The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
woodymm3

Soft top questions

I know some of you if not most of you already have soft tops. I am considering getting one for my blazer and want to know your opinions of them

how do they hold out water?

are they good at highway speeds?

What I want to know is are there any complaints or gripes at all about these?

I seriously want to get one but not sure if the 1000 would be worth it just yet....

so please let me know all the good and bad about these!!
woodymm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
bigbadchev72
People know me

Re: Soft top questions

I have yet to drive mine since I got the top last year. I can tell you it is a very high quality top and well made. The only complaint I had was it was a real pain trying to get it to stretch tight enough to get the snaps to snap on it, It was very tight when new. It has since then relaxed and is very easy to install/remove.

I would not hesitate to buy another one just for the space savings alone! I hated having to find a place to store my top for the summer.
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I've had a STC Fastrac for about 8 years now. Works great, fine on the freeway, doesn't leak much more than a hard top, but it is a bit draftier. I need to have a few repairs done - some of the seams have come apart in spots around the zippers. It was worth the $800.

I don't know about the quality of the softopper, but having a soft top makes driving your truck on a more regular basis a lot easier.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
robs71k5
K5drive

I just picked up my new softopper today and got started right away on the install .Their top looks really nice Its top quality material .I did make a new windshield leading edge part so the wind noise will be a little more suttle.and the top of the windshield will be about an inch higher than most who have installed the softopper. It has a little more finished look aswell , but am quite happpy so far and will post pics when completed.
Regards all .............happy trails this summer
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
rsavage

The Softopper is the only game in town. It is nicely made and I like the fact that the sides and rear can be rolled up and secured with velcro straps leaving a "safari" type top. I don't use my Blazer as a daily driver. I have gone down the highway at 60 or so and it is noisy. Not sure I would want to try 75 on the freeway - definitely not with the sides and rear up. As for water tightness, I am sure that it would leak in the front corners as I can see light. I do not have the drip rail deflectors on the Blazer (they screw to the upper windshield frame and the hard top) as I believe they would interfere with the door closing as the part of the drip rail deflector that would screw to the hard top would end up hanging down. Finally, you can not have the windows all the way up when you are opening and closing the door as the glass will interfere with and catch on the flaps. You can roll them up once you are in, but you are going to have to leave at least one window down about 3" to get back into the truck.

2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Ole Beater

I have the same issue with the windows. Other than that a nice top. Oh the instructions show a picture of a generation 2 blazer windshield header. But you can go to their website and they have a picture of the gen 1.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
gfreeze1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Beater View Post
I have the same issue with the windows. Other than that a nice top. Oh the instructions show a picture of a generation 2 blazer windshield header. But you can go to their website and they have a picture of the gen 1.
Here is my fix to the window problem
  1. Roll down the window
  2. Shut door
  3. Open Vent Window
  4. Reach in and Roll window up

Technique only...your situation may vary
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
webfishr

I love my Softtopper. It isn't perfect but it's much better than putting the hard top on and off for the summer. I find I drive my blazer more often because I can put the top up easily if the weather changes on me.
webfishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Rochlow

I had a softopper on my blazer and hated it. I found I had to wrestle with it to get it off and on. It fit extremely poor (issuse with windows and the back you had basically pull down as hard as you could to get it to snap). One of the window seperated from the vinyl. (my truck had zero miles on it when I found this issue and it was after I sold it). I called the company numerous times regarding the fitment and defects. Not one return call.

After the hassle, it's not worth the money.
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Firebirdjones

I'd rather see zip out side windows, and I don't care for the fit around the door windows. Having to do what these guys are describing to shut their doors is unacceptable for me.

But I've been spoiled with Jeeps and their excellent fitting factory soft tops and all their cool features (and they don't leak ) So to put an aftermarket soft top on my blazer with all these issues doesn't do it for me, not for that price.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote