The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
LT1 Burb

Should every garage have a plasma cutter

I was looking at the Hypertherm powermax 30 and was wondering if it was worth spending the money on a plasma cutter. Is it something a guy would get much use out of if he was restoring a truck.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Born Lucky

Re: Should every garage have a plasma cutter

I would look at the tools I have already.
Do you have a welder, Drill press, good selection of hand tools, specialty tools
If you have all then a plasma cutter is a good idea. I do not think you need a plasma cutter to restore a vehicle, you cut use your cut off tool or any other cutting tool. But, if you are like me I would love one for other things!
Born Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
pdxhall

I'm not sure you need one. But if they weren't so dam$ed expensive I'd sure have one. I just think their cool and would sure make quick work out of cutting any metal that you need to cut. You know the sayiing " He who dies with the most toys wins."
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

I would highly recommend one they are great and save alot of time but the big but! i would personally buy a good used one off of craigslist or ebay as the value wont go down so if you ever have to sell you will probably get your money back if you buy new you always seem to loose money if you use it alot buy new! for the average guy i would buy used! just my 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
rideblue00

I use one at work and like it. I would really like one for home. Im tired of buying cutoff wheels. If you do alot of metalworking(other than truck stuff) i think its worth it.
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
198plus

We had one at the shop, never used it so I sold it.......
198plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
joedoh

I bought a hypertherm 600 when I had a small windfall parting out a mazda rx7. I call it the time machine, because before I had it I would spend most of a day driving around buying cutoff wheels and sawzall blades and flap discs and cutting and grinding and cutting and grinding. Now with the plasma its zip zip and you are standing there, done 4 hours early. Done before the compressor shuts off. done before you sipped a beer.

I got a 600 because I knew I would use it for suspension. Also, being an enginerd, I knew I would eventually want a cnc table and machine head. Do I need all that capacity now? no. but I like buying tools once, my 220 welder was purchased before I even had 220 in the house.

hyperthem stuff is really good and if all you will be doing is a lot of sheetmetal, then the 30 will work. can you drag the tip? thats important.

I got a fine cut kit for mine that gives a super high quality cut on thin metal.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
gearheads78

I use mine all the time. I asked a similar queston on another board a few years ago and got lots of you won't use it, don't need it ect. It will collect dust blah blah. I did not listen and so glad I didn't. I use it a ton.
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
jocko

eastwood, and more importantly (in my pea brain), Miller both offer some new "lower" cost plasmas that are at least bringing them CLOSER to my price range. But the most important question is how much would you really use it. If just working 1 or 2 trucks, then you should probably buy it if you just like cool tools and have money falling out of your pockets. If you are a revolving door of projects, then you'd probably really get your money's worth out of it. For me, that would be a "retirement" gift someday, can't afford it right now - too many other things to spend the $ on. But all depends on your situation! I hope you get it!
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
rustyrodknocker

To answer your question. No. It is not something a guy would get much use out of if he was restoring a truck.
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Rich 5150 69

I have thought about it, but never did for the same reason, just would not warrant it...now if you have a few friends that want to go in together that does work out well.
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #12
Rooster's 67

I have one and use it for many things, is it a "required" tool no! I use my cut off and grinding wheels more in the course of restoration. but the plasma comes in very handy in terms of fabrication, custom floors, firewalls, brackets, custom palm tree cut out taillights,etc,etc,etc. I would buy one if you have the basic tools you need, and the money is "extra"

Note the Running lights on the lower panel in the pics, cant do those with a cutoff wheel very easy.
Attached Images

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 AM   #13
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

For a person that does a lot of fabricating it would seem to be a nice to have. I've been building street rods since the 1960's and have never even owned a welder. The few times I needed something welded, paying a pro was cheaper than investing in equipment. Much like a plasma cutter - a welder would have been a nice to have and would have allowed a lot more creativity, and skill development. It's really a matter of how often the equipment would be used compared to what else could be acquired with the same amount of money (like more car parts).
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 AM   #14
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

I would have one in a hearbeat, if I could justify spending that much money on something like that right now. They are very handy when you need them, but with so many other things I need to purchase and work on, it just doesn't make financial sense for me at the moment. Plus, I'm having a ball getting better with an angle grinder.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
biohazardbill

This is the way I look at it.....

Who here has a compressor and impact sockets.... and also a standard socket set?

Both will do the same thing... one saves time with a higher cost.

I will be buying a plasma soon as with all the bracing etc in my cab at the moment somtimes hard to get a grinder etc in there and in some of the position i have to be in to get a nice cut I have to eat a few sparks now and then. That to me makes the plasma very appealing. Also with a plasma I may not have had to remove as much metal as I did to make room for orbital discs.

I also look long term, this is my first resto build on a truck that matters, all my old builds were 4x4 machines that took a beating and looks didnt matter. In doing this my wife now wants a Chevelle and daughter wants an old bug or truck like mine... so I know I will be using it down the road. Wife and daughter also like metal crafts so that along with the welder will help and save time.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #16
duallyjams

If you an afford one then get one. I have had mine for 10yrs and love it. You will find all kind of thing you can use it on.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
MalibuKasey
Artist

On my truck I have used it three times... Once for the trailing arm crossmember and the other for what was left of the original 3spd crossmember and last the c-notch.... and thats been it. I dont see you using it at all for a restoration.... but a mild to wild custom I wouldnt live without it. I will say this... BUY A GOOD ONE!! I have a "cost effective" one and it sucks... especially since I have used a really nice 220 miller. That thing sliced through a 1/4" frame like butter! where as the 120 unit I have took ALOT longer! Food for thought...
Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
neverwinter

i bought a 120v hobart about 4 years ago used it maybe 10 times. great for thin sheetmetal but anything above 3/16 can be a long process. my oxy setup works faster AND welds. of course cut off wheels too. i was actually thinking of posting my plasma and mig for sale.
neverwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I've seen the combo plasma cutter/tig setups which are tempting

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #20
Indian113

I have a Snap on 110 plasma cutter,it's okay for sheet metal but I use cut off wheels more. I wish I'd bought the 220 model but I tried to save money ,not one of my smarter moves.

I've given some thought about selling it as I haven't turned it on in 2 years. It seems I just grab my cut off wheels evertime I need to do something.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #21
jimmydean

If I had one (I will some day) I would cut the crap out of stuff just for fun.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #22
Rooster's 67

Keep in mind a plasma cutter will cut aluminum,stainless,copper, any ferrous metal. But do spend money for a good one, if it has a built in compressor walk away and find a better machine
Posted via Mobile Device
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
theastronaut

I've used a regular 3" pnematic cut off wheel for the last 5-6 years to cut whatever we've needed cut at the shop. I've just recently switched over to using an electric Dewalt grinder with 4.5" cut off wheels and will never go back to the smaller 3" ever, unless I'm cutting smaller/more detailed parts. This is a way quicker way to cut metal, and much more affordable for the average guy.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
donut

Used one in a fab shop a few times, personally I'd have more use for an oxy/act setup at home. Not to say if I had the $ I wouldn't own one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
I've used a regular 3" pnematic cut off wheel for the last 5-6 years to cut whatever we've needed cut at the shop. I've just recently switched over to using an electric Dewalt grinder with 4.5" cut off wheels and will never go back to the smaller 3" ever, unless I'm cutting smaller/more detailed parts. This is a way quicker way to cut metal, and much more affordable for the average guy.
x2, I've even gone with the 6" Metabo for larger jobs.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #25
Dunenutt
Newbee

I have one of these,

http://www.parkermetalworking.com/pa...100223_002.htm

I have the 50dv, and have seriously abused it. It looks cheapo compared to a hypertherm, but cuts like mad. The thickest I have cut is 1/2", like butter. I cut an entire blazer into small chunks with it, with no issues.

Just an alternative for the homeowner.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote