The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
neverwinter

how can i repair my manual steering

without going to power steering?

i spoke with the mechanic again and he mentioned something about sourcing a new centerlink? he said the steering setup is literally about to spearate? which would mean that i could be going down the road and my wheels would no longer be connected to the steering - not good!

also said all of the power assist stuff seems shot. without swapping to power steering, is there a way to fix this stuff? do i need to source a 60-63 centerlink and replace the power assist stuff or can in skip those altogether?

sorry for newb questions. i am going to look at a parts truck (1980ish) and need to decide what to grab. id like to keep things as simple as possible but if i need to go to power steering i will look into the following:

disks, spindles, powe steering, centerlink, steering col, master cyl, wheels, rear end, or do i just fix the drums and the manual steering? i really dont want to rebuild the entire truck but id rather spend a little more time and cash now than redo it all later. b the way its a 63 c10 1/2 ton 8 fot bed. thanks for any help.
- jason

Last edited by neverwinter; 09-09-2011 at 08:22 PM.
neverwinter is offline   Reply With Quote