The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
USA69Z

Dipstick length ????

i been workin on my 70 steppa now for 3 weeks and today i discovered it has a dipstick on both sides for engine oil levels.. ive had a few sbc and never seen this before.. The funny thing is they are different lengths? and im not sure if they are correct..
if any one can tell what length it should be ill plug one up..

mine are - 'tube from top' to where it meets the block is 15'' right side with a dipstick length of 18.5''

tube from top too where it meets block is 14'' on left with a 21'' stick.

hope this makes sense.. im now confused

Gav
USA69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Dipstick length ????

What I do to be on the safe side is drain all the oil even if it's new (save for reuse if it is). Then, depending on the engine I have, I will add the recommended amount of oil. On my 350 four quarts without new filter and 5 quarts with new filter. Then I check the dipstick and mark the spot for "full."

Of course, this check only works on a stock engine where the oil pan is original.

Someone else may have an original one they can measure for you but I would double check anyway.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
terry b

I have never seen that befor. Why not just change oil and filter. See if they both read full and plug the one you don't want.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
USA69Z

its funny ive owned it for a while now and i never noticed until today,, ive done an oil change last week as well and still never noticed..Im wondering how common it is to have one on each side in exactly the same position?.. Looks all factory on a stock engine.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
67c10rustbuket

I guess the PO wanted a second opinion Some blocks were cast for either side but I have never seen both actually used, that is silly.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
cdowns

the amount to fill an engine depends on the oilpan not the engine type

if any doubt i'd take a piece and runit down the dipstick hole and bottom out on the pan to see where you are exactly when reading oil level
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
pritch

You know, if there are two, and they are different length, maybe one is for checking with the engine running.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #8
MikeyMan

I have the double dipstick option on a Goodwrench crate motor. You choose the side your original was on, and plug the other. We forgot to plug the other side and had an oily mess Maybe the PO didn't have a plug so he just used a spare dipstick and tube.
When looking for a pan gasket, there is a special listing for dual dipstick holes.

Not sure about length, but your 18.5" in a 15" tube sounds short. Only 3.5" into pan? Does it show any oil at all?
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
USA69Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMan View Post
I have the double dipstick option on a Goodwrench crate motor. You choose the side your original was on, and plug the other. We forgot to plug the other side and had an oily mess Maybe the PO didn't have a plug so he just used a spare dipstick and tube.
When looking for a pan gasket, there is a special listing for dual dipstick holes.

Not sure about length, but your 18.5" in a 15" tube sounds short. Only 3.5" into pan? Does it show any oil at all?
No , that side dos'nt show any oil level.. ,, i did use the other side when i done my oil fill/change and thought all was normal ,, 'until i spotted the love child hangin out on the other side'

I havnt done any investigation on the block yet,, it does look like a later model engine has been fitted.. Kinda strange engine number..looks like this?
2MO718
4VP
Old 04-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
68Lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMan View Post

He is correct it means its a gm goodwrench replacement engine and both sides will read correct with the correct dip stick .One uses a tube only and the other doesnt have to you can get a direct fit from Lokar. The other option Mr Gasket , GM or what ever for the other tubes
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by 68Lowrider; 04-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.
68Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote