The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Seans65GMC

65GMC Project

I picked up this classic rust bucket that sat in the desert for a decade then used as a farm truck for another. It is, to my knowledge all original, 230 straight six, 591953 transmission, new tires, wiring, air intake, radiator n hoses, regulator, battery, and a lot of sanding/pounding/filling w much more to go still.

The previous owner broke a tooth off in second pulling something, so it knocks while driving in second. The 3rd and 4th gear run great and as a whole the engine, transmission and truck drive well. Good 'ol American steel.

Looking for advice from anyone who has rebuilt one of these transmissions or one like it. I would like to attack it myself, with a friend, no garage. I know this cast iron tranny will be heavy, any advice on droppin it and replacing second gear...this will be my first. ( found a new second gear, bushings and seals )

Is it worth doing myself, or should I just bring it in to the shop. Would rather not but this is also my daily driver and only vehicle, I can devote two days to the project.

What do you guys think? Should I knock it out? Done everything else myself.
Attached Images

Seans65GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
kieth

Re: 65GMC Project

I will send you a 250 6 cylinder with a 3 speed all syncro transmission for the chrome grille. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
gimmy 64

i have a 3 spd tranny out of a 69 chevy truck i will sell for $100. p.m. me if interested. i am in Menifee not to far.
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Seans65GMC

I'd rather not part with the grille, I know how hard a solid original one is to find, and the offers on the trannys, will prob do the rebuild on the original transmission and keep it together n I found/spent $120 on new second gear already anyway n would like to learn somethin...any one close n want to join?...also, the new gasket set should hopefully end the leakin pig too. Wish me luck, the things prob, what 400-500 pnds cast iron maybe less??
Here's a couple older pics when she was comin along.
Attached Images

Seans65GMC is offline   Reply With Quote