The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Just about time to convert the '68 to disc W/ drop spindles. Just what will I need.

Just got back from the Bend, OR flashback cruise and I'm irritated with the rake/stance of my truck. I'm going to pull it down another 1"-2" all the way around. I currently have some nice JDM tubular lower control arms with a 3" dropped spring pocket. The directions said a 2" shorter spring is the max with these and they were not kidding. I first tried a 3" drop and the geometry was really messed up. As it is I have a total of 5" but need around a 7". I figure the best way to do this is to convert to disc, run a dropped spindle and a short spring. Were I get confused is I was told the lower ball joints in the 6 lug lower control arms are different than the later ones. Guess it really doesn't matter now because I don't have them anymore. I guess this is the list of questions I need answered:

What lower control arms will I need (I just want stock)?
Can I get 7" of drop with spring/spindle combo without jacking up my front end geometry?
What type of master will I need with the disc? I DO NOT want a booster!
Lastly...is there another or easier way of accomplishing this? I am not interested in sectioning the crossmember.

Here is the truck which many of you have seen more than once. I'm really thinking 1-2 inches would really perfect. Keep in mind that this is a prostreet theme and you usually don't have any room between the tire and fender well on any prostreet vehicle.

Funny.....as I just posted this pic, the stance looks pretty good but I think it's the camera angle. There really is too much air from body to top of tire. Come on......where is my "bagged" buddies? You know what I mean!
Attached Images

prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: Just about time to convert the '68 to disc W/ drop spindles. Just what will I nee

This pic shows it better I think
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Frkypunk70

Re: Just about time to convert the '68 to disc W/ drop spindles. Just what will I nee

My god what is that? A 4wd ? I think the stance looks good. Careful what you wish for. I ended up raising mine back up after bottoming out and flattening my headers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Frkypunk70; 08-07-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Frkypunk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Well there is a TON of clearance under that thing. Because the backs were so big, I actually had to run 275/60/15 on the FRONT to get the look right. That's bigger than what a lot of guys run on the rears. I did actually bring it up once already when I went from the 3" to 2" springs. I liked how it was then. No chance of hitting the headers. That's why I like tires with sidewalls. Not a fan of the ultra lo pro sidewalls.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

5.5" is about the max up front.
2.5" spindle and 3" spring.
Dropmember or frame "Z", or sectioned front crossmember is the only way to go lower.

71-72 truck M/C will work without a booster.
Do you have room to bring the rear down without the tires rubbing?

Your ball joints must match the spindles.
Now there are direct fit spindles.
Since your truck is a '68,... get the 65-70 drop spindles.
Run any 67-72 stock 1/2 ton lower a-arm with a 67-70 ball joint,... and you should be fine.
This way you won't have to change tie rod ends.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

You know what I think I should do is call JDM and see if they have a longer upper A arm or something else to counter the effects of the Alignment being off with the 3" spring. That would be a lot better than changing all that other stuff. I really don't care about disc or the 5-6 lug thing. Would be even better if I didn't have to get new wheels again.

PS I got room in the back. Wheel wells are tubbed and I can massage the outsides a tad to make it work. There is a bunch of room.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I do understand your desire to keep it simple. I can't agree with your reasoning to keep drum brakes. AFAIK no one makes a "longer" A-arm unless you have one custom made. You can convert the front to 6 lug disc and keep your wheels.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

You are missing the boat here.
Your 3" drop pocket lower a-arm works great with a stock spring.
Add another 3" drop spring,... and you screw with everything.
Your upper a-arm "thinks" you have a 6" drop spring in place.
Upper ball joint angles will be hosed and a proper front end alignment will be impossible to achieve.

You were on the right track.
Drop spindles is a "2.5"-3" free suspension drop.
As much money as you have invested in your truck,... add disc brakes.
(my 2 cents)

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I can't agree with your reasoning to keep drum brakes. ...........You can convert the front to 6 lug disc and keep your wheels.
Most can't. The truck sees about 200 miles a year and stops just fine. It's also ALL in town stuff.

I didn't know about the 6 lug disc. What's up with that?

Just talked to my best friend who does alignments all day. He said the biggest issue is what it does to your over all geometry (center link, tie rods, bump steer....etc).
Old 08-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
You are missing the boat here.
Your 3" drop pocket lower a-arm works great with a stock spring.
Add another 3" drop spring,... and you screw with everything.
Your upper a-arm "thinks" you have a 6" drop spring in place.
Upper ball joint angles will be hosed and a proper front end alignment will be impossible to achieve.
It's hard to believe that the extra 1" makes that much difference. Just to reiterate: I already have the A arm with the 3" dropped pocket and the 2" shorter spring. It aligns and drives awesome. Doesn't seem to make sense to go a 2.5 and 3 inch drop for an extra .5" overall just to wind up with disc. The post was to get LOWER......not to STOP BETTER.

I appreciate the different angles you guys are giving me though!

Man.....anyone want to talk about Holleys? At least that's something I know a little about.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
Frkypunk70

My truck has the a 2.5 drop spindle and approx 2-2.5 spring drop and I'm running 6 lug discs. Only offset in my mind is when I need new roters. I had 3" drop springs and it was too low, I just cut one coil off stock. Turned out perfect. Every time I see other drops they look different than mine( never will understand that).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkypunk70 View Post
I had 3" drop springs and it was too low, I just cut one coil off stock.[/i][/size]
When you say too low, are you talking for your own personal taste or because your front end was compromised?

Didn't Lil John say "get low......get low.....till the sweat runs off your forehead"?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Frkypunk70

If I still lived in Portland, Oregon....I would run it....If I didn't have long tube headers I would run it. " To me" I was pushing how low I can run around here. No geometry compromises at all.(unless you count ripping my sway bar mount off). And that's worse case scenario.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
tomtuna1978

I was there in bend with my red 69 c10 in the goodguys muffler booth ! My truck is lowered with 5 in. springs all of the way around ! And the alignment sucks !!! It rides like crap !!! And the steering flops after about 1 turn in each direction !!! I hate it !!! When I get the $, I'm going to get 2.5 in. drop spindles and cut some stock springs. And then get stock springs for the rear and drop the rear with blocks and cut the springs (if needed) to get the rite stance ! If I were you I'd get the spindles and put stock springs in the lower control arms you got. Your alignment will be better ! ... Just my 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device
tomtuna1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
Slammed50

Spindles are the best way to lower the front of your truck since it does not affect any geometry. From your first post you say you only want 1-2 inches more of drop, a spindle will handle that with your current set up just fine. There are many threads on here about what year of parts fit with everything regarding ball joints, spindles, lug pattern etc. You will not be gaining only a half inch, your gaining 2.5" of drop since it's all in the spindle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #16
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I didn't consider the spindles with the current lower A ARMS. I thought I would have to go back to stock arms and start over. That's where I was getting the 1/2 inch additional. If that is the case, that is the only way to go. The truck really rides and drives GREAT. If I can get 'er down and maintain that....I'll be a happy camper.

What's up with the 6 lug disc? Never heard of for these. Is it an aftermarket option so people can keep there wheels?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I didn't consider the spindles with the current lower A ARMS. I thought I would have to go back to stock arms and start over. That's where I was getting the 1/2 inch additional. If that is the case, that is the only way to go. The truck really rides and drives GREAT. If I can get 'er down and maintain that....I'll be a happy camper.

What's up with the 6 lug disc? Never heard of for these. Is it an aftermarket option so people can keep there wheels?

Thanks guys!
You shouldn't run drop spindles with your style "drop pocket" a-arms.
That pocket will be really close to the ground.

The 6-lug rotors are just a new blank rotor drilled to the 6-lug pattern.
ECE and Performance Online sell them along with many other companies.
They bolt on any 71-72 or 73-87 spindle that take the HD 1-1/4" wide rotors.
http://www.performanceonline.com/FRO...10-TRUCK-8600/
I have the ECE version on my '69 swb.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 08-13-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
You shouldn't run drop spindles with your style "drop pocket" a-arms.
That pocket will be really close to the ground.
I think we need to take into consideration that I am running a 275/60-15 tire on the FRONT. The 255 didn't look right with the meats on the back. This is a good pic to show just how much clearance I have now. Many of you could park you truck under that spring pocket. I don't think 2.5 would take it to a danger zone. I could also cut down that pocket if I had to.

Didn't I mention that I just picked up a bad to the bone Millermatic 180 mig with autoset????

Discloser: This pic is only to show the spring pocket clearance and not that monster induction setup! lol
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I don't think you have room to come down 2.5" with a 275/60-15 up front,... unless you plan on pulling the inner fenders.
The drop pocket and the drop spindle combo,... results in "scrubline issue".
The pocket will be below the rim,... with a 15" wheel.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #20
gottattooz

What's the front and rear drop as your truck sits in the first picture? That's the look I want for my truck.

-Josh
2017 Suzuki M109R
gottattooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #21
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
What's the front and rear drop as your truck sits in the first picture?
She's a 5/7.

As I was making a quick trip to the store, I walked past it and took a good look. No way I can go 2.5 more. Don't they sell just 1" drop spindles?
Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
Don't they sell just 1" drop spindles?
No, they don't.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #23
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

FINE!!!!! Next time you see me I'll be bagged and layen frame!!!! lol

I'll figure sumpin out.