The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
dropanddrag71

Metal Door Panels

Anyone buy those matal door panels i see everywhere? Is the fit good, are they really just prime and paint? Can we see some pics?
I need door panels, my original vinyl ones are getting pretty worn.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Tinkermc

Re: Metal Door Panels

I picked up a set for my 72 GMC they I don't think are correct to the year but will look nice and should be very hard to wear out.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
bigblock68

i installed them on my 69.i think they look nice.
Attached Images

bigblock68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
dropanddrag71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock68 View Post
i installed them on my 69.i think they look nice.
I am considering them, my interior calls for off white... thats an easy color to find anywhere..
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
dropanddrag71

On the metal door panels, are you using the escutchens under the window or door handles? Do they install easy?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanddrag71 View Post
I am considering them, my interior calls for off white... thats an easy color to find anywhere..
They are not exactly "off white". GM used the name sandalwood in this case Ditzer number 23373 matches the door panels or seat back panels. If you are going to paint door panels I'd use the stock style. Here are two trucks a 70 cst with 624 trim code and a 70 gmc with 625 trim code. Door panels and vinyl trim are the same color as your truck. In fact everything but the seat insert and the gmc glove box door are a match.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
dropanddrag71

One of the main reason i am considering the metal panels isnt cause they are cheaper, its because i feel that every few years or so i can remove them and repaint them making it look fresh again. You can see in the pic you posted how dirty the vinyl gets and even keeping up with the cleaning, it does grind in...
My window cranks are original but have chrome knobs and when ordering new, the only choice was black or clear..
Thank You for posting those pictures.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Catch_22

Quote:
One of the main reason i am considering the metal panels isnt cause they are cheaper, its because i feel that every few years or so i can remove them and repaint them making it look fresh again. You can see in the pic you posted how dirty the vinyl gets and even keeping up with the cleaning, it does grind in...
My window cranks are original but have chrome knobs and when ordering new, the only choice was black or clear..
Thank You for posting those pictures.
Not to hijack but:
When you paint yours are you just ruffing it up with sand paper? Mine need to be cleaned up and have some light rust spots. Not sure what to do with the trim too. Either the chrome is worn off or it was just steel.
Catch_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
dropanddrag71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch_22 View Post
Not to hijack but:
When you paint yours are you just ruffing it up with sand paper? Mine need to be cleaned up and have some light rust spots. Not sure what to do with the trim too. Either the chrome is worn off or it was just steel.
Did you buy them new and they came that way? I did plan on a full sand, prime, sand, prep. paint.. They repro that trim piece above the door panel..
Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Catch_22

Quote:
Did you buy them new and they came that way? I did plan on a full sand, prime, sand, prep. paint.. They repro that trim piece above the door panel..
On my truck when I got her. I removed them when working on my locks and replacing some internal door parts. Still have them off and don't know if I should replace them or repaint them. Pretty sure they are original. Was going to test by taking some 220 on my sander and going over it, then mousing out the details, prime, paint and then see if I still want them.
Catch_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
SS Tim

Quote:
Well I have metal panels in one of my trucks and I don't like them. They are hot, cold, hard and loud as compared to vinyl/board or even plastic molded panels. The choice is yours of course but in reality I think that the dirt issue is really minor. My picture of the unkempt truck with the blue seat has had a hard life. One of the reasons I didn't buy it was the odometer looked to be on at least its third time around. The flat cam it later turned out to have made me feel better about walking away from a '70 CST K20. It would not be like trying to keep a parchment on white truck clean. New they look a little dirty but being correct I like them. Yours in the very light tan (sandalwood) color along with the light gold vinyl make for a pleasing color combination. The picture s over in 623 picture post really gives a good feel for the color scheme. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537301
As I forgot to notate the color chart earlier here it is.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I sanded and painted mine.While I had them off I took some very thin styrofoam packing sheets(like nesprint but out of styro) and spray glued i to the backs.It quietened it down and helped some wth heat.The factory used a clear plastic sheet to help seal out air,I used a thin rubberized cloth gasket material.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote