The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
lenguini

Has anyone used the vintage air gen 11 compac or mini system 64-66 ?

Have a Vintage air Gen 11 super mock up unit...,looks like its gonna be too tight.Think the Gen 11 compac or minin might be a better way to go.Want to tuck up behind the glove box(eliminating it anyway) so little to zero hangs below the dash.Not going to use the sure fit system as firewall no welded up and smoothed.

Has anyone used one of these units ?

Help will be largly appreciated !

Thanks in advance.
lenguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
brokenspoke

Re: Has anyone used the vintage air gen 11 compac or mini system 64-66 ?

Vintage Air is currently developing a sure fit for the Gen IV..should be ready in 4 weeks..I'm going to wait and see how it fits
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Shooters_7

Look at Old Air based out of Dallas as I hear they have good products!
Shooters_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Fastrucken

I was not very happy with my old air kit. I lived in shreveport Louisiana untill 2 yrs ago. It is almost always humid, didnt matter if it was 95 or 35 deg. so de-humidification is paramount. I called tech support and asked If I could run the a/c and heat at the same time (this is how most cars made after the 90's dom esp when you put defrost on). Their reply was yes. It took some modification on my part and was not very happy with the results. I also felt the unit seemed to not flow enough air. It did get cold enough and it does get warm enough again just not enough flow. The kit they sold me was completeand I didnt have to buy much to install. I felt the controls were ok (mimic the factory style control panel) but didnt like the way you adjusted the temp of the heat. Its comtroled by a valve in line with the heater hoses. A blend system (mixing cool and warm air) is much better at controling and maintaining the cabin temp. I will be removing the old air evaporator and replacing it with a gen iv kit from vintage air. I think the additional money would be worth it to start with the vintage air IV kit from the begining

Graham
Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Fastrucken

Also I started with the kit on the 283 that was in the truck and it did work just as well when I swapped int he 5.3l