The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
JNB

How To Rebuild Rear End of a 1966 Chevy C-10

I am sure I will receive lots of leave it to a professional replies. Let me explain I am currently fighting a battle with cancer and this 1966 project with my father in law is his way of us spending time together doing something we both dearly enjoy. The truck has been sitting in the pasture for 25 years so our shear enjoyment of getting it running has been excellent. We have the motor (283) running, which we rebuilt the carb, replaced the distributor, fuel pump replaced also, It was as I said wonderful to hear it run. We have replaced the clutch, throw out bearing and pressure plate. Now we are in need of rebuilding the rear end and we are in need of some help as to where to find manuals, advice, really any help at all. Let me explain the need for the rebuild is when we removed the pinion seal to replace due to a leak we found that the pinion bearing and sleeve were shot. So please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JNB; 10-11-2011 at 01:20 AM.
JNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: How To Rebuild Rear End of a 1966 Chevy C-10

Take a look here and see if this helps you out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484897

I wish you the best of luck in your battle

Let us know if we can help any further.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
JNB

Thank you for your help I will share this with my father in law in the morning and will keep posts to update our progress. Also thank you for your best wishes. Greatly appreciate the help.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

My sister is a survivor, she got through it with alot of ribbing, tears and laughter. You'd never know by looking at her now.
Wish I was closer to home, have a few GM books on diff rebuilding and servicing . But the thread seams to have it in order.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
T Smith

I have set up a bunch of gearsets back when I was into 4x4 Jeeps and Scouts, patience is key. Sometimes they set up first try and sometimes it takes numerous dissassemblies and shim swappings, be prepared for frustration! A good press and bearing pullers are almost mandatory, driving bearings off an on with a hammer is not the best way.

Good luck with your cancer battle! I have succesfully beaten pancreatic cancer (ductile adenocarcinoma), was the fight of my life. I had a negative test Friday and am cancer free, 9 months post radiation and 6 months post chemo, finally starting to feel like a man again and start back to work next week after a 13 month leave. Hang in there, you can beat it!
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
JNB

Thank you we really appreciate the help and input. Congrats on the negative test wonderful news. I am battling brain and bone cancer outlook by doctors are bleak but I am not ready to give up. My family has been wonderful through this and with my father in law bringing this project into restoring this 66 is his way of spending time and giving me something to keep occupied.
Barbara
Old 10-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
JNB

Wonderful... Family is a very strong need through out everything in life. Great to hear your sister is a survivor. Lots of ribbing, laughter and tears that is great. I am taking one day at a time and I have to say I am having an excellent time on this project. I am learning so many things not only with the truck but my father in law and I have never been closer. Thank you all for your well wishes and your helpful advice.
Barbara