The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
xrcr

Fuel tank

Hopefully someone has run across this.
Ok so evidently a right side fuel tank of an 83 dual tank set up will not bolt up to a 76 chassis without drilling holes. So my question is if I get the 76 tank will it match with the 83 bed with the fuel door. I'll admit I'm being lazy, I have everything available to measure out, just thought I would check. Anyone in MO need fuel tanks??
Thanks,
xrcr
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Fuel tank

did you remove the mounts from the tank? if you are putting one thsts set up for the right side on the left it wont fit.. you have to switch out the mounts as they are opposite of each other
I was not aware of any differences between the mounts for the tanks through the 73-97 series

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
C15_Sierra

There shouldn't be a difference. I used an '87 tank on my 5.3 conversion on my '80 (old chassis style) and reused my brackets with no problems

I do have a fuel door, and I changed out the inlet hose (the OD of the inlet barb on the '87 tank is bigger) so depending on when the switch-over occurred, that will be the most you have to change out

Also, you didn't specify if the '76 and the '83 are the same wheelbase. IIRC, the SWB trucks had a 16 gallon and the LWB trucks had a 20 gal. My experience is only with my '80 LWB, but I would think the 16 and 20 gal. tanks have different bracket spacing - can anyone correct me on this?

1980 GMC C15 Sierra LWB
Dark Carmine Red/Carmine Int
Was: 250/3spd (1980-88), then a 305/TH350 (1988-2011)
Now: 5.3/4L60E, 2.73 12-bolt open rear
C15_Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

my longbed has holes drilled for both 16 and 20 gallon tanks

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
xrcr

Sorry I tend to think people can read my mind, might be from being married a few times...
Anyway truck is 76 3/4 lwb had a 20, tank is off a 83 1/2 lwb and is a 16(?). The issue is bracket spacing, approx 19 1/2" on smaller tank and approx 24" on larger(original). Unfortunately chassis is not drilled for both sizes. There are plenty of "extra" holes just not in the right spot. Specifically where the front strap needs to poke through the frame(smaller tank).
I know if I get a new 20 gal it'll bolt up, but since the original bed had a cap and the 83 donor bed has a door I'm not sure the filler pipe will be in the right spot.
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote