The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
J.Cagle

3 speed column shifter into auto shifter..?????

Ok guys, sorry for all the stupid questions. But, I am new to this and run into new problems everyday. I went from an I6 3 speed on the tree to a 350 auto. How can I hook my original 3 speed shifter up to opperate the auto tans??? Thanks, Jared
Old 10-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
losthope

Re: 3 speed column shifter into auto shifter..?????

i dont know about on trucks but on my 54 ford car it was a three on tree and i put a auto th350 in it,the shifter had two rods to operate the three on tree i just hooked up one and you would have to pull back torwards you on the shift lever and count the clicks as you shifted P>R>N>D and then when you let the shifter go it would pop back forward and you couldnt move it unless you pulled back again, besides that i think you have to swap the column out ,but i might be wrong! might be worth a shot trying one of the rods for the three on the tree if you are just trying to drive it and swap the column later...i belive one rod you would have to push forward to shift and the other rod you have to pull back to shift!

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
ChrisDollins

I just recently asked the same question. Looks like it's pretty simple, definatly something I will be doing. That way when the little one is riding in the middle, he won't be kicking us into neutral lol.

Chris

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=487150
ChrisDollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Indian113

It would be funny if you left the clutch pedal in it-well maybe
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
williamsboys

so instead of the 3 on the tree in an H pattern, your saying you would just pull it to yourself for all the gears? almost like a motorcycle shifter?
williamsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
losthope

yes! as i remember correctly one rod is the one that you pulled towards you and shifted up for reverse and then down into 1st gear and the other rod was push away and up into 2nd gear and away down was 3rd gear...by only hooking up the rod that did reverse and 1st that would be the one to use so it still use's the mechanism in column that makes you pull it towards you to move lever and the reverse spot becomes your new park and when you shift down towards the 1st gear spot it goes thur the gears for new tranny....if that makes sence....if you just unhook both rods and get into cab and pull back and shift it will just move one rod back and forth have someone look at which ones moving......all your really doing is using the first shifting path of the H...hope you understand that.....then you just take out the other rod. Its the same thing a auto shift does you just dont have the letter indicator on the column. You will feel it click into each gear.

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142

Last edited by losthope; 10-12-2011 at 09:49 PM.
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
rustyrodknocker

I'll be interested to see how this works. I like the idea. I loved the parking brake shifter that one guy did. A friend told me of a four onthe tree his uncle built. Which I have vowed to do at some point. Proably as soon as I end up with a car fourspeed. I drove a nova for acouple years with no shifter just the rods under the floor. I loved it.
Posted via Mobile Device
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote