The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Would you buy Amsoil products through a vendor on the forum?
I would buy Amsoil products 9 16.07%
I would not buy Amsoil products 21 37.50%
I would like more info on Amsoil products 17 30.36%
I already use Amsoil products 13 23.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
wyattglock

Question Amsoil sales

I am now selling Amsoil products. This post is not intended to generate sales, only to gauge interest in people on the forum buying it. If there is a favorable response to the poll I will be upgrading my membership to become a vendor. I am personally using Amsoil in the 1987 Jimmy that I am borrowing from my friend while I work on my truck. It has made a difference in the way it runs and starts, definitely for the better.
Thanks for any and all input on this.

Last edited by wyattglock; 04-20-2011 at 04:55 PM.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Pyrotechnic

Re: Amsoil sales

I don't put a whole lot of miles on my truck the way gas prices are, and even my girlfriends car that we do drive most of the time still doesn't see many miles. Most of the time the 6 month mark shows up before 3000 miles does.

I'd start looking at synthetic when I was going to be driving a lot of miles and could really benefit from that extended oil change interval and extended engine life. I have a feeling these are probably the points you will sell most customers on.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
wyattglock

You are correct. I personally have noticed a little better gas mileage in the Jimmy I am driving. I realize not everyone will benefit from the extended oil change interval.
Amsoil is now making three different grades of oil for the market, the signature series is the premier line and is the oil rated to go 25k between changes. The XL series is an intermediate that is intended to go up to 10k, and finally the OE is designed to go from 3k-7k. It is more geared to the individual that prefers to change their oil when the manufacturer suggests. Obviously they are priced accordingly. I am also able to get a variety of other products from them, Donaldson filters, Mann filters, Wix filters, NGK plugs and wires, Mothers car care products, AgGrand lawn care products, grease, hydraulic oils, transmission fluids, and a variety of additives. I know this is a long drawn out answer, there isnt really any way to shorten the pitch up!
Like I said on the thread opener, this is just to gauge interest. If it doesn't work out, no big deal. Fortunately I am not trying to live off this income!

Last edited by wyattglock; 04-21-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
BigBlocksRule

Already have a local dealer, the best oil products on the market IMHO.
Good luck, I hope you generate enough interest to become a supporting vendor.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
wyattglock

Thanks! A note along those lines, if you already have a dealer, this is not a ploy to get your business. Please stay with them and thanks for the business!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
BigBlocksRule

No harm, no foul, that's not the way I took it. You have a great product that I've seen proven time and again!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
clinebarger

Would you recommend a oil analysis be done at a certain intervals when running 25K between oil changes?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Would you recommend a oil analysis be done at a certain intervals when running 25K between oil changes?
That is a good question. In my honest opinion, yes. I would do an oil analysis somewhere between 15k and 20k. This is just what I would do, but I will research that and see if I can find a different answer on the Amsoil site.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
wyattglock

Clinebarger-The only info I can find on the Amsoil site about oil analysis states that an analysis should be done after a 25k oil change to check the oil for performance. While I am no expert on the particulars of viscosity breakdown, I would personally play it safe and check it before then.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
wyattglock

For the people that would like more info on the products from Amsoil, send me a pm or post your question on the board and I will do my best to get you an answer. This in no way means that I will sell a product as a result of any questions. I will not discuss prices until I become a supporting member in the vendor area. Thanks for your understanding on this.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Ive been using Amsoil for many years. I love it. Engines run smoother and cooler, and a big shock to me was oil consumption reduction in two bigblocks. One 468 the other a 8.1 (496) the 8.1 went from 1 quart consumption every 3500-4000 mile ( normal by GM standards) to 1 quart every 6000-7000 miles. Didnt suspect that at all. Running it in a 2008 Z71 with 122000 mile with very minute if any oil consumption at 12000 services.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
wyattglock

That is pretty cool! Like I said at the start of the thread, I am running it in my loaner 87 Jimmy. Since I started running it I am getting just under 2 mpg better and the engine starts much easier. I ran a can of the power foam carb and combustion chamber cleaner through it on Thursday. After doing that, the misfire that I had on the passenger side of the block has gone away, truck has dual exhaust so it is easier to tell. The misfire has not come back as of yet, but if it does I will change the spark plugs and see what happens.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
wyattglock

I see by the poll results that so far there are quite a few people wanting more info on the products Amsoil sells. Feel free to post a question or pm me with one and I will get an answer for you.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Thanks, but no thanks, Im a sucker for Mobil 1 products and have allways been

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

The makers of Mobil1 and Amsoil were partners at one time. Very similar in products. Best I can tell the falling out was because Mobil1 people didnt like the 25000 mile oil change system most likely because they dont sell as much oil that way. The Amsoil filters clean out smaller particles in the oil thus allowing the extended oil changes. It doesnt break down, it gets contaminated. Mobil 1 is neither better nor worse than Amsoil, it just gets changed more often tho I dont think it really has too.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare86 View Post
The makers of Mobil1 and Amsoil were partners at one time. Very similar in products. Best I can tell the falling out was because Mobil1 people didnt like the 25000 mile oil change system most likely because they dont sell as much oil that way. The Amsoil filters clean out smaller particles in the oil thus allowing the extended oil changes. It doesnt break down, it gets contaminated. Mobil 1 is neither better nor worse than Amsoil, it just gets changed more often tho I dont think it really has too.
long intervals suck for me as a mechanic, Oil change intervals should not be determend by the oil company but by the manufactur of the vehicle,
theres a reason for that not just a waste of money take the old 6.2 diesel they have very very short intervals like 2500miles when worked hard and 5000miles under normal use.

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
wyattglock

From the wear and pour test results that are on the web, granted they are on the web, it shows Amsoil having a slight edge over Mobil 1. Does it make a difference in real world driving? That is something that without expensive lab testing could only be decided by the driver/mechanic.
In my personal use, I am extremely pleased with Amsoil. I am leery of the extended interval drain time also, but then that is why they have come out with the 2 other lines of oil. The XL and the OE oils. They have the same wear protection, just not the long interval formulations.
The main reason I went with Amsoil over the other brands, and this is due to my research over the last few months. I was happy with the fact that I could get a street oil with a zinc additive for my flat tappet cam and lifters. I didn't want to go through the trouble of adding something at every oil change, I know I would forget. I also didn't want to add to much, I know some of the zddp additive is good, to much isn't. I also found that by being a dealer I could get it cheap enough to justify my own personal use of it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
wyattglock

Running out of time! There is a decent response for people wanting info, but I didn't make the user names public so I can't find out who needs it unless you either pm or post your questions. Thanks for everyone taking time to do the poll.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #19
wyattglock

Only 7 days left to take the poll. I will stil answer questions after this is over, but if the response for buying isn't higher I may not be able to justify a vendor status. I see there are several people wanting info, pm or post a message and I will get you an answer.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #20
spudz

I just pulled the engine out of a 09 GMC Acadia... The customer has been using amsoil. It only has 45k miles. The timing chains were worn so badly it was setting DTCs. When we tore into it to replace the timing chains I found the motor to be sludged up worse then 200k motors. You could just scrape a 1/4 in of sludge off anywhere. The customers are going through some kind of deal where we keep sending amsoil oil samples etc. ..... I for one... will NEVER ever use the stuff.... Change your oil people... its cheap insurance.. I work at a chevy dealership... I deal with cars everyday... I dont care what the manufacturer says.. Change conventional oil every 3k and synthetic every 5k.... These oil life monitors will let you run damn new 10k between oil changes with conventional oil..... That is BS.... All it is, is a way to keep the annual cost of maintenance down so it looks good on paper.....thats straight from one of GMs engineers mouth... CHANGE YOUR DAMN OIL.. at least once I week I deal with lack of maintenance issues...............
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #21
BigBlocksRule

So, what was the change interval on this engine? If it was in warranty, surely you guys have or can get that record...
Old 05-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #22
spudz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
So, what was the change interval on this engine? If it was in warranty, surely you guys have or can get that record...
the change interval was the 25k interval and recommended filter change etc. Amazingly, we sent a bottle of hard sludge the first time and the analysis was that the oil was still good? ok..... yeah right, we are sending another sample out now after we just changed the oil again. Since the owners *****ed so much to customer service etc, the GM area service rep instead of voiding the customers warranty for lack of maintenance agreed to foot the bill THIS time for the chains. BUT because of how nasty the engine is... It will be back.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #23
BigBlocksRule

Wow...25K on a change.
That's nuts, I don't care what kind of oil was in it.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #24
spudz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblocksrule View Post
wow...25k on a change.
That's nuts, i don't care what kind of oil was in it.
i agree
Old 05-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

They need to contact their Amsoil rep and tell them what happened. Amsoil has a statement that says they will stand behid their product and if their oil is suspected in the cause of an engine failure they will analyse it and if true, pay for subsequent damages. I've run it for years and have never seen what you are describing. I have an 08 Silverado Z71 that has run Amsoil for the last 98000 miles ( has 124090 on it now) and is in great shape. I change every 12000 miles due to off road use in oilfeild. It uses less than a quart between changes. I've run it in my older trucks, and it even reduced oil consumption on my 01 crewcab with the 8.1. I wont run pennzoil or quaked state because of the goo I've cleaned out of engines running it. Not denying your statement, but something doesn't add up.
Posted via Mobile Device