The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
PaRedneckRiders

Worth it??

I have really been wanting a crew cab to start a new project and found this on the local classifieds today.
Theres not much info on it but im having a real hard time finding CC's around here that would be the start of a project for a decent price.
Im really looking for a 4x4 and that one likes like a 2wd im just wondering if it would even be worth the time to try and save it.
I need to sell all my quad parts but i think i may call him and see if i can work out a deal.

http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/cl...dindex=1264909
PaRedneckRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
ghettoluxury

Re: Worth it??

that one is 2wd but these crews are gettin harder to find.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
PaRedneckRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoluxury View Post
that one is 2wd but these crews are gettin harder to find.
Ya im having a real hard time finding one for a decent price, and just about everything here is rusty and needs work thats not to big or a deal i had that problem with my 84 also.

I tried to call but no answer my guess is hes working ill try again later and see if i can work out a deal.
Ill keep ya posted
Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
PaRedneckRiders

I talked to the guy today he said the floor board isnt bad just had a few holes and he patched them up for now.
He said it has a buick 455 in it with a th400 said it runs really good but he just has no use for it now because he bought a new truck to haul his racecar instead.
I asked just out of curiosity if he would sell it with no motor and he said ya he could prob do that he said he i was the first to call but hey would take 1200 in a heartbeat as it sits or 750 with no motor but i bet he would take 500 with no motor. For around here i dont think thats all that bad.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

Personally, I would spend $800-$1000 on transportation for a rust free CC from the desert southwest. Considering how much money you will have to spend to get an old truck in top shape, I would want to start with a rust free body. Even if it costs you a little more, in the long run you have a rust free truck to resell in the rust belt - so I think you would recoup the extra $$, compared to all of the other rusty old trucks in your neighborhood. In addition, you won't have to hassle with all of the rust repair issues - you never know when the rust will come back.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
PaRedneckRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Personally, I would spend $800-$1000 on transportation for a rust free CC from the desert southwest. Considering how much money you will have to spend to get an old truck in top shape, I would want to start with a rust free body. Even if it costs you a little more, in the long run you have a rust free truck to resell in the rust belt - so I think you would recoup the extra $$, compared to all of the other rusty old trucks in your neighborhood. In addition, you won't have to hassle with all of the rust repair issues - you never know when the rust will come back.
I understand what your saying but to me that seems like a PITA i had problems with rust on my 84 but i mean its something im used to living in PA but i plan on replacing just about everything anyway over what will prob be a few year project im just looking for the start of one.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
rwhit57

I think Tucson has a huge point. Even if it was free, you will spend way more $ and time on it than you would finding a better one in a better climate. The motor change deal is a deal breaker for me, no telling what they cut, changed, etc. If you're wanting to build a nice truck, the better truck you start out with, the better off you are JMO. Either way though I'll support you, Good Luck, Randy
rwhit57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

to me thats a $700 truck even with the motor in it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
PaRedneckRiders

I talked to him a little more i asked him to send some more pics to see what it looks like and how bad it is.
He doesnt seem like he cares about it all that much said he doesnt have much in it but just hates to see it sit there. If he sends me some pics mayb ill throw him a 500$ offer with the motor and if the motor runs good just sell it.
Im going to keep talking to him about it and see how cheap i can get the thing hes about two hours from me so its not to far but would hate to go for something i cant get cheap enough. I know of a 70s Crew cab dually that is more local and has been sitting in the same spot for what seems like forever but i guess the guy has plans to restore it one day (which will prob never happen) maybe ill have to go pay him a visit and try and talk him into selling it.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

For $1500 you could get a much nicer truck IMO in Texas or OK, the transportation wouldnt be a big deal either. If it is a runner, drive it home. I would see if there is a member around the are of the truck you are looking at and have them go by before you offer anything or buy anything. Good Luck!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
lilpoindexter

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...497272737.html
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
tucsonjwt

poindexter makes the point correctly. IMHO, spend your time surfing the net rather than repairing rust. Even if you have that LA CC dually trucked to your doorstep and don't like it, you would have $3000 of parts to sell in PA.
One caution - a lot of vehicles sold in the southwest are originally from other rusty parts of the country, so shop carefully.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
PaRedneckRiders

I decided that im not gonna get it, i mean im really interested and really want a crew cab but i think im just going to build another big 4x4 chevy instead.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
ghettoluxury

You will never be happy till you have a 4x4 Crew Cab(trust me I know).

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
PaRedneckRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoluxury View Post
You will never be happy till you have a 4x4 Crew Cab(trust me I know).
Thats what i was thinking but right now i dont feel like trying to do a 2wd to 4x4 conversion.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
PaRedneckRiders

If anyone knows of a 4x4 CC for sale for a decent price around my state let me know post a link. Im interested in that one i showed but do not really want to mess around making it 4x4.
It doesnt have to have a motor or trans.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
CorKey723

Good luck finding one around here. Ive seen one locally but I have no idea what shape its in and I doubt its for sale. I just bought my Blazer that looked great but I am still replacing $500 in metal.
CorKey723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
PaRedneckRiders

I know i did see one in Johnstown not to long ago looked like it had not moved in a while but was a 2wd dually. It was like a cream color with a matching cap

I also know of another CC dually but again its 2wd that is more local to me and i know it hasnt moved in a long time. I heard the owner has plans to restore it one day but chances are it will never happen it will prob sit there and rott
Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #19
CorKey723

The one in Johnstown I was was a Reg cab duallie, not a crew, my bad. I want to say I have seen the one you are talking about but I cant remember for sure. Nice to see someone else close by on the boards.
CorKey723 is offline   Reply With Quote