The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
77trailering

Muffler Question

i have a 383 very choppy idle and it requires a 3'' exhaust, but i can't stand the loudness of the mufflers.....it has an H pipe and i am putting summit 3'' cut outs and i can't decide what or which mufflers will be the most quiet ones....at the same time making sure it has 3'' in and 3'' out....i will really appreciate all advice and input, thank you
77trailering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
77trailering

Re: Muffler Question

i was thinking something like this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BOR-400238/, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WL...rts/WLK-17635/,
Old 08-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
77trailering

i was thinking something like this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-22675/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17769/
Old 08-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
BMERDOC

Dunno how quiet you want but a 70 series Flowmaster may work for you.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77trailering View Post
The 17749's are the 2.5" version of the 17769's. I found some muffler testing that showed them to be very quiet vs the other mufflers tested. I purchased some for my dually but haven't gotten the new motor/exhuast finalized to give you a 'real' opinion on them.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Just went through this myself.

I have Corsa DB mufflers with an x-pipe. Have a 383 stroker also with headers.

Exhaust was very loud. It did sound good, but it was just too loud at my age. Have three layers of sound deadening in the cab and didn't phase the exhaust sound.

Took it in to the exhaust shop and had turbo mufflers added, in front of the Corsa DBs. It quietened it down considerably. Still has a grumble, definitely not "stock" sounding at all, but considerably quieter. Very quiet on the highway, which was a welcome relief.

Turbo style mufflers are one step up from stock mufflers in terms of loudness.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
veinbar

Quote:
i have a 383 very choppy idle and it requires a 3'' exhaust
Just a question... Why does your 383 require 3" exhaust? I've heard of certain BBC (427, 454) that 2.5" is the recommended tube size recommended by the exhaust experts. I've diverted enough...

Depending on what you're looking to spend, Magna Flow has some very quiet mufflers that still have a low throaty tone. If I had the money, I definitely would have gone in that direction. There are sound files all over the internet to hear what I'm talking about.
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 455ci, TH400, 2.73 Open - SOLD (but I still claim to own it from time to time)
veinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Project77

i went with 2.5in magnaflows perfect when you want it quiet its quiet when you want it to scream push that pedal down and you got it perfect for daily driving too i am very satisfied with my exhaust
Project77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Project77

Name:  IMG_1207.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1205.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1206.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  39.4 KB

oh and i also forgot to mention i ran them in front of the rear tire haha
Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
SCOTI

An exhaust cross-over & running the tail-pipes all the way back will also help curtail noise level.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
77BBGMC

I have Dynomax Super Turbos, 3" with h-pipe and tailpipes. Nice sound at idle but almost too quiet cruising or WOT.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
77BBGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
Axle

A turbo muffler is about the only quiet(er) option out there right now (ie: Walker Super Turbo, Hush Thrush).
Most of the other performance mufflers (ie: Magnaflows) are straight through, not much muffling going on there, about as effective as wrapping a strip of insulation around an exhaust pipe and calling that your muffler.

I had a set of Magnaflows on my truck when I went stainless, those where on there for all of seven days before I had them hacked off and replaced with a pair of Super Turbos to get things back to a reasonable level. Just way too obnoxious--And that is coming from a guy who used to drive with open headers without any hesitation. Yes, they where relatively reasonable at idle. But unlike EFI vehicles, carb'd vehicles tend to be in a high idle when you start them up early on a cold morning.... outside your familys, and your neighbours bedroom windows (2.5" pipes, exiting by the rear bumper), makes everybody love you. =-)

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Project77

well i have the luxury of living away from everyone else so it doesnt matter to me everyone around here respects my exhaust even when i do hammer down on that pedal they say its very respectable considering the straight pipes everyone else likes around here they all give me very satisfying compliments
Old 08-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

have dyno maxes ,but am using cherry bombs

went with a friend to get his 2.5 spread to 3 inch inside the muffler
If i remember right it was either the inside was 2.5 anyways or he could only locate one 3 inch and one 2.5,both now 3s(gona check on this)

and now looking at his pics,they are not even on it Buick BB
says he loves it but hates gettin pulled over
Attached Images

Last edited by motornut; 08-11-2011 at 10:20 PM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
77trailering

veinbar- i have an extreme cam from comp cams and the requirements are 3000 stall, 3.73 gears, and 3'' pipes and exhuast....i called magnaflow and they told me to go with their 5x8x18 performance mufflers....but that it really wasn't too quiet...lol....

I'm really shooting for a sleeper with cut outs and i like the loud noise all....But i have two little girls and they love riding with me...I enjoy their conversation a little more when i can hear them.....lol

bruthaman - thanks, i believe i am going to go with some type of turbo muffler, just can't decide witch yet...

axle - dude your story was funny as hell....i had to read it twice and try not to laugh the second time.....but i hear you man, definitely it has to be quiet...the engine alone is loud already.....

project77 - where i stay, i don't need people wondering what i have....you know what i mean...plus i prefer to have the loudness with a click of a button.....

everybody else - thanks for the advice, i will keep you updated with my choice of mufflers....tomorrow i will be calling thrush and walker.....
Attached Images

Last edited by 77trailering; 08-11-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #16
77trailering

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
have dyno maxes ,but am using cherry bombs

went with a friend to get his 2.5 spread to 3 inch inside the muffler
If i remember right it was either the inside was 2.5 anyways or he could only locate one 3 inch and one 2.5,both now 3s(gona check on this)

and now looking at his pics,they are not even on it
says he loves it but hates getting pulled over
that looks nice.....mine is similar now, i really want an x-pipe. but, i've had a few places tell me the drive shaft is in the way....so might just stick to an h-pipe, but i haven't figured out where i will be placing the cutouts....
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
77trailering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77BBGMC View Post
I have Dynomax Super Turbos, 3" with h-pipe and tailpipes. Nice sound at idle but almost too quiet cruising or WOT.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks, i will look into to these tomorrow.....quiet is good....
Old 08-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
veinbar

That is one beautiful truck... The fact that it can look like that and and run circles around most makes it the model sleeper. Post a video so we can hear the exhaust you have now. I too wanted a quieter ride, so I grabbed Thrush (Cheap but good) Turbo Mufflers. Thrush even carries a product called "Hush Thrush Muffler" which is supposed to be even quieter with good performance and flow. Not sure of their size ranges...

Since I put my Thrush Turbo Mufflers in, I can enjoy conversations, music, and the sound of my failing rear end... It was exactly what I was after.

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/products.html
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 455ci, TH400, 2.73 Open - SOLD (but I still claim to own it from time to time)
veinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
406 Q-ship

3" is going to be loud, and to be honest you don't need it on the average street 383 even with the xtreme Comp Cam. 2 1/2" exhaust will support 550 hp 454 easily, I run 2 1/2" exhaust on my 406 Monte Carlo and it pulls like a freight train. Run the pipes over the axle will keep the noise down and make the interior alot more enjoyable.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #20
Pyrotechnic

I run Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow on my 383 with 2.5 inch pipe. It actually sounds really nice, has that old school muscle car sound without too much boomy resonance. It actually fools a lot of people because it's not overly loud and it hides how radical the motor is...well until I floor it anyway, the only give away is the choppy idle.

I know if I had gone with 40 series mufflers I would have ended up hating it. They are OK on a stock truck with catalytic converters, but with a wild motor and headers they are just too much and too boomy for a daily driver.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
jrcaprai

I have 2 1/2 on my 408 Roller motor, although I will be going to a 3" pipe on mine, but it is 550HP ... I am getting older and the 2 chamber flowmasters are too loud, so I am going to go to the Magnaflow's myself...
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #22
jrcaprai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
I run Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow on my 383 with 2.5 inch pipe. It actually sounds really nice, has that old school muscle car sound without too much boomy resonance. It actually fools a lot of people because it's not overly loud and it hides how radical the motor is...well until I floor it anyway, the only give away is the choppy idle.

I know if I had gone with 40 series mufflers I would have ended up hating it. They are OK on a stock truck with catalytic converters, but with a wild motor and headers they are just too much and too boomy for a daily driver.
What cam and heads do you have?
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #23
Pyrotechnic

Brodix 200CC heads, Comp Cams 276 roller, 10:1 compression.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #24
wiggins

I put a set of 2 1/2'' Borlas on my 454 and I love them. Whwn I got them I was worried they'd be to loud bc they have a straight threw desigh but They are pretty quite and still have a great sound when you put the pedal to the floor.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #25
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
i have a 383 very choppy idle and it requires a 3'' exhaust, but i can't stand the loudness of the mufflers.....it has an H pipe and i am putting summit 3'' cut outs and i can't decide what or which mufflers will be the most quiet ones....at the same time making sure it has 3'' in and 3'' out....i will really appreciate all advice and input, thank you
Not to ruin your thought process, but years ago, I built my first 383, and with some help from Flowmaster and their computers we figured out that a 383 is not going to move enough exhaust gases to need 3" piping. The idea sounds great, but the loss of exhaust efficiency was not worth the extra cash to make the sytem up. The exhaust gases need the piping to be right to allow the gases to create a vacuum effect as they loose their heat and energy. That is the idea of scavenging in a system. If you are running a single exhaust pipe, then yes the size would not matter, but with full length duals, the 2 1/2" piping is more than enough for a 383. If you plan to run the engine wide open, most of the time, then the 3" may work, but it is killing your performance otherwise.

I have run Flowmaster muffs and right now I am running Magnaflow muffs. I like the low rumble of the Magnaflows, but they bark as loud as the Flowmasters under a heavy pedal. I have been running my 383 around the country since 1996 and it has worked well for me. I also have the engined cammed up with a Comp Camstroller set up.