The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
SalvoWs6

so... how bad did I just screw up?

so, I was a little excited the other night making good progress on my 2 year long project almost being driveable. down to doing little things, and I decided it was time to fill and bleed the brakes. well I fill the reservoir and crack the rear bleeders no problem to get it to start gravity bleeding. go to the fronts (factory discs) and the first bleeder seemed a little stuck so I put some more arm on it and *snap*. Yep, clean off flush with the caliper. great, so I go to the other side. it is equally stuck but it rounds off instead. these calipers were rebuilt, but the truck has sat so long during the build I guess they just corroded in. is my only hope replacing the calipers? or is there some kind of trick way I can dig these out? I think I know the answer to this already, just not looking forward to it. already over budget on this build. just sucks that I am so close to being able to move it under its own power, and having something stupid like this happen *facepalm*
SalvoWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
67c10rustbuket

Re: so... how bad did I just screw up?

Maybe an extractor bit? I would try one small enough that could use the existing hole as I dont think drilling the bleeder would be a good idea as that may send shavings into the caliper. I have used vice grips on stuck ones but never managed to snap one off. Assuming they are stock calipers they are only $20 w a $30 core at autozone so you would only be out $40 if you replaced them. Do they have a warranty? I noticed you said they were rebuilt. Is that rebuilt by you or bought as reman parts?
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
koda360

Which ever route you go, put a little anti-sieze on the new bleeders before you put them back in.
1984 Big Bronco
2002 Durango SLT (Bride's Ride)
koda360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
gerfunken

Perhaps you could carefully drill it out, re-tap it, and put in new zerks?

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Ackattack

Don't waste your time trying to get out the bleeder screw. Rebuilt calipers are like $10-15 at the parts store.

I did the same thing a few years ago, and after 2 hrs of messing with it finally went and got a new caliper and wished I had just went there in the first place.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
DT1

X2 on rebuilt calipers. I bought and installed caliper rebuild kits for mine but after seeing the price on rebuilt units, I should have just got them
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
ole dollor

being me i would have to try and fix them first, time an't nothing to a hog....i would take them off ,put them in a vice, and drill them up side down so nothing could fall into the hole,and try to easy out....maybe use some grease on the bit to catch the shavings....unless you don't have any extra bleeder screws..then you would have to go find some...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
SalvoWs6

thanks for the responses guys. Ole dollor, I'm like you. yeah I can go buy new but what's the fun in that right? haha. I always try to fix before replacing. but on this one I do believe I will go with new units as I priced them out at $12 each at my local advance store, in stock. had no idea they were that cheap. and while I'm there I will need to pick up a new master cyl. also since apparently it has decided not to allow fluid to exit from it anymore for some reason :/ thanks for the help guys, hopefully I'll have this thing rolling (AND stopping!) before long
SalvoWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote