The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
spookyu

Where to begin with this 69 C10 project?

So I picked up my first truck this morning, I'm giddy like a frigg'n school girl right now. It's a real diamond in the rough right now though, making a list of things I want to do to it, but not sure where I should start, could you guys help me out? Here's my list.

-Someone did a terrible paint job and then got half way through taking it off, need to take the rest of the paint off (could use advice on how to go about this) in preparation for new paint
-A couple dents that can be banged out, some other spots need filler (not rust, just some odd holes, not many)
-Various chrome pieces could use some attention, straighten a few out, clean them up
-Gasket around transmission pan leaking, never done a fix like this but I'm 90% sure I can take care of it myself no problems, asked some friends and done a bit of reading on the subject
-Someone (I'm guessing the same guy who did the terrible paint job) took a torch to the front springs, I'm finding them online for about a hundred bucks a pop, I'm just worried the job of replacing them is over my head (would LOVE advice on this one)
-When I press hard on the brakes it pulls to the left a good bit, don't know why it's doing that, need to figure it out
-The bed needs work, pretty beat up, probably couldn't get it perfect but I'd like to get it close
-The truck has AC, but of course it doesn't work. Looks like someone used it for parts, don't know where to begin with it, looks salvageable though.

Ugh when I type all that out it sounds like I bought a real POS! Probably paid way too much for it too. You know what though, I've wanted a project like this for a long time so I don't care. I only need to drive it back and forth to work (about 5 miles) during the week, and I have a second more reliable car. I am a novice though, not clueless, just inexperienced, and I'd love any and all advice you could provide. I'm looking to learn from this project. The end result doesn't need to be a show truck, just something that looks nice that I can use like a real truck (camping, hauling crap around, sit in the bed and drink beer, etc.).

-Carl
Attached Images

spookyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
50bomb

Re: Where to begin with this 69 C10 project?

Looks good from here. I have a c10 I am building for same reasons especially camping/fishing/hunting. POST SOME MORE PICTURES.
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
spookyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50bomb View Post
Looks good from here. I have a c10 I am building for same reasons especially camping/fishing/hunting. POST SOME MORE PICTURES.
ROGER WILCO!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
spookyu

No suggestions?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
omodified

Congrats Spooky. Looks like a good start. Replacing your springs is really easy. Autozone rents a spring compressor. You take the tire off. Compress the spring. Disconnect shock. Use a pickle fork to disconnect the upper ball joint from the spindle. Spring comes right out. Put the new spring in reverse of that.

As far as your brake pulling left issue, I would take the left front drum off and inspect the brake parts. It sounds like maybe a bad wheel cylinder. Sometime those things go bad and leak. It will cause the brake to grab hard which could make it pull left. That would be a good place to start.
Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848

Last edited by omodified; 10-16-2011 at 03:01 PM.
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Steve Hafner

. . .

Check out my 70's build thread below, it looked a lot like yours when the restoration was started, three years ago.

Life is short . . . we only have, right now.

. . . .

My 70 C-10's BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475526
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
domeier

I like it! Looks like a no-surprises truck, and broke aircon is 1,000x better than no aircon.

If it was me, I'd start with the brakes. Oh, and before you do anything, get yourself a factory repair manual. It'll run about $30, but worth every penny. I got mine from Amazon.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

WELCOME!!! I agree with the brake thing.Brakes are usually a good learning experience.Hopefully you have someone who can help walk you thru that.Then drive it.To the store,to the lake,to g-ma's house,back and forth to work.Make a list of things you don't like.Decide whether they are absolutely have to change items or I would like this different.Come up with a plan.Then stick to the plan.Changes cost a lot of money.Don't try a frame off for your first project,build it while you drive it.And welcome to the Lays Potato Chip of trucks.No one can have just one.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
wild4wheels

Congrats on the truck! I'm excited for you! Say, quick thing on your brakes pulling ..I had the same thing on my 67 w/ drum brakes. Someone here on the board told me, and I didn't believe it till I tried it and it worked... but before you go and tear your brakes all apart you may want to find a big parking lot,(empty) drive to the end of it, put your truck in reverse, get some speed up and MASH on the brakes. (repeat) I did it a couple of times but then tried it going forward, they adjusted themselves out and it braked straight as an arrow.. worked for me, I used to have to do this once a year or so. If it doesn't work, then go ahead and tear it apart! Even if it doesn't work, it's still fun to do! Keep us posted on the progress!

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Autoblueprint

Lightbulb Re: Where to begin with this 69 C10 project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyu@gmail.com View Post
...not sure where I should start...
A FACTORY service manual should be your first "part" purchase...it is an invaluable resource.

Nice truck !!!! Can't wait to see how it comes along.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
yuccales

That 69 is not that bad at all. It's going to be a fun project. Take your time and enjoy.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #12
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks like a nice start and I agree on the above responses...
Old 10-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

cool ol truck

I agree with above as well lol

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:07 AM   #14
spookyu

Awesome guys! That's just the info I was looking for, thank you! While I was waiting I started stripping some of the crappy paint off. The brakes have been getting better oddly enough, been driving it around a lot (this won't be a off frame restoration) gonna have to try that parking lot trick though! The brake shoes where JUST replaced so maybe it has to do with that? Since the brakes aren't wonky anyore....springs sound like a good place to start so I'll do like you said. Someone mentioned to me that if they hacked the old springs like this that the shocks are often shot as well, think I should just go ahead and replace them as well or hold off? Trying to find a factory manual on amazon but having trouble, can anyone link me? Anyway, thanks guys your responses have helped a lot.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #15
lil hoodlum

Carl from North Texas! I love your "new" old truck. It looks to be fairly complete and I'm sure you will enjoy it for a long time. The factory manual is indeed a handy resource. I have also used the Haynes repair manual. You can more than likely find the Haynes manual at any auto parts store.

The first time I changed out the coil springs in my truck I wrapped a heavy duty chain through the spring and lower control arm. Like I said, it was my first time changing the springs and I was worried I might mess something up and the spring would go flying out. Well I just took my time and it surpisingly was kinda easy to do. And no, the spring didn't come flying out!

I will caution you about the "might as wells". Sometimes a quick project can take on a snow ball affect when you start fixing or replacing things (i.e. I might as well fix or replace "name your part" since I've got things this far a part. Next thing you know your truck is in a thousand little pieces.

Just repair a thing or two and keep your truck in a running and driving state.

Have fun with your "new" ride.

Keith

Last edited by lil hoodlum; 10-17-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: forgot word
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
domeier

Amazon.com: 1969 Chevy Chevrolet Truck Repair... Amazon.com: 1969 Chevy Chevrolet Truck Repair...
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #17
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Welcome from Florida! Dude, thats a cool truck, and joining this forum was a very smart thing to do. Lots of smart people here that are willing to help.
One of the first things is order catalogs from all the parts suppliers like LMC, Classic Parts (several "Classic" named suppliers) etc., they are free and you can learn a lot just by thumbing through them.
Fix your brakes, check all your rubber lines (vach) and hoses and take care of your mechanical stuff first. You'll have time to make it look better later.
And don't be afraid to ask questions...even if you think there dumb ones...there not.
Good luck and keep us posted.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #18
57larry

that's a good looking truck. I'd just drive the truck just the way it looks. Check out your front brake hoses
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
tow guys

Grats on your new to you truck! Looks like a winner to me. I'd roll it just like it sits cosmetically for now.
Like evryone is saying, work out your mechanical issues first and make it safe. Then decide where to go from there.
Best of luck and keep us in the know with a resto thread and update as you make progress

Tony
tow guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #20
spookyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tow guys View Post
Grats on your new to you truck! Looks like a winner to me. I'd roll it just like it sits cosmetically for now.
Like evryone is saying, work out your mechanical issues first and make it safe. Then decide where to go from there.
Best of luck and keep us in the know with a resto thread and update as you make progress

Tony
I think I will start a resto thread, maybe another novice can see my blunders and learn from them. Let me get my ducks in a row and I'll start updating tomorrow I think.

Oh, before I get started I wanted to mention that my brakes magically sorted themselves out, not pulling to the left at all now. I'm inclined to think it was because the brake shoes where brand new and had maybe 2 or 3 miles on them, think that's plausible? No trouble with them at all now.

Uh speaking of blunders....well I'm waiting on the front springs to be delivered so I can get that knocked out (also gonna do the trans pan gasket while I've got it up), so I started stripping some paint because I figured it couldn't hurt and why waste time? Well I was using a scraper and the paint job was pealing off perfectly so just the primer was left it was going fine. Well first off I don't know if that's the right way to go about it anyway, is it? Well someone gave me some automotive paint stripper to try, and I sprayed about a 1 foot square section of the bed to test it out....worked a little too good, took everything off all the way so I'm left with shiny metal (picture below). It's starting to get to be the rainy season here, and I'm worried that if I don't finish the body work and get it painted ASAP I'll be left with a giant patch of rust? Is this something I need to worry about you think? Think I should buy a spray can of primer and cover that spot until I finish the rest and just sand it off again? Ugh I feel stupid now.

Last edited by spookyu; 10-17-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Add picture.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Thanks for the ride the other day! Maybe I'll have my ol blue truck up here see ya round fairchild! Truck looked GREAT! Give me a shout oneday when you work on the truck, id love to help whatever etc im in the dorms next to the hobbyshop

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #22
twangismythang

I liked the part about drankin beer, looks like you will be drankin many workin on that truck, but thats what makes it so much fun. Congrats on the find, at least yours runs....lol
twangismythang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
Graham57a

Looks like a good oportunity to learn how to do paint and body work. Idk if you are more of a classic guy or more of a hot rod guy but if it were my truck i would probably put stock height springs in it, make the interior a little more original, and do a wheel swap for some original full wheel covers. That is a great start to a nice truck. As long as youre driving it that's all that matters

1972 Chevy SWB Cheyenne Super JANE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=462072
1972 GMC Jimmy PENNY http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=735827
1968 GMC patina swb PEARL http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=731315
1972 Chevy K20 BRUCE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805788
1972 Chevy SWB Highlander OLIVE Build thread coming
Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
weaintscared

Now that a nice find, good looking truck keep us all up to date on your build.

My Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=468622
Posted via Mobile Device
weaintscared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #25
54belair

Since you arent looking for a show truck, it will make it a little easier. If you were going show quality--you would have to tighten, loosen or replace every nut bolt or screw on the truck. A nice looking street truck is somewhat easier.
In the beginning the task seems daunting but,, Make an overall list of things wrong othings you want to fix/change or add.
Then, divide that list into two groups: things you want, and thngs you need.
Deciding what is a want or a need will create a few grey areas, but you can work those out. Then---do the Need list first. Safety and reliability issues will definitely be on the Need list.
Good luck, and have fun while youre doing it.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote