The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Darren MagooGardner

HOW DO I Install rear glass with chrome trim.

Putting in my sliding glass rear window with trim. I need to know if you install trim on gasket then put glass in or do you put glass in and then install trim?
Attached Images

Darren MagooGardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: HOW DO I Install rear glass with chrome trim.

-
I don't think that trim is going to fit that window..... Anyway, with standard glass I put the rubber on the glass, then install the trim, then install the assembly. You will want to have at least two people and three would be better...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523800

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Darren MagooGardner

silly Locdoc..thats for my front glass. I messed mine up so bad I had to buy another set to replace it. I put my windshield in and then tried to put the trim in..didnt go well at all.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Darren MagooGardner

I think I am going to just pay my local glass shop to install my rear glass and trim. while Its there Im going to see can they fix my boo-booed front glass.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
1972BackInBlackC10

its a two person job and easy to do iv done it several times, put your wetherstrip on the window, insert your trim like lockdoc said then get some small nylon rope that will fit in the groove where the metal of the cab sits in, start in the middle at the bottom tape the end to the glass side the will be inside the cab then run the rope in the channel all the way around the window to the end where you started tape it to the glass as well like you did with the other end, then you and your helper set the window in place get the bottom of the window set in place best you can then one of you to the inside while the other presses on the outside, slowly start pulling the nylon rope while the person out holds the window in place and presses and sometimes slap or bang the window along where you are pulling the rope continue this all the way around, having two peopl on the outside and one inside would be even easier but it is very doable with two people, hope my instructions made sense and werent too long lol its way quicker and less complicated than it sounds

p.s. go slow! if you go too fast it wont pull the weatherstrip in place
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
Darren MagooGardner

Thanks backinblack,,that sounds doable not too difficult. I put my new rubber gasket and trim on the window this evening. My finger tips are RAW. I was wondering what is the best lubricant to use?? Once the rubber was on it did not center up well. There was a gap at one end.It seems to me if I had a better lub I could just slide it in place. I used dish soap as my lub. would KY lub work?
Old 07-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
1972BackInBlackC10

you could try a silicone lube in a spray can from the auto parts store, i have some but forget what its called and im not sure if youd have the same thing down there in the states as for ky that might get messy lol
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I thought what Loc Doc was getting at was that sliders and gaskets w/trim don't jive. Then,I looked back (after reading your reply) and saw the trim was windshield trim. But the fact is,you'll have a hard time ever getting that gasket and slider in. The factory sliders were installed,aftermarket-style right there on the factory lot by a vendor after the truck came off the line. They "only" used the standard gasket with sliders on "all" trim level trucks. I've had glass shops install sliders in Custom Deluxe,Cheyenne,Cheyenne Supers before and was always disappointed in how it fit,not knowing it was actually a no-go. I have installed my own sliders with standard gasket and it's a cinch. Just a one man job.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 07-20-2012 at 09:29 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Darren MagooGardner

Thanks special k..the pic that I posted shows the slider with gasket still attatched with trim. So it is possible. nothing I ever do turns out to be easy, allways a challenge. If it dont work I will just order a standard gasket and put it in without trim. thanks Mr.Magoo
Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,like I said,I've had glass shops install sliders in Custom Deluxes,Cheyennes,and Cheyenne Supers. So,it can be done. But the fit of the trim was never very good. It was never intended to work with sliders.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote