The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
overloaded

From the new guy...what to do with a LWB c30 dump?

Hi All...time to stop lurking and start posting. I grew up in a truckless family (dad towed trailers and hauled firewood in a 69 Cadillac convertible...) and always idolized the late 70's Chevy and GMC trucks. But I never had one until recently - There was always another brand in the driveway.

It started with a 78 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6 cylinder and header...which got me hooked. Then when I needed to haul gravel to build our driveway, I ended up with this beast.
75 Chevy C30 with a mildly built 454, 4 speed, and monster 8x12 hydraulic dump. One owner, 80k miles, runs and hauls great. 4.56 gears.Original owner installed the bed for a concrete business, and it really belongs on a 2 ton truck. The bulkhead alone has to weigh 300lbs!?

But now that I'm done using it, no one else seems to want it for anything more than scrap price, so I guess it will stay around. But what to do? I don't need to drag around a 2500lb flatbed everywhere I go...Was thinking of building a lighter, fixed in place flatbed, or even a ramp bed. And now that a 16yo kid pulled out in front of my 3/4 ton, I'm short a tow rig for awhile.

Have you guys seen anything interesting done with this longer chassis? (BTW, that's 6.72 tons of limestone in the back...truck doesn't even flinch)
Attached Images

overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: From the new guy...what to do with a LWB c30 dump?

welcome to the board.. lots of people build flatbeds for these trucks.. you could prolly just take a torch to the one you have and make it a decent flatbed and take out the hydraulic dump to lighten it up some, but i think that truck would be pretty handy as it sits

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
overloaded

Oh, and here's the little truck...doing what GMCs were meant to do, drag Fords behind them
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

I know this sounds like somebody from the rust free southwest, but considering the rust you have on that truck I can't see how it is worth putting more money into it. I would just keep it as is for the times you do need a dump truck. I had my 3/4 ton converted to a dump hoist but it only lifts about 1 ton, so it is only useful for small loads - but it is nice for taking trash to the dump. Around here people are offering $350 and up for scrap vehicles - maybe you have some significant value in parts in that truck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
overloaded

It does, but that's all we've got in ohio!

Tempting to part it out for the weight alone - scrap is almost 300/ton and it went across the scales at 8000lbs empty last time I got gravel.

But, the 454 is a really good runner and sounds really good with that mild cam and 290 heads. Frame is solid, floors and rockers are weak. It drives really tight too...Kind of a shame not to use it more.

Will probably keep it intact for the occasional odd job as Bob suggested. We can always 'borrow' parts for the other trucks if needed...
Old 09-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Axle

Shoot it one color on the cheap and drive it as-is. Scrap isn't worth it (given that it is a good runner).
You likely won't get as much as you think on scrap as you'll probably need to drain all fluids (how big is the hydrallic tank?) and remove tires to get the high side of price. Then yank the engine/trans for yourself (there goes nearly half a ton), your better off just driving it around with a forsale sign permanently stuck in the window.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
PRattenbury

Seems like a candidate for one of those Jerr-Dan rollback beds. Looks like you tow vehicles around on occasion. You could use that truck as a rollback for towing duties.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

i know what i would do with it:

Detroit series 60 and roadranger transmission in the back and move the rear axle back (shouldn't be too hard) if nessesary.

the only real problem is how to control the shifter, but if cabovers were able to do it then it should not be too big a deal to fashion up some sort of linkage system.

This all sounds crazy, but really when you think about it, it's not.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
donut

My nickles worth (inflation). Is the bed home built? If so it's more than likely overbuilt (and heavy). Look for a 12' rack body- depending on the frame rails and your usage you may be able to go shorter.
Keep the hydro's, IMO a dumping rack body is the best of both worlds. You can still purchase beds through the dealership, or they can hook you up with a local supplier-fabricator.

2) Rollback like mentioned.

3)Clean up what you've got. If the bed is in decent shape, a little paint would do wonders. I would rework that massive headboard though, but that's my personal opinion. The chassis can be reworked like any other.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
overloaded

Donut, you've got a good idea there...Right now the two obstacles that make it less useful for me are weight, and rear overhang. As it sits I'd have to build a 2' extension off the rear frame to have a usable receiver hitch. Its doable, but doesn't seem very safe for the 10-12k lb trailer I might have behind it.

Also, that bed is like dragging around an anchor, despite its usefulness. Previous owner's son said it was the "biggest bed the dealer could legally install" before adding the bulkhead and spreader gate. Solid steel floor, C channel stringers, etc. You can easily fill it way over what the truck can take, with room to spare!

Maybe I could bob about 2' off the bed, replace the bulkhead with a tubular frame and expanded metal mesh insert, store the tailgate and run the metal stake sides...That could trim off 5-700 lbs? Might earn me 1 mpg or so, LOL

Hate to sound picky, but the CC was advertised as weighing 4900lbs or so, and I'm close to 8k with this rig, so there's an extra hyundai's worth of steel there.

Last edited by overloaded; 09-25-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
overloaded

Those sideboards are probably pretty beefy too...
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #12
MalibuSSwagon

The hydro dump is a useful thing to have, I know my father and I would love to have that truck and a small backhoe, would be great for cleaning up and maintaining our land.

But if you don't need the dump action and would rather haul heavy trailers, prehaps sell the hydraulics, scrap the bed and install a flatbed and fifth wheel? I hear thats the way to go for a heavy trailer rather than the bumper pull.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #13
overloaded

Guess I'm kinda greedy...I want a truck to do it all

Only trailer we pull now is a 22' flatbed bumper pull that maxes out at 12k lbs

Never got into the 5th wheels, as it seems whenever I go to an auction the trailer and bed of the truck get filled to the brim with parts!

Tongue weight isn't usually a problem when we run "cheater" spring bars.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #14
donut

That's why a rack-body may do you well, you can pile it higher. (iirc my old racks were 3' tall) They also give you someplace to tie items off too. If your hauling loose stuff, you can mount plywood to the inside of the racks. (even if plywood strips are only a foot tall, it would still work.)

I used to work for a small welding company, and on a couple of the trucks, we had purpose built beds. When the boss replaced my old truck with a long 3500HD, we opted for the rack body. Much more useful. IIRC that truck had a 12' bed (may have even been longer, it's been over 10 years. 16'?), and was also set up to haul trailers, just wish it dumped too.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

it the cab is the only thing making that truck bad id replace the cab.. they are cheap enough and you could find clean ones for a coupleof hundred dollars.. then id fix the bed and paint it and even tho its a work horse and occasional use vehicle you would prolly find it alot better to work with

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #16
BigBlocksRule

I'd hang onto it as long as the frame is decent. A hydraulic dump would be handy as pockets on a shirt.

Gas mileage is going up every day...as your truck rusts away and gets lighter...

Sorry, us Texas boys are spoiled with straight, rust-free trucks.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote