The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
chevychic

Arrow Thinking.....

Of selling my truck.

I'm not wimping out...just tired of spending lots of $$ getting it running right instead of being able to build it into the truck I want.

Had I bought it with the expectation that I would be replacing the tranny and possibly replacing or rebuilding the engine within a year and a half (we shall see about the engine in a day or two) I would be ok with it.

So, I've been doing a lot of pros and cons thinking of keeping my truck and have been leaning towards selling it and getting a C-10. Right now, I'm really wanting a truck that I can make nice and not worry about getting it dirty or mudding up the interior. If I had the $$, I'd keep this truck for taking out and tearing around in and get a C-10 so I can have a truck I can make nice.

I'd love your opinions and also thoughts on what you think I can get for my truck. I'm thinking of throwing a for sale sign in the window and just seeing what happens.

Oh, and don't worry...I'm sticking with these trucks...there is no other vehicle I'd rather have right now.

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:58 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

If you don't use your 4by like a 4by, then I would definately move on to a 2WD. IMO, 2WD trucks are easier to maintain, have less parts that you would have to fix, and are usually cheaper and get better mileage...not to mention can be made to go faster than a 4WD.

Not only that, but fi you are going to be replacing all that stuff and you heart really isn't into it...whay not change gears and spend your hard earned $$ on something that will make you happy?

When you say C-10...do you mean pre 80's or are you talking 81+?

Don't get me wrong guys, I like nice 4by's, but I am a 2WD guy...thats all.

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 01:17 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Buy the 2WD Blazer Jeff is debating over.

I won't get another 73-87 4x4 for a daily driver again. Maybe soemthing to play in, but the areas to go riding here are dwindling, or requiring payment.. so....

With that in mind, there have been several good ones for sale lately that I would have loved to have. Everything this old will typically need work, but for your best bet, go with an 87 silverado for a driver.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 01:23 PM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally posted by Captkaos
Buy the 2WD Blazer Jeff is debating over.
STFU CHRIS!!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:39 PM   #5
chevychic

Jeff, I'm partial to 81+ but I don't mind pre 80's either. As long as it's a solid, dependable truck that can be a good start for me.

Chris, The same is going on here with places to play. There used to be a pretty cool recreational park that you could tear around in but now it's a pay to use park which I don't mind but there are so many things I need to fix on my truck before I can really go play that it's not even worth paying the fee to go out there.
I don't mind putting some TLC into a truck but when it gets into needing major things done (tranny and engine rebuild) when I don't feel that I've gotten my use out of it, and paid enough for the truck that I shouldn't have to be doing this stuff quite yet, that's where I think it's too much.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
Old 05-14-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
rockman20
"The dude abides"

4WD is spendier, but here in the Dakotas, I wouldn't give mine up now. It is sure nice to have those extra wheels up front pulling you through the snowdrifts and gaining some extra traction on slick surfaces.

Then again, I live and work part time on a farm so it's also nice to have when it rains in the summer time and gets muddy.

But if you don't need the 4WD, then I would say that a notion to sell it and get a 2WD truck is fine. You asked about price for the truck.......I'm still a little wet behind the ears here on the board so I don't know your truck.

Whatchya got?

1993 Chevy Silverado C3500 1 ton dually
1994 Honda Civic
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1953 IH Farmall Super M
New to the fleet:
1992 Subaru Loyal
rockman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 02:20 PM   #7
chevychic

1986 Chevy Scottsdale...all the details are on my site www.digitalcampground.com/chvchk

- Christopher Robin
Old 05-14-2003, 02:41 PM   #8
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblock73

STFU CHRIS!!
OK Eric Jr. heheheeh

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 03:01 PM   #9
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally posted by LOHRTBT

OK Eric Jr. heheheeh
There ain't nuthin Jr. about me boy!

But if I am Jr., then we are callin you pee-wee!

Last edited by bigblock73; 05-14-2003 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:07 PM   #10
Tom
driving is in my blood

2wd all the way! Hot chicks in 4wd's are cool, hot chicks in slammed 2wd's are much cooler. Everything for a 2wd is cheaper, parts are easier to replace, and they are faster and get better milage compared to a 4wd with the same setup. They tend to ride better too, which is good with little children
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:14 PM   #11
MSL

I think you should go with a 2wd since like you said the parks around here are charging i remeber when my dad had a 4wd that was about 7 yrs ago and you could go anywhere and play but there getting stricter and closing alot off. Thats why i went with a 2wd thats one reason and for one it rains here more than anything and if it snowed in the valley it melts before you could even drive in it or your 2wd will make through it anyways. also with a 2wd there so much easier to work on you dont have to worry about the extra front end and transfer case. also pulling a engine and a tranny in a 4by is a pain in the butt i have done it alot and never cared for it as for a 2wd its easy as pie. i think you would probably enjoy a 2wd i know i sure do.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:50 PM   #12
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
STFU CHRIS!!
Hahahahahaha, Heather would look cool in a slammed blazer, you would just be another guy in a Blazer..

I sympathize with you Heater. Because of that I am selling the Jeep, or at least it is up for sale. I keep buying stuff for it though. I just got a Banks Exhaust system for it to cure the cracked manifold syndrome.

I think unless you HAVE to have a 4x4, get a 4x2.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:12 PM   #13
TIMSPEED

Quote:
hot chicks in slammed 2wd's are much cooler.
AMEN!!
Old 05-14-2003, 05:21 PM   #14
CRRoy71

I know this may not affect you, but everytime I feel like selling my Blazer (because I don't use it) I take the top off and go to the beach with the kids. That and pulling out all of the people stuck in the sand, always changes my mind.

Believe me, I have thought very serious about selling mine and getting a 2wd fast truck. Now that I am starting on my 383, the urge is really getting bad. Oh well looks like it's time to go back to the beach

'92 ext. cab s/b 4.3L "Sparky"
'04 crew cab 2500 4x4 6.0L
CRRoy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 08:35 PM   #15
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Heather, if you end up in a lowered 2wd, i might have to consider moving to the left coast. jp
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 10:10 PM   #16
chevychic

CRROY: I know what you mean about thinking about selling and then realizing how much fun you have. My problem is this is my daily driver. If I could park it and not worry about it, I would in a minute and work on it as I had time. Insurance is really cheap on it so that's not a wasted expense. Right now, with everything I've had to do, it hasn't been much fun (although I've learned ALOT!!).

I'm going to have to get one of each someday (truck and blazer). I love the idea of having a blazer and riding around with the top off and the back seat for a child and stuff....

But I like the looks of the trucks better.

Well my truck goes into the shop tomorrow to get the engine diagnosed since it still runs rough on longer trips. It drives awesome around town.
The outcome will give me an idea of what I can reasonably get for it and then I'll either post it on ebay or locally or both and start looking for a clean C-10, preferrably lowered already....

- Christopher Robin
Old 05-14-2003, 10:24 PM   #17
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Heather,

in your case, I would go with a 2wd. Don't want to tick anyone off, but I've never been a big fan of 4x4's. Never needed one, never liked the idea of going through mud and such. I've always liked fast, in cars and now trucks. Don't get me wrong, I know 4x4's can be fast, but a 2wd with the same equipment will always be faster, hands down.

For a daily driver, I think you'd be much better off with a super clean 87, but finding one at a decent price my be hard. I haven't seen but a few around my parts, and they were nice indeed. There is a red one down the road from me I would love to have. It's completely stock, except for a fiberglass bed cover. But man, this thing is nice. Looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

I vote 2wd.

Good luck with your current truck. Hope it turns out to be something cheap. If so, sell it before it does decide to go bad.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 01:42 AM   #18
MSL

Ya i should know how hard it is to find just the right truck we live in the same town. it took me months to find what i got and i looked at alot of trucks and most of them had something wrong im ok with that if we can make a deal but most people didnt want to deal so i left. Heather i would hit the nickle and then the car lots try car port i got my truck there and the guy seemed pretty cool and really nice. As for your 4x4 sounds like the problems are close to what mine is having with it running fine on short trips but on long trips my truck runs like a dog i start to get a rattle in the valve train it comes and goes. and i got to thinking that it doesnt do it until my truck gets warmed up after a long trip so i was thinking timing chain is wearing out whats happening if im right is after a long trip the timing chain is getting hot and expanding causing it to be sloppy and after it cools and has sat for awhile the metal has cooled. now i could be wrong but im going to change it anyways. maybe you could have the shop check on the timing chain for you and see.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:44 AM   #19
chevychic

MSL:
Yeah, it is really hard to find good trucks around here. And the ones that are decent are outrageous in price. What gets me is I know people that have gotten great deals on nice trucks but whenever I find one, it's not the right time.

I've got my eye on one in Portland right now that is on Ebay. Nice truck but not a whole lot of info on the auction so I've been e-mailing the dealer about it. If the auction ends without reserve being met, I may take a drive up and check it out in person.

Anyways, the shop I'm taking my truck into tomorrow has done some minor work for me before and they've always seemed very upfront with me. They're going to scope it and see if they can't find out what's wrong.

- Christopher Robin
Old 05-15-2003, 02:52 AM   #20
78SilveradoSWB

Lightbulb

You might try the Truck Trader publication. There should be a 7-11 store or Fred Meyer's near you where you can pick one up. They publish 2 versions for trucks based on price range. They usually have pictures ( mostly b/w) of the trucks. You can also go online to their Auto Trader version I believe. Good Luck!

BTW, is it the red 87 C-10 SWB with the trick paint job you looking at? It looks like a sweet ride. I am sure he is wanting big bucks for it, like over 10K. There is guy here who works at Baxter Auto Parts in Tigard, OR trying to sell his 80'ish white C-10. I saw it not too long ago at a swap meet that Baxters was sponsoring and he was asking $12K. It was similar to Swervin's ride without the Torque Thrust wheels.

1978 Chevrolet Silverado C 10
454 BB, TH400

Last edited by 78SilveradoSWB; 05-15-2003 at 03:13 AM.
78SilveradoSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 03:26 AM   #21
MSL

Ya i ran into alot of nice trucks way over priced and i also saw alot of trucks that were trashed and they where outrageous. i got lucky and got my truck for $1760. I know how it feels to see a nice truck for a good price and it was at the wrong time. i went through that alot.

Well lets hope you can get a deal on the truck on ebay if its worth it. also what shop are you taking your truck too.?
Old 05-15-2003, 05:47 AM   #22
Prerunner1982

heather, i hate to see you get rid of the truck, but obviously you have to do what makes you happy. cant argue with that. btw i think you would look much better in a 4x4, only because i am a 4x4 guy at heart. if you had to get rid of the truck, would you consider selling it minus engine and trans? and for how much? :-D not that i could afford to come get the thing, just an idea. you know i have been looking for a 4x4 chasis for awhile.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:16 AM   #23
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I'm going to agree and disagree

Agree- I'm with most that you need a 2wd for your needs. You can get a great price for your truck as clean and nice as it is. Hopefully you can get one already lowered but you have to watch what kind of stuff the PO used. Hopefully quality parts and did it right. If you can't find a lowered one then gind one you can work with to make your own.

Disagree- I have to disagree with Mike and Chris on the choice of a 87. My brother had one and had nothing but problems. His computer would give him so many fits he'd replace it every few months. If I was you I'd get a 86 or older without the computer. Just my .02

Good luck!!

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:27 AM   #24
bigblock73
yeller

Heather, one thing to consider...

Look under the hood of an emissions truck and then look under the hood of a non-emissions truck...you will make up your mind on years then pretty darn quick!

IMO, the earlier trucks are sooo easy to work on under the hood compared to later trucks and there is less stuff to "go wrong"...not to mention it is alot easier to make a cleaner looking engine compartment.

...Jeff
Old 05-15-2003, 09:32 AM   #25
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Heather, one thing to consider...

Look under the hood of an emissions truck and then look under the hood of a non-emissions truck...you will make up your mind on years then pretty darn quick!

IMO, the earlier trucks are sooo easy to work on under the hood compared to later trucks and there is less stuff to "go wrong"...not to mention it is alot easier to make a cleaner looking engine compartment.

...Jeff
Great points!! I forgot about that. Plus look at the front end grille of a 78 or earlier compared to a 81 or older. I love the front grille on the 78 and older with the lights seperated without the grille bezel surrounding them. This is why I'll change my front end setup

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote