The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
gramps77

LMC replacement A/C compressor

Has anyone utilized the compressor at LMC truck, part # 32-2701 which is supposed to be a direct replacement for the A6 compressor?
My truck is all stock and A/C worked great until the original compressor got a crack in the housing at a weld. (make sure ALL brackets are loose before trying to remove and replace belts.)

Link here http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=57
gramps77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: LMC replacement A/C compressor

I don't know anyone who has this compressor, but here is a link to the website for the manufacturer:

http://www.s6compressor.com/about.html

I think you might find a better price if you search all of the vendors listed on their website.

The concept sounds good but I think the LMC price is near the price of a new Delco compressor.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
gramps77

Thanks for the link. I'll search for that compressor. I was just worried about getting some Chinese substitute although I guess I cant verify if this one is actually US either
Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

LMC is very hit or miss with their parts.. id be very leery of buying somehting of that nature from them.. Im sure a good auto parts house can get you a rebuilt OEM for close enough to that cost once you add in shipping and all... NAPA or even Advanced

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

I agree with Bob, I'd never buy anything such as this online. Any issues and your play'n mail tag for weeks, And most will not pay return shipping...... Buy Local !
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I would only buy compressors locally. Due to the high amount of rebuild failures, it's easier to take back locally.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
tucsonjwt

Your best bet - find and A/C shop and see if they installed any of these S6 compressors. My local A/C shop had installed only one when I had my A/C serviced there 2 years ago. They were skeptical about it but they were willing to give it a try. As I recall, they wanted about $200 more than the best online price I could find. If I found a good review or two I would give it a try, but I am the gambling type. Otherwise, official Delco remans are around the $200-$300 price range. I would stay away from parts store brand remans or even new ones. The cost of drain, remove, reinstall, recharge makes buying a crappy aftermarket compressor a bad idea. I have wasted too much money on store brand compressors.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
gramps77

found this place, all they seem to do is AC. Should be a legit conversion kit.
http://www.classicautoair.com/GM_OEM...ompressor.html
Old 08-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
LEEVON

Guys remember LMC doesn't manufacture the S6 compressor, they're just sell it. If you're not comfortable buying it from them then buy it from an a/c dealer like old air, classic auto air (linked above), etc. I haven't found much info on the S6, but it's not hard to improve on the original design. If they put the effort and $$$ in to do so for a specific market like replacement out-of-date compressors then chances are good that it's a win. Just my .02.

As stated above, the parts store re-mans of the A6's are mostly junk.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #10
tucsonjwt

Just a thought, your link is for Sanden compressors. The A/C shops I have talked to don't like them - say they are too small for big American vehicles. I have no experience with them. Check with your local A/C shops and ask their opinion on both the Sanden and the S6. Your best bet is to talk with actual working pros in the field every day. Like I said, I would gamble on an S6 if a pro gave me a good review. Or, I would buy a Delco A6 rebuild only or spend big $$$$$ for a new Delco.
I know Vintage Air and others use the Sandens in their kits, and some forum members here have had good results with them, so each to his or her own.