The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
zac

Crank pulley for a/c, other questions

If nothing else happens, I might actually get the new engine in my '70 burb in the next week or two. A couple of things have come up.

My truck is a K10 with power steering, the crank pulley is a two piece with three grooves. I have one from my '72 parts truck that is two piece with 4 grooves. Which one should I use if I intend to eventually install a/c, or does it matter? It seems I put the one on the '72 myself, but it was so long ago I can't remember why. You don't have to explain or provide a picture, just tell me which one to use.

Some general leaking from the trans and tranfer case (465/205). Just seems to be dripping from the bottom of each unit. It's not from the engine because I have only driven it about 150 feet since last November. Is there any seal or gasket I can/should replace at this stage without tearing everything down? Any place typically develop leaks? Everything was working fine up to this point.

Where do I buy hose clamps that don't suck? The "Hecho en Mexico" ones have given me trouble, but that's all anybody seems to carry. I'm tired of having to recycle the few goods ones that I have. Some of them are so old they came off flatheads. Can I order good ones from anywhere?

Pray for my cam. I've researched this oil thing to the point that I'm sick of it. I think it's maybe half real and half internet hype. I'm going to use Comp Cams break-in oil at first, then maybe Rotella with the Comp Cams supplement. After that I don't know what the hell I'm going to do. I read something in a Pontiac magazine that had the Comp Cams tech guy telling people to break in the cam with the inner valve springs removed, then re-install them after break-in. I assume he's kidding.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
mrein3

Re: Crank pulley for a/c, other questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
If nothing else happens, I might actually get the new engine in my '70 burb in the next week or two. A couple of things have come up.

My truck is a K10 with power steering, the crank pulley is a two piece with three grooves. I have one from my '72 parts truck that is two piece with 4 grooves. Which one should I use if I intend to eventually install a/c, or does it matter? It seems I put the one on the '72 myself, but it was so long ago I can't remember why. You don't have to explain or provide a picture, just tell me which one to use.

Some general leaking from the trans and tranfer case (465/205). Just seems to be dripping from the bottom of each unit. It's not from the engine because I have only driven it about 150 feet since last November. Is there any seal or gasket I can/should replace at this stage without tearing everything down? Any place typically develop leaks? Everything was working fine up to this point.

snip
I had a heck of a time with getting the correct crank pulley for my truck. Nothing wanted to line up. Finally da-burb said he got a truck in that was headed for the scrap yard. It was all original with AC. I took both the crank pulley and the water pump pulley and never looked back.

Regarding your transmission and transfer case leak. I didn't look too close at my 3-speed manual/NP205 when I took it out but I looked over the th350/NP205 real close while I was gathering parts and having the th350 rebuilt. The seal for keeping the transmission fluid in the transmission is in the adapter. The transmission is coupled to the transfer case via a "coupler sleeve". This sleeve rides around an oil seal at the front and back of the adapter. Much like how the front oil seal on your engine rides around the harmonic balancer. The seal can fail and the sleeve, like the harmonic balancer, can get a groove that allows oil to leak. Knowing how bleeping heavy all this stuff is under there you really gotta want to fix that leak - if that is where it is leaking. I would clean it up real good then try to get a visual of the leak. Then consider a cookie sheet under there if it is one of those seals in the adapter.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
48richard

When I put AC in my truck (small block, short water pump) I had to change from the 3-groove to 4-groove. I don't use all four grooves, but that's what it took to get everything to line up. If I remember right, the front groove is PS, nothing on the 2nd one, AC on the 3rd one, and water pump/alternator on the 4th (closest to the block)
Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
zac

Thanks, I will use the 4 groove, easy enough to change I guess if I change my mind.

Further inspection of where my truck sat all winter tells me the trans and transfer case are leaking more than I thought. Would take a shower curtain as opposed to a cookie sheet to catch it all. I have a new sleeve and will install it.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Thanks, I will use the 4 groove, easy enough to change I guess if I change my mind.

Further inspection of where my truck sat all winter tells me the trans and transfer case are leaking more than I thought. Would take a shower curtain as opposed to a cookie sheet to catch it all. I have a new sleeve and will install it.
Before you go pulling that heavy stuff, make sure you identify where the leak is. It could the the sleeve, one seal, both seals, or all of the above.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote