The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Del72Chevy

Tank Kit or Factory? Whats your opinion?

The title basically says it all...I am thinking about getting the ece stainless steel tank kit. I know CPP sells an aluminum kit. Any of you guys put these in? What are your thoughts...Keep it factory or drop in a rear tank kit?
Del72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Tank Kit or Factory? Whats your opinion?

i've never felt like there was a good reason to go to a rear mounted tank and do away with the spare tire in the process
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Do you need a new tank?

I currently have an in cab with zero issues.

Once I tear my truck down for a re do I will end up going with a rear mounted tank. It will help with handling and give me room behind the seat for stereo.

My truck isnt a daily driver and dosent need a spare.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Del72Chevy

No issues with my behind the seat tank except when I think about burning to death in an accident. Also I used to have a 98 s-10 with everything shaved and that old part of me is saying do it do it just to shave the tank filler. I might fill the c-10 emblem holes too? I drive it about once a week so the spare tire is not really an issue either.
Del72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
SunSoaked

I cant wait to toss the in cab tank in my 69 (4x4 C10) and both side tanks for that matter. I have an 87 3/4 ton chassis that has a great condition side saddle tank. I'm wondering if I can make it fit between the D/S frame rail and the bed?

Somebody has had to try this before?

Thoughts/Photos?
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del72Chevy View Post
The title basically says it all...I am thinking about getting the ece stainless steel tank kit. I know CPP sells an aluminum kit. Any of you guys put these in? What are your thoughts...Keep it factory or drop in a rear tank kit?
ECE tank. It will make room in the cab for a nice interior and you can stop smelling gas. I like the Stainless ECE tank better than the aluminum ones.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
rsavage

I don't believe any of the tank kits are simple drop in kits. All require fill and vent tube fabrication through the floor of the bed, wheel well, or bedside depending on what you want. Some tanks require removal of a good portion of a bed crossmember. Lots of info on past installs via the search function and you can get a better idea of what it will take.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
I don't believe any of the tank kits are simple drop in kits. All require fill and vent tube fabrication through the floor of the bed, wheel well, or bedside depending on what you want. Some tanks require removal of a good portion of a bed crossmember. Lots of info on past installs via the search function and you can get a better idea of what it will take.
Not True!

The Early Classic stainless tank kit bolts in without any cutting except for the filler which installs directlt through the bed floor.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
rsavage

I don't know what part of my statement wasn't true. I said "some" tanks require removal of some portion of a bed crossmember and they all require fabrication of a fill through a bed, bedside, or into the wheel well. Perhaps the Early Classic tank has a fill that magically appears through the bed floor? The Early Classic tank pictured has a fill on the left side which will be pointing towards the driver's side not straight up, so I am not sure how the fill could be "fabricationless"? Nice unit especially if you are going to fuel injection but at $900 it is a pretty expensive choice.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
dbstepside

fitz, i must ask if that is just carpet coming up the back and side of your cab or if there is some other type of material there. i would like to do something similar in my truck and hadn't seen anything that i liked yet. thanks.
dbstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbstepside View Post
fitz, i must ask if that is just carpet coming up the back and side of your cab or if there is some other type of material there. i would like to do something similar in my truck and hadn't seen anything that i liked yet. thanks.
I used a cardboard template to get the bottom and top pattern to go from the flat back of the cab to roll into the side of door jamb then cut and rolled a piece of 16 ga sheetmetal for each side of the cab. That was spotted to a flanged piece of sheet and bolted through the tank mounts. Dynamat covered the raw metal then I sprayed 3M 77 on the back of the carpet and dynamat to get it to stay in place. It took the best part of a day to get the posterboard template right but it was worth the time as the fit is "perfect".

Once the metal was in, two more pieces of poster board made the pattern for cutting the carpet.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
I don't know what part of my statement wasn't true. I said "some" tanks require removal of some portion of a bed crossmember and they all require fabrication of a fill through a bed, bedside, or into the wheel well. Perhaps the Early Classic tank has a fill that magically appears through the bed floor? The Early Classic tank pictured has a fill on the left side which will be pointing towards the driver's side not straight up, so I am not sure how the fill could be "fabricationless"? Nice unit especially if you are going to fuel injection but at $900 it is a pretty expensive choice.
If you look at the top picture of my original post it shows the early Classic Copperhead stainless tank with a vertical fill. It bolts in without any cutting and they provide the crossmember between the frame rails which serves as the rear mount. The fill requires a 1.5 inch diameter hole in the bed floor which was very easy in my truck as I used a wood bed. My truck is powered by an Injected ZZ572 with the pump in the tank. Not much point in doing a hack job on the tank after spending $20,000 on the drive train now, is there?

And yes, if you wish really hard all of this work will be magically done for you in your sleep and you can go brag about how much you accomplished.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
BuiltwithIvy

I went another rear mounted tank route, and though it is not finished all the way, and will definitely require some fabrication work, it was cheap (using all new parts) and will have 31 gallons thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
mrein3

I have a Blazer tank and all the hardware waiting for me to make time to install. I'm not afraid of something happening to my cab tank, I just want the room.

My spare is in the bed.

Daily driver or not I don't understand not carrying a spare. Always carry a spare.

My truck has never been my daily driver and I've used the spare twice.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote