The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
dmcclanahan

door problem

How do you adjust the door? my diver side door is saging, it scarps the bottom of the door on the cab when I shut it. Do I by hing pins or replace the door?
dmcclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Your41Plague12

Re: door problem

Try the pins first, they're dirt cheap. It will most likely fix your problem.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

The doors were also prone to crack out at the hinge mounting points. Check that area as well. You may have a combination of the two.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

Where do you get the pins
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
soultosoul13

i am also curious how to do this, both my doors shut very hard and i think they need to be adjusted...
Old 08-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Hevy

Hinge pins and bushings... unless you have a jack mounted door holder put a piece of wood on top of a floor jack under the door, have a friend hold the door, pull the hinge spring out, knock the pins out with a punch and hammer, pull the door back far enough to knock the bushings out (watch how they go in, there are larger and smaller bushings), push the new bushings in with channel locks, move the door back in and hammer in the new pins, reinstall the hinge spring...
Hevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
soultosoul13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy View Post
Hinge pins and bushings... unless you have a jack mounted door holder put a piece of wood on top of a floor jack under the door, have a friend hold the door, pull the hinge spring out, knock the pins out with a punch and hammer, pull the door back far enough to knock the bushings out (watch how they go in, there are larger and smaller bushings), push the new bushings in with channel locks, move the door back in and hammer in the new pins, reinstall the hinge spring...
any chance the spring can be removed/installed with maybe needle nose pliers, or do i need to buy the special tool??
Old 08-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

You should be able to get the tool for under $10, or just rent it. Needle nose pliers won't cut it. You can get aftermarket pins and bushings, but they won't last. Spring for the GM ones, it's definitely worth the extra cost not to have to do it again next year.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

Where do i get these pins at
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Hevy

You can pop the spring out with a screw driver but need a compressor to reinstall it.
Buy the pins, bushings, and retainers at the dealer.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #11
T-Bone Tommy

I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago. I picked mine up at Advanced Auto Parts, got both of them and has extra bushings that you will need if the holes a wallered out. It fixed mine completly no drag at all now.
T-Bone Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Da88burban
GM's 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone Tommy View Post
I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago. I picked mine up at Advanced Auto Parts, got both of them and has extra bushings that you will need if the holes a wallered out. It fixed mine completly no drag at all now.
Wuz up nice to see another person from Greenwood on here.

Also heres a link to get the springs back in.

'54 Chevy 3100 "Just a Mess"
'74 Chevy Super 10 468BB "One Fast Rust Bucket"
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT
'88 Chevy burb "Tha Big Turd"
'93 GMC Safari "Bone Crusher"

.................____________
.............../______l___|___\____
;,;,;,;,;,;,;|__(O)_| __l___l__(O) |
Da88burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
Hevy

It's easier and just about as cheap to get the tool and do it right.

Northern Auto Parts has em for $6.30

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...ntoryId=687537
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
azjaeger

if the door is cracked at the mounting points, is it an easy weld fix?
azjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
tucsonjwt

Caution: Long Post Ahead.
I assume you guys are talking about a 73-87 square, not a late model like in the video.
What I did:
If you have power doors, you need to take the interior panel off and disconnect the harness for the power windows/locks and push the harness out through the boot you disconnect on the front of the door.
Then support the door somehow. I just built a platform out of scrap 2x4s and snugged it under the door. Some hang the door by a sling from an engine hoist but the 2x4s worked fine for me.
Cut the door pins in the center with a Dremel tool and cutoff wheel - get a wider wheel than the standard Dremel tool or you will have to hack at the pin from different angles to get all the way through.
Drive the pins out with a punch and remove the door.
Replace the bushings in the hinge, line the door back up, drive the new pins in from the top. Thread the harnesses back through the hole in the front of the door and reconnect the lock actuator, power window motor and switches. (pay attention to the orientation of the connectors -which end is up- because you won't be able to see them once you reinstall them.
DO NOT get aftermarket pins, unless you want to ream out the holes in the hinges to accommodate the oversize splined area under the head of the aftermarket hinge pins.
If you buy GM pins online the vendors sell them in GM standard packs - 20 bushings per pack and 10 pins per pack, so you will spend about $60 for a set of 10 - I bought a set of 10 and used 2 - sold the rest here recently to other fourm members for less. Your local dealer might sell you pins and bushings one set at a time, if they have them. My local dealers are too lazy to look for the pins and bushings and don't like dealing with customers looking for obsolete parts. GM part numbers are discussed with my first failed attempt to install aftermarket pins here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...oor+hinge+pins
My successful second attempt to install GM pins and bushings is discussed here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...oor+hinge+pins
I you cannot get pins and bushings from your local dealer, post back here and I can direct you to online GM sources for pins and bushings - possibly you can get less than 10 pins from one source.
If your door metal is ripped, welding is possible but I doubt you have that problem unless your truck is really trashed - like a commercial vehicle with lots of use. The welding repair I have seen done is where the hinge is literally ripped away from the metal of the door from overuse. If I had that condition I would just get another door and salvage/sell parts off my existing door.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
dmcclanahan

Thanks tucsonjwt I have the part numbers and will be going to my local dealer to see if i can hind them.

bushings # 9721917
hinge pins # 20046147

Hate that you had to go through that, but thanks for letting us square body’s guys not have to go through the same thing.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #17
tucsonjwt

If you have trouble getting pins and bushings at a reasonable price, you might contact the forum member who bought 16 sets from me recently. Search the 73-87 parts for sale under my name and maybe ask the buyer if he will part with 2 sets (or more) - likely he will. I think the gm list price on 1 pin and 2 bushings is about $6+ tax, but that is priced in packs of 10 pins and 20 bushings, unless you get a dealer to split them. Lots of suppliers sell them online in packs (maybe one vendor individual sets). Do a google search for those part numbers and you will get a lot of choices. I always check the following for OEM GM or AC Delco parts - some have free shipping over $25/$50/$100, etc.
www.oewarehouse.com
www.oehq.com
www.autopartstomorrow.com
www.rockauto.com
www.gmpartsdirect.com
www.amazon.com
www.ebay.com
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #18
JRANGER

I jsut looked all over my truck and there are no springs... see pins and hinges on my 78 thats it...How do I fix that? Doesnt even look like a place for a spring
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
dmcclanahan

The older late model truck dont have springs. Its a pice of metal about a 1/4 that is bent into a "S" shap that gives it the "spring". You wont need to fix anything unless your replacing the pins. There are no springs to replace.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
JRANGER

ok gotcha...and yes im gonna replace the pins as both doors rub and have to be slammed...So i think ill take the one guys approach and build a platform for the door to sit on as i remove and replace them...I need what 4 pings and 8 bushings?
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
dmcclanahan

Has anyone had their door tear like a piece of paper (where the hinge is bolted to the door)? Can you weld it and have the problem go away?
Old 03-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #22
jhngardner367

I've seen the cheap,replacement doors rip,but not an oem,unless it snagged on something and got pulled.
I can't fix what ain't broke....you want I should break it?
jhngardner367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #23
1967ChevyC50Flatbed

Check your door on the bottom if it moves up and down then the pins are shot if it doesn't then you need to take the inner fender off and adjust it, I'm having the same problem pins are good and I've adjusted the hinges a million times and tightened the hell out of them then they end up loosening up somehow and sagging again and finally I got fed up and but washers on the bottom hinge and suprisingly it's stayed in the same place and hasent moved I don't know if the hinges finally fell to their max adjustment position or what but it worked
Posted via Mobile Device
1993 Pontiac Firebird
1967ChevyC50Flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #24
dmcclanahan

jhngardner- it is a own door and the guy.that had the truck before me didn't take care of it all. Have u ever seen or heard some weld it back together?
Posted via Mobile Device