The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
71lwb

temperature guage problem

i have a 71 chevy with guages. i cannot get the tempurature guge to function properly. i have replaced the old broken guage with a reproduction guage. as the engine warms up, the needle goes all of the way over to the stop just past the red. my mechanical aftermarket guage verifies that it is running at 180. i can pull the cluster out and ground the guage out with my self powered test probe, but as soon as i restart and rewarm the engine, it pegs again. i have read on previous threads, that there are variable resistance senders. i am leaning toward this being my problem, but i would like some opinions on this problem before i do any more to it. if anyone believes this to be my problem, a proper part # would be very helpful. any help on this matter will be much appreciated. thank you
71lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
davepl

Re: temperature guage problem

If you search the forums there is an old post about resistance vs temp on old and new sending units. If you've seen it on two gauges, likely the sending unit is bad.

I have the opposite problem (indicates unrealistically cold) which can be bad connection between the sender and the head, but you've got too -much- connection, which I'd think would have to be a bad sender.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Take the wire off the gauge sender and turn the key on. If the gauge goes back to cold then the sender does not match the gauge and if the gauge continues to read hot then the sender wire is grounded or the gauge terminal is grounded.
If the gauge goes to cold then ground the sender wire to the block and see if the gauge reads full hot.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
71lwb

thank you all for the tips. i'll try these things out tomorrow and post my findings.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

good luck finding the problem, if you still have trouble dont be afraid to ask for more help.
Welcome to the site!

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
schurg

just to rule out an odd potential issue...could your sending unit be for idiot lights or one for actual gauges? the ones for I-lights are more or less on/off rather then a varying resistance.
schurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
chevy88

If this is not the original motor and motor is 1973 or newer, then you would need water temp sender for gauges 1956-72 chev trucks part # 53-811 for $8.95 from Classic Trucks Of America PH# 1-816-741-8029. This will give you the correct resistance for your gauge.

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
davepl

I thought about the idiot light sensor, but if that were the case then it would read full cold until (and only if) you exceeded the warning temp, then full on. At least I think.

But they did switch the resistance maps (perhaps 1973 as someone suggested), the old post I refer to has graphs of them both.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
DANTIP

This may sound odd, but check your charging voltage while running. If your regulator is bad you could be overcharging your battery and while it's cooking your battery, your temperature gauge will read excessively high!! The other way to check (without a volt-meter) is to turn your warm truck engine off, then turn the key back to the run position without starting the engine. If the gauge reads correctly, your problem is high voltage fooling the gauge and cooking your battery.
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
71lwb

thank you everyone, for the advice on tracking down my problem. after following all of the testing procedures i was led to my problem and was able to fix it at no cost. the ground wire for my instrument cluster was open. after properly grounding the wire, the guage functions properly. thanks a million for all of the help!