The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
DANTIP

Power Brake Experts Needed!!!!

My recently acquired '72 SWB 4x4 has factory power brakes but my pedal is "hard". My engine vacuum at idle is around 18", the check valve holds vacuum, my calipers aren't frozen-up, the booster looks new, my PCV valve is working properly. I have read some tests for brake boosters and mine seems to pass the test where with the engine off you pump the brakes a few times to use up vacuum, then hold the brake pedal down and start the engine. The pedal does go down a little bit, which should indicate a functional booster.

What am I missing?
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
70STOVEBOLT

Re: Power Brake Experts Needed!!!!

I'm not an expert by any means, but have you checked the prop valve to make sure it is the correct type, and/or is working correctly? That's the only thing I don't see a reference
to in your post. Good luck.

Mark

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
DANTIP

Mark,

Thanks for your input! I didn't look closely at the proportioning valve but it looks like a factory part and the plunger in the front was working when I replaced my brake fluid.

Dan
Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
MARKDTN

Could it have an inline check valve that is in backwards?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
MacGyver72

I'm no expert either and I don't know exactly what you mean by "hard". My power brakes are hard too but that's a good thing. I've found that the pedal should go down about 1/4 to 1/3 of it's travel and basically lock up the wheels at that point. I'd be more concerned if they were soft and the pedal was going down slowly while sitting and holding the brake.
MacGyver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver72 View Post
I'm no expert either and I don't know exactly what you mean by "hard". My power brakes are hard too but that's a good thing. I've found that the pedal should go down about 1/4 to 1/3 of it's travel and basically lock up the wheels at that point. I'd be more concerned if they were soft and the pedal was going down slowly while sitting and holding the brake.
The pedal requires too much effort to push it down to stop normally. It really acts like I have a bad booster, too little vacuum or something like that.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
MacGyver72

Ahhh I understand now. Little slow on the uptake at times. Yes, you apparently have a bad booster since you seem to have good vacuum at the carb base. I don't know if it would help but you could experiment with taking the vacuum line off the carb, plug it and see if it changes your brake situation. If not, you probably have a booster issue.
MacGyver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
DT1

My 71 just started to do that last weekend. The first thing I thought about was the booster going bad since the pedal wasn't mushy. I did some checking and found a small split in the vacuum line...Hello! I replaced the line and it still was no better. I checked the check valve and grommet...Good. Took it out for a drive and heard the rotor squeal ever so slightly so I pulled off the rear drums and found a leaking wheel cylinder. I replaced it and bled them off. Still no better so I replaced the booster. Still no good, so I completely blocked all the vacuum ports from the engine except to the booster. I still have a hard pedal and I'm completely out of ideas.
I'll bet by this point you thought I had a solution for you.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
71 super

Dan swap out the booster it sounds to me like it has gone bad. I put a "good" booster on the 68 a year ago and it had a hard pedal, swapped to a new booster and now the pedal feels correct.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
DANTIP

Any other thoughts? Brake pedal/linkage binding, internal master cylinder leak, wrong part installed, is 18" vacuum sufficient, etc.???????
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
My 71 just started to do that last weekend. The first thing I thought about was the booster going bad since the pedal wasn't mushy. I did some checking and found a small split in the vacuum line...Hello! I replaced the line and it still was no better. I checked the check valve and grommet...Good. Took it out for a drive and heard the rotor squeal ever so slightly so I pulled off the rear drums and found a leaking wheel cylinder. I replaced it and bled them off. Still no better so I replaced the booster. Still no good, so I completely blocked all the vacuum ports from the engine except to the booster. I still have a hard pedal and I'm completely out of ideas.
I'll bet by this point you thought I had a solution for you.
Please let me know if/when you find the solution (this sounds very similar)!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
Hart_Rod

Pull the vaccuum off of the booster (make sure you plug the leak, ). If it still feels the same, then you have a booster problem.....
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Pull the vaccuum off of the booster (make sure you plug the leak, ). If it still feels the same, then you have a booster problem.....
In my case you can tell a big difference between vacuum or no vacuum.
The symptom is a brake pedal that requires more force than usual to apply the brakes. It almost feels like the shoes or pads are glazed.
This weekend I'm going to rebuild the calipers, install new pads and shoes and flush the entire system.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
Any other thoughts? Brake pedal/linkage binding, internal master cylinder leak, wrong part installed, is 18" vacuum sufficient, etc.???????
18in of vacuum is more than sufficient.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
Dan swap out the booster it sounds to me like it has gone bad. I put a "good" booster on the 68 a year ago and it had a hard pedal, swapped to a new booster and now the pedal feels correct.
As coincidental as this may sound, it has happened to me more than once with re-manufactured parts.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
ls1nova71

Definitely sounds like a booster problem. Since you said" newly acquired" I'm going to assume it has done this since you've had it and is not a new problem? I would try another booster, preferably a known good one (original GM if you have one) I've seen bad remans.and aftermarket (China junk) right out of the box.
Posted via Mobile Device

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Definitely sounds like a booster problem. Since you said" newly acquired" I'm going to assume it has done this since you've had it and is not a new problem? I would try another booster, preferably a known good one (original GM if you have one) I've seen bad remans.and aftermarket (China junk) right out of the box.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, the problem came with the truck. I think I'd have to press REALLY hard to get the tires to lock up. I do have other trucks that I could borrow the booster from. It may just be worth my time/$$ to order a new booster/master cylinder and install it.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
DT1

Quote:
Please let me know if/when you find the solution (this sounds very similar)!!!
Update
I just finished rebuilding my entire brake system. I replaced the vacuum booster a couple of weeks ago and today I replaced the rotors, calipers, wheel cylinders, pads, proportioning valve, master cylinder, drums turned and shoes/pads. I completely flushed and bled the system. My brakes still feel the same (Hard Pedal, no mushy).
I'm beginning to wonder if I might have got a bad booster.
Anyone else have any thoughts??
Old 01-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
DANTIP

Quote:
Update
I just finished rebuilding my entire brake system. I replaced the vacuum booster a couple of weeks ago and today I replaced the rotors, calipers, wheel cylinders, pads, proportioning valve, master cylinder, drums turned and shoes/pads. I completely flushed and bled the system. My brakes still feel the same (Hard Pedal, no mushy).
I'm beginning to wonder if I might have got a bad booster.
Anyone else have any thoughts??
Have you checked your vacuum at idle? I am told that 18" is considered the minimum required for power brakes.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
DANTIP

Is it possible to use a hand-held vacuum pump to determine if inadequate vacuum may be preventing the booster from working? My thought would be to remove/plug the vacuum line from the manifold and plug my vacuum pump into the hose that leads to the booster check valve. I would then pump the pressure down to say 25" then try the power brakes. If the pedal feels more "normal", I would have more confidence that I should concentrate of finding a potential vacuum leak rather than changing brake parts.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
DT1

Quote:
Have you checked your vacuum at idle? I am told that 18" is considered the minimum required for power brakes.

The engine is fresh and at 2500 Ft elevation, mine is at 18in. The vacuum will vary with elevation. I also have no vacuum leaks. A few weeks ago I washed the truck and just after, I noticed the problem. The brakes have worked fine for many years so I figured it could be just wet rotors from the wash. A few minutes of driving told me different. I really think I just got a sub standard re manufactured booster from NAPA. I'm going to replace it next week and I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #22
DANTIP

Quote:
The engine is fresh and at 2500 Ft elevation, mine is at 18in. The vacuum will vary with elevation. I also have no vacuum leaks. A few weeks ago I washed the truck and just after, I noticed the problem. The brakes have worked fine for many years so I figured it could be just wet rotors from the wash. A few minutes of driving told me different. I really think I just got a sub standard re manufactured booster from NAPA. I'm going to replace it next week and I'll let you know how it works out.
Please let us know. Also, is your booster/master cylinder a Bendix (normally a painted black booster) or is it a Delco/Moraine (normally cad plated booster)?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #23
Boog
laying low

Just a thought. The plastic connector at the booster that the vacumn line hooks to is also a check valve to hold some vacumn after the engine has died and prevent booster damage if the engine backfires.
If that check valve is stuck it may not be allowing vacumn into the booster to assist the brakes. It is available through parts stores separately.
Pull that valve off the booster leaving the hose attached and start the engine. It should be sucking air. If not you've found the culprit.

quick look found this in the Dorman parts
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-9590-80190.aspx
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross

Last edited by Boog; 01-15-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #24
DT1

Quote:
Please let us know. Also, is your booster/master cylinder a Bendix (normally a painted black booster) or is it a Delco/Moraine (normally cad plated booster)?
The one I took off was gold zinc. The one I replaced it with was bare, blasted and I was told it was a Bendix. Both are identical shape and size and both have no identifying markings.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #25
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Just a thought. The plastic connector at the booster that the vacumn line hooks to is also a check valve to hold some vacumn after the engine has died and prevent booster damage if the engine backfires.
If that check valve is stuck it may not be allowing vacumn into the booster to assist the brakes. It is available through parts stores separately.
Pull that valve off the booster leaving the hose attached and start the engine. It should be sucking air. If not you've found the culprit.

quick look found this in the Dorman parts
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-9590-80190.aspx
The check valve is good.