The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
rushingg149

Question Project - C30 - Anyone good on frame work?

I have several questions in regard to mating a 1986 C30 frame with a 1970 C30 frame. My '70 frame has been extended 2' behind the cab with butt welds. The rear of my '70 frame has been cut (butchered) off behind the rear spring hangers.

I bought an '86 frame to upgrade the wheels, frontend, and rear end.

Since I'm not comfortable with the butt weld extension and the frame behind the rear hangers is missing, I have decided that I would like to marry the two frames behind the cab. Even though I realize the differences in the frames design and that one is a 7" frame and the other is an 8" frame, it looks possible to me to marry the two.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this project?
rushingg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: Project - C30 - Anyone good on frame work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushingg149 View Post
I have several questions in regard to mating a 1986 C30 frame with a 1970 C30 frame. My '70 frame has been extended 2' behind the cab with butt welds. The rear of my '70 frame has been cut (butchered) off behind the rear spring hangers.

I bought an '86 frame to upgrade the wheels, frontend, and rear end.

Since I'm not comfortable with the butt weld extension and the frame behind the rear hangers is missing, I have decided that I would like to marry the two frames behind the cab. Even though I realize the differences in the frames design and that one is a 7" frame and the other is an 8" frame, it looks possible to me to marry the two.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this project?
Is the 86 frame the correct length you are looking for, just a thought why not mount the 70's cab on the 86 frame. Build cab mounts to fit.
notsolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
rushingg149

Re: Project - C30 - Anyone good on frame work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Is the 86 frame the correct length you are looking for, just a thought why not mount the 70's cab on the 86 frame. Build cab mounts to fit.

I need the frame to be longer than standard to accommodate a 12' bed. I think I can mate the frames as both of them go flat. The '70 goes flat between the rear end and the cab, the '86 goes flat under the cab. If I can mate them at this location it will give me the length that I need.
I’ve considered putting my cab on the ’86 frame but, not only would I have to contend with the mounting of the cab, the steering, clutch, acceleration, and other issues – I would still have to extend the frame.
rushingg149 is offline   Reply With Quote