The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Rat96

My Good/Bad Day

Tuesday afternoon me and my dad were waiting on a phone call from the mechanic shop to go pick up my truck, Nancy. Around 2 they call and said we could come get her. My Dad and I were so excited. We have waited 4 weeks and 6 days to finally get her. They did a lot of work to that truck. Rebuilt transmission, new brakes, fixed my e-brake, all the lights work, new battery, front end alignment, and a lot more. I got to drive her home and it was the best feeling ever . She sounded so good and was so smooth going down the road. I picked my girlfriend up in it and she fell in love with her. I took my mom for a ride, my brother, and my brother's friend. They all loved it . The next day, I see a few leaks. One is either the transmission or a cable that goes into the transmission. The other was a gas leak. So now she has to go back to the mechanic to get worked on again. Looks like I will have to wait another week

1971 Cheyenne Super Ochre/White LWB- My truck "Nancy"
Rat96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
70cst

Re: My Good/Bad Day

Hang in there. Sounds like your close to having your ride finished and I'm sure you want it done properly.

Oh yes ... We luv pics
Posted via Mobile Device

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
SS Tim

Sounds like you are way over on the good side already with the "Happy Meter" pegged. Little things are to be expected. A watchful eye will keep problems and downtime to a minimum.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
1quik70

Why not just check them out yourself? These trucks are painfully simple, both would be an easy fix. To me thats the beauty of driving them, they can be fixed on the side of the road at midnight with a small bag of hand tools and creative thinking. I have been daily driving these things for almost 10 years, and had to have a tow ONE time due to a U-Joint failure that tore up quite a bit on its way out.

If the Speedo cable is leaking, check to see if its even tight, that seems to be the #1 cause. Same with the fuel leak, there is about 3 1/2 feet of fuel line on these old girls. Start at the tank drop, which is on the passenger side below the cab, and work your way forward. There is probably 3 places where it could leak from, Right at the tank union, at the pump, and at the carb. Any of those leaks is fixed with 10 minutes, 2 hose clamls and a short piece of 3/8" fuel line.
1quik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
CC69Rat

Yep, .. just normal 'bugs' you have with these older cars and trucks. It sounds like they had the truck apart pretty good and sometimes leaks are simple, just snugging up a bolt or fitting, etc. Gaskets sometimes will be more firm at first and as you drive them (they just get warm) they will soften up some. You just need to come around and snug all the bolts back down.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Have them take another look at it, fix it and drive the wheels off of it!

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Daddy'O

The fuel leak is due to a bad diaphragm in the fuel pump and we’re talking a serious leak. Will need to due a LOF change again as well as the crankcase smells of gasoline. The trans leak is most likely the speedo cable. Taking it back to the shop because their really good & stand behind their work. My son has been patiently waiting for Nancy while she was having the transmission and rear end rebuilt – both projects which were way out of my league. It’s really a tough break because Tuesday was his first chance to really enjoy driving Nancy since we started bringing her back to life in early January.

Hang tough Wyatt – you will be enjoying the road again before you know it.

Our Shop Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620966
'55 Wagon Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689157
1971 Cheyenne Super Ochre/White LWB 350 Auto - my son's truck "Nancy"
1972 GMC K2500 Custom 4X4 Olive LWB 400 SB 4-speed -"Greenie" - Restoration to begin after the '55
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Daddy'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
CC69Rat

I wouldn't have either one of mine if it wasn't for my Dad. As much as I love these old trucks, every nut and bolt reminds me of him and the day we put it together.

I had a prestine 1969 Camaro, California car, you could eat off the floor pans. All original metal. Hugger Orange and white. Beautiful car. My Dad helped me get through the leaky fuel pumps, etc. too. I sold the car to try and save a marriage already destined to fail .. just because my now ex wife didn't see the justification in an old car.

I'm tellin you .. there's so much value in the time you have with your Dad and I really admire you for helping him out. I can tell you for sure, he'll never forget it.

Wyatt be thankful you have a Dad like yours. Spend every minute you can with him. This is time you cant get back. Fuel pumps and transmissions can be replaced. You'll get this truck worked out .. hang in there.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote