The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
jojoman

ecm question

so i got my 87 the previous owner went to carb im trying to go back to tbi im getting all of my parts from 1991 suburban i dont know if i just plug wires to my ecm or use the one from burban also do i got to send it out to take sensors off and does this look like a ecm from a 87 im curios cuz it only has one plug the suburban has 2 thanks alotName:  Picture 016.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  33.2 KB

Last edited by jojoman; 03-28-2011 at 07:30 PM.
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
jojoman

Re: ecm question

anybody anyone
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
joe231

I would use all the wiring and the ECM from the burb. 1991 also has an electronic speedo. I'd use everything from the burb

Last edited by joe231; 03-28-2011 at 07:38 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

That not a TBI ECM there. Looks like an ESC module from an earlier truck. In my 87, the computer is larger and has two large plugs.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
jojoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
I would use all the wiring and the ECM from the burb. 1991 also has an electronic speedo. I'd use everything from the burb
so if my truck has a 350 and a regular speedo do i have to convert it or can i keep it like that if not what all do i take from the burb do i take the gauge cluster i need help on this and do i take from the ECM to the fire wall and on to engine only or do i have to take the other plug too man im really going to need help on this also why would this truck have an older model moduel in it with the wires cut off
Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
sandorjoben

My 87's ecm is larger also than what you have pictured with two plugs as well, I'd take everything out of the 'burban, the gauge cluster, ecm and the complete wiring harness if you can, unless you know for a fact that the carb conversion used the original TBI harness and left it completely intact, and even then I'd still grab the burb's harness on the off-chance something is missing. Your existing gauge cluster may work, mine is using one from an 85, so I have a "choke" light in place of "service engine" but it still functions the same. But again you might as well grab everything you can and have it rather than wish you did if something doesn't work.

Last edited by sandorjoben; 03-28-2011 at 11:57 PM.
sandorjoben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
jojoman

so it is better to just take everything sinceim not sure and i know for a fact that only some of the wires from the tbi are there and by complete harness do you mean taking the complete harness for the engine only or you mean the whole harness also i know one of the plugs on the ecm is for the engine and the other is for interior if i only plug in the one for the engine will it affected the ecm any by only having one thing plugged in. thanks alot
Old 03-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

As was mentioned, the box should have two plug ins on it and larger than what you have. One group of wires is engine bay and other is your interior. If you do not have the plug just dangling there for the interior loom, yes you should probably swap it out. The only thing that comes to mind is the VSS stuff, but there is probably more. The cab harness is fairly simple and straight forward as long as you have the dash somewhat apart.

Here is a photo of the extra ECM I have that would work on an 87-91.
Attached Images

When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
jojoman

how much do you want for the ecm also i had a question when installing tbi back on can you eliminate all sensors or is it better to have sensorscan this be done in a week end and from 1-10 how hard would ya rate this swap also any one in houston who done this before that can help
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
sandorjoben

Don't know how well the truck'll run, if at all, if you start leaving sensors that should be there out when you bring the TBI back. If you have the help of at least one other person you can do it on a weeknd without too much difficulty. If you think you might end up forgetting what gets plugged or routed where wire/connector-wise snap photos while you're removing the gear you're taking from that suburban you're taking parts from. That way you'll remember what goes where.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
jojoman

even if it has headers do you still put the 02 sensor back on if so how and what other sensors are involved you have to excuse me i have never done a swap but i do work on my own vehicles
Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

My ECM is not really for sale, I just had it for photo reasons there. There is a very long and detailed thread in the forums on a TBI swap, I think all the information you need will be in there.
You have to have all the sensors in place and working, or the engine will never run right. If you're running headers, you have to change the O2 sensor to a 3 wire sensor that will preheat, or the truck will not run right. TBI are a different beast really. Off the top of my head, you have a temp sensor (not the one your gauge works off of), idle air control, map and knock sensor.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
jojoman

man im realling thinking twice about doing this swap now im thinking about just putting a good intake for now cuz i have a single plane intake and is killing me what do you guys suggest any input on professional products thanks alot