The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
bweezy

random lift questions

1. My wife's having a little trouble getting into my 72 k5 with 4" list and 33. Has anyone made a grab bar or is there one made for my truck.
2. In the market for new rubbers. Thinking of going from 33 to 35 tires, will this make a big difference in stopping power, mpg, etc...
3. My leaf springs are shot. The po put on a 4" lift and there is a small 2" block under the front springs above the axle. I'm going to be getting a new 4" kit and I'm not sure if that block should stay there.
4. Rear tires stick in about 2" more then the front. Are wheel spacers the only way to fix that other then dropping big bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
bweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Blazed72

Re: random lift questions

#1. Dont know about the grab bar
#2. Do you have stock gears? Your truck will hate you with 35s and stock gears
#3. ditch the block. They are dangerous and I was told they are illegal in the front in CA
#4. Rear axle is always narrower than the front. It would turn like sh#% if they were the same width
Blazed72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
bweezy

I think I'm going to attach a handle under the glove box. Yeah truck is stock so I'm thinking ill stay with 33's. Now the questions is which ones. When I do get the lift i will get rid of the block just wasn't sure if I needed it in addition of the leaf springs. And my truck turns like sh%! Now so I guess ill pass on some spacers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
29od1

The only reason to use a block is to center your wheel in the wheel well or to level out the rake. If you do use them, make sure they bolt to the spring pack (not over 2" tall) and still have a bolt that fits in the spring perch hole for alignment.

Here is a an example from ORD which has a 1 and 1-1/2" offset to center your wheel in the wheel well.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm
29od1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Blazed72

Say what you want, but blocks should never be used in the front. Just spend your money on a spring that is not worn out
Old 01-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
29od1

Quote:
Say what you want, but blocks should never be used in the front.
If they're less than two inches tall and bolted to your spring pack, I don't understand how they're any different than springs themselves? Maybe you can elaborate as to why they won't be safe?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
bweezy

The blocks are very small for sure under 2". When I get money for the new springs I most likey will toss them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
29od1

After I put on my skyjacker lift kit, I used ones similar to the ORD zero-rates that I posted the link to on the rear. I basically did it to raise the rear 1" to make it look more level and to also center the wheel in the wheel well.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Blazed72

Its not like your going to die if you run one of those blocks. It just adds spring wrap to the front end under hard braking. Your front brakes do 70% of the stopping. That wrap can cause bump steer. In the right situation that might be unsafe
Old 01-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
bweezy

Do you have to change both the steering arm and pitman arm when putting on a 4" lift or just one of the other.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
29od1

My lift is a 2.5" lift from skyjacker (new springs front and back) and they recommended a pitman arm change. I was changing the PS gear box anyway so I used the new arm. It did seem to help correct the geometry for the drag link, but I think some guys are OK on a 2.5" lift without modifying anything.

I've read that for a 4" lift a steering arm change is enough to correct the geometry, so I don't think you'd need to change the pitman arm if you did that. There's a lot of good stuff in the 4x4 section on 4" lifts.