The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
Shamil

oil vaporize , 292 engine

hello guys, yesterday i was inspection the air filter, while the engine is running and hot,(normal temperature) i notes there is oil vaporize coming out from the hose that going from the head to the air filter! is that normal ? the amount is not that much no oil vaporize is going out from the exhaust
Shamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
terryj

Re: oil vaporize , 292 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamil View Post
hello guys, yesterday i was inspection the air filter, while the engine is running and hot,(normal temperature) i notes there is oil vaporize coming out from the hose that going from the head to the air filter! is that normal ? the amount is not that much no oil vaporize is going out from the exhaust
I'm assuming you mean "the hose coming from the valve cover to the air cleaner", yes, this is normal, it is part of the crank case ventilation. There should be a small filter that this hose is connect to inside the air cleaner.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Gyawo

As terryj stated, it is normal to have a little bit of air flow. What that is called is blow-by, which is combustion gasses escaping past the rings and into the crankcase, which is why you have a PCV(positive crankcase ventilation) system. The reason that hose goes from the cyl. head valve cover to the air filter hosing is to recirculate those gasses from the crankcase, which reduces emissions.
Gyawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Phillip Pennartz

The PVC system helps keep the oil and inside of engine clean by drawing in fresh air
from that hose and filter inside of aircleaner or from oil cap on valve cover that has a built
in air filter. This air is pulled thru the crankcase mixing with crankcase fumes to the PVC valve. From the PVC valve the air is sucked thru a hose to the base of carburetor and burned in engine.

If the PVC system is not working properly, your engine will get loaded up with black crud. If you got fumes coming out of filter in the aircleaner then your PVC system is probably not working right. These engine fumes that the PVC system is pulling out of the motor will plug up the PVC system. Check the hose running to carburetor and PVC valve for crud. The PVC valve should rattle when you shake it.
Phillip Pennartz is offline   Reply With Quote