
They made me buy and connect all the emmisions parts. Even though they could test and its exempt because of its age it it all had to be there and connected.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

smog stuff is federal law. Technicly, it doesn't matter if your state requires it or not.

As for the glass, when I was in Tx (been a decade now) I found a LOT of inspectors did what ever the heck they wanted, and got away with it. Find someone who is either flexible, or turns a blind eye, and go to him no matter how nice or crappy your ride is, and send your friends. Do what you can to line his wallet in a legal way.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Connecticut is simple. I had bought the truck in California, had it shipped here. Got a temporary plate, drove it to DMV, went to the inspection booth, the inspector verified the VIN on the registration matched the VIN on the truck, got my hard plate and was on my way! 8^)
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Washington is even more simple ... no inspection required.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Here in my part of Texas as long as you can see the road you're okay. My ranger had so many cracks it looked a Texas road map. Drove it around for 10 years like that and I finally broke down and replaced it couple of weeks ago.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
pritch

Here in Utah, it depends on the county as far as emissions go. The 5 or 6 most populated counties have what they call I/M inspections and that is separate from the safety inspection. I live in a rural county, so I don't have to deal with that part of it, at least for the time being. As far as the safety side of it, they don't even open the hood for those. Brakes, lights, windshield-the usual suspects. I had a guy reject me for no horn one time. Another guy checked if my defroster worked-first time I ever saw that checked. But the guy I go to now, all he checks is if any one is watching as he fills out the papers, and if the extra $20 I slip him is real.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
kevmic28

Mine failed a couple months ago at one place cause I didnt have cats on the truck. I was like cats are not standard equipment on a 70. He didnt want to listen at all about it so I went to the Oil changing place down the street. They passed it no problem. Hell i didnt even have to get out of the truck. Just depends on where you go and who is working.

Last edited by kevmic28; 03-19-2011 at 11:14 PM.
kevmic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
Dr. Evil

Next time, Let the lovely lady in the avatar take the truck? Ya think they will even look at the truck?
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
cam.man67

No inspection needed for mine!
1989 Toyota Pickup 22re, auto, 3.73
cam.man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
smog stuff is federal law. Technicly, it doesn't matter if your state requires it or not.

As for the glass, when I was in Tx (been a decade now) I found a LOT of inspectors did what ever the heck they wanted, and got away with it. Find someone who is either flexible, or turns a blind eye, and go to him no matter how nice or crappy your ride is, and send your friends. Do what you can to line his wallet in a legal way.
My "Guy" is pretty easy basicly since he knows I build alot of stuff he'll ask how is it..I ussually tell him the truth like it need a tie rod end but I'll be doing the disc swap next month...he's kool and lets it go!! That being sadi IF i get a fix it ticket ( for tinted windows or something stupid) they report the insection staion to the DMV and I ALWAYS tell them it was done after the inspection..this keep him from getting ion hot water

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

My truck has been inspected by the same two guys for the last 20 years, the only thing they ask is for me to do the turn signals right and left as I pull it in. he is well aware of all the stuff I have done to the truck, safety inspections take maybe 5 minutes.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
rogergodding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Next time, Let the lovely lady in the avatar take the truck? Ya think they will even look at the truck?
That just might do it!!
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Angry Re: State Inspections are a joke

Not to say that i don't have it good here in Calif.But i'm for one to have car's and trucks inspected here.So much unsafe car's driving around here in Calif.I would rather pay 20-30.00 every 2 years.Here in Calif some of the people have them aftermarket Headlights and you can't even see the road in front of you.And the car's driving around with No brake lights or running lights in the back.It would really get some of these trucks that are raised or lowed to be a little more safer.Or the Mexicans or the blacks that put hydrolics under there Impala or Regal or caddy or the kids with the AIR bag in the back of the truck where they cut the bed all up.So many things in Calif if we had a state inspection you have a lot of these car's or custom car's to be a little safer
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
Beat68CST

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
Not to say that i don't have it good here in Calif.But i'm for one to have car's and trucks inspected here.So much unsafe car's driving around here in Calif.I would rather pay 20-30.00 every 2 years.Here in Calif some of the people have them aftermarket Headlights and you can't even see the road in front of you.And the car's driving around with No brake lights or running lights in the back.It would really get some of these trucks that are raised or lowed to be a little more safer.Or the Mexicans or the blacks that put hydrolics under there Impala or Regal or caddy or the kids with the AIR bag in the back of the truck where they cut the bed all up.So many things in Calif if we had a state inspection you have a lot of these car's or custom car's to be a little safer
This man is sooooo right, same thing with AZ.
I used to live in So Cal so I know what you mean.
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Quote:
Sounds like its time to come here. No inspections at all no matter what city or county you live in.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #19
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
I partially agree with you on some of that. The people who honestly don't know there brake lights don't work (ever been behind a chevy lumina?) or something like that, can benifit from this.
However, some of your comments are not quite right. There is nothing illegal about an airbag suspention. Millions of med and HD trucks have them, and a lot of cars do too... since the 70's. Headlights not aimed, tail lights not working... blame those whoe are supposed to serve and protect. If they see these things, and do nothing, then they aren't doing either. I have had many convorsations with local boys in blue and some of them will literally argue that it is not there job to enforce these laws. I usually remind them of the oath they took (used to know it word for word here for the CPD) and they always looked shocked upon realizing/remembering that it IS in fact there job.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
pritch

How do they do safety inspections in California these days? When I was a kid, it seemed like you didn't ever need to get an inspection, but if you got pulled into an inspection roadblock, which were fairly common, if you failed, you got some time to fix stuff and get re-inspected, and if (when) you passed, you got a windshield sticker, that would pass you through the roadblocks.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
bollybib

One of the main reasons that I bought my 1969 C20 is that California does not require that it be inspected in any way once registered. It's a '75 and earlier model year so no smog inspection and we don't have safety inspections.

I had to weigh it and have the VIN inspected and verified when I first registered it because it came from out of state.

I still have to smog my Granada every other year but the state never looks at my Vette (YAY!)

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911

Last edited by bollybib; 03-21-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: sp
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #22
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Arkansas doesn't have vehicle inspections, except for school buses. Of course, the DOT inspects over-the-road trucks, but that doesn't do anything for the daily driven vehicles.

Mike Huckabee (former Republican Presidential candidate) eliminated them when he became our governor. Seemed he was on the right track in one sense. However, his statement that the police departments would be enforcing the vehicle laws is a joke. There's stuff on our roads that would be at home in a third-world country. You can't find anyone with headlight aiming equipment.

Personally, I wish we had vehicle inspections. When my '69 is done, I'm gonna go with the NSRA and get one of their inspections. At least there will be something to make me feel good and let others know that it is safe.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #23
Spoof

Quote:
Dude...not cool! Why single any one out...not true or fair.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #24
krazy_texan

Texas has a funny law last I checked down there you are not required to have a windshield at all but you are required to have wipers I know it's funny but true as far as inspections go if it is over 25 years old in Texas you just have to pass a safety test is all.
Posted via Mobile Device
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Inspections are a law. Laws are to be followed by the word. I see no room for personal interpretation. Sure,you can keep going different places until it passes,but doesn't that cost you? I wouldn't pay for an inspection that wasn't per the book. If the windshield isn't an inspection item it shouldn't be considered. Let the guy call the cops and give you a chance to explain the inspection guy is making his own laws. They frown on that.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote