The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
hotrod1
56 - autocross

How to take off rear tire and rim

Ok, not what it seems.

Take for example the attached picture (not my truck). When the rear tire/rim is so close to the fender and the fender comes down over both of them, what is the secret to getting the tire/rim off? The suspension usually does not have enough travel (no bags) to drop the suspension down far enough. Unhook the shocks?

I am contemplating getting wider rims which would put the tire 1/2 away from the fender.

What do u guys do?
Attached Images

hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
oldcouple

Re: How to take off rear tire and rim

Maybe its a case for run flat tires, question is, how are you going to get them on if you cannot get them off?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
parkwood

in the case of that truck you would have to raise the truck as high as it would go, unbolt the shock,coil over, air bag, or what every and let the rear end hang down as low as you could then unbolt the rim and slowly pull it off and out at an angle.. the rear disc doesn't look that bit so the rim would drop down some there and by rolling it out you could get it... this is something you don't want to do on the side of the road so keep your AAA road side service up to date.
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
G&R's57GMC

Blah, blah, blah ...

Make the bed dump and show off the chassis, then the tire problem is solved.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Chevette

Do it like Kim is doing. Hinge the box and use Hydraulics or linear actuators to lift it. That's what I will have to do also.
Attached Images

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Chevette: How close are you to the rear fenders? What size rims are you using? I think mine will be about 1/2 inch away from the fenders and am going to use a 19x13 or 19x12. the only way I see getting the wheel out is to disconnect the shock. Not going down the dump route.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
Chevette: How close are you to the rear fenders? What size rims are you using? I think mine will be about 1/2 inch away from the fenders and am going to use a 19x13 or 19x12. the only way I see getting the wheel out is to disconnect the shock. Not going down the dump route.
I'm using a 19X12 with a 335/30/19 tire. When I'm finished modifying the fenders I will have 3/4" clearance. I will attach my box in such a way that I can jack up the box to remove the wheel/tire. Disconnecting the shock is not an option for me anywhere but in a shop because the C5 suspension makes it hard to get at the shock with the wheel/tire on. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
I'm using a 19X12 with a 335/30/19 tire. When I'm finished modifying the fenders I will have 3/4" clearance. I will attach my box in such a way that I can jack up the box to remove the wheel/tire. Disconnecting the shock is not an option for me anywhere but in a shop because the C5 suspension makes it hard to get at the shock with the wheel/tire on. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Looks good. What make tire and rim are you using? They look very similar to the ones that I am using, lateral G by Boze alloys. What are you doing to modify the fenders? Tubs? What offset are you running? I will be at 0.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Chevette

Quote:
Looks good. What make tire and rim are you using? They look very similar to the ones that I am using, lateral G by Boze alloys. What are you doing to modify the fenders? Tubs? What offset are you running? I will be at 0.
Mine are LG Motorsport wheels and the tires on the truck right now are mockup used Michelin 325/30/19 tires, but I will be installing Nitto NT05's and honestly, I don't remember what the offset is on those wheels but I doubt it's 0. If you check my build, you will see what I'm in the process of doing to the rear fenders.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
buggy5872

I pull loose both coil overs and let the rear drop down low enough to get the tire off. Then I still have to fight with it and turn it at an angle to get it over the rotor and out.

1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
Blah, blah, blah ...

Make the bed dump and show off the chassis, then the tire problem is solved.
Yep, still can't figure out why a guy would want ugly wheels like that on an early truck though. They look on new Dodge Charger wagons but ugly and silly on old trucks.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Yep, still can't figure out why a guy would want ugly wheels like that on an early truck though. They look on new Dodge Charger wagons but ugly and silly on old trucks.

That is not nice to say about a fellow members project. Everybody has their own opinion about what they want. Should everyone's truck look like yours?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
mknittle

lol i am the same way about wheels. my wife thinks I am nuts!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I agree with you hotrod1

If its your truck no one has to understand or like it but you. My opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to my rides.

When I don't care for something, I keep my mouth shut because I know my opinion is only important to me. Now if you ask me, that's a whole different story.lol
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
mr48chev

Quote:
That is not nice to say about a fellow members project. Everybody has their own opinion about what they want. Should everyone's truck look like yours?

I understand the "I gotta have the latest fad thing on my truck to be considered one of the cool guys" thing and I bought into that for a long time. Then one day I got so burned out worrying about my truck competing with those trucks with all the cool new stuff I just quit and left the hobby for a few years. After a few years I woke up and figured out that I really don't need to buy into that concept.

The orange truck is a beautiful show truck and no doubt will win many show trophies during it's time in the limelight before new fads take over and it ends up so 2012.

And yes progress on my truck is a slow go. The work schedule doesn't allow for a lot of time to get things done and right now working out in the open in 100 degree weather isn't my idea of fun. I am gathering pieces though and one of these days will have progress to report.
Hopefully it will be a timeless build that will look just as good ten years from the day it rolls out painted and upholstered as it did then.

And I will always think that those great big billet wheels with the very low profile sidewall tires look more than a bit silly on our older trucks but that is my opinion and I'll stick with it.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
I agree with you hotrod1

If its your truck no one has to understand or like it but you. My opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to my rides.

When I don't care for something, I keep my mouth shut because I know my opinion is only important to me. Now if you ask me, that's a whole different story.lol
I agree 100%. If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing. My father used to say "It's better sit there saying nothing and be thought of as dumb, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #17
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
My father used to say "It's better sit there saying nothing and be thought of as dumb, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".
LOL. I like that.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #18
Daze57

Very good saying !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
mr48chev

Ok you guys have made your point and I shouldn't have made such a comment on the choice of wheels no matter how I feel about them.

One has to remember that we are a diverse group and we all have different ideas on how a truck should be done. Some want the latest trick of the week, some think that these trucks should only be restored to "original" and some of us prefer a more traditional timeless look that won't go out of style in two years.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Ok you guys have made your point and I shouldn't have made such a comment on the choice of wheels no matter how I feel about them.

One has to remember that we are a diverse group and we all have different ideas on how a truck should be done. Some want the latest trick of the week, some think that these trucks should only be restored to "original" and some of us prefer a more traditional timeless look that won't go out of style in two years.
LOL. There are still a lot of digs in that statement.lol I don't know too many trucks that don't start to look dated. Paint scheme, interior, flames, etc can also make a vehicle look dated. Yes we can play it safe and build a truck with a solid color and rally's and call it day, but for guys who like a kustom touch whats the fun in that.

Why is it so hard to say to each his own.lol
Old 08-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
mr48chev

I lived that gotta have the latest trickest item on the truck thing for over 20 years Kabwe and it is the main reason I got burned out and left the truck alone for several years. I'm just not into worrying about if my truck has the latest trick things that keep it up to date anymore but still don't want guys to look at it five years from now and have guys go "I'll bet I can guess what year he built that".
But the guys who are into that keep the wheel manufactures in business along with tire manufactures and the other outfits that produce and pedal the latest tricky slicky truck stuff making money so they can pay their help.

I'm sure some guys won't like my truck because I chopped the top, made suicide doors and stretched the cab 9 inches. Others won't like it because it is only going to have a six in it rather than the bigblock that is sitting in the corner of the garage. Still others won't like the 15 inch white walls and hubcaps.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
hotrod1
56 - autocross

who care what everyone else likes. There is should be appreciation no matter what everyone does or likes. I am not a fan of the skinny tire, large rim, low riders, but I sure appreciate the work that they put into them and the beautiful craftsmanship; especially the paint. I would not have one but I sure like to look at them.

Everyone has their own deal, including you. I like that. It makes things more fun.

By the way, dont ever look at my project because you will really wont like it, and i dont want to have to hear about it.

By the way, I do like what you have done to your truck. It was a lot of work and I appreciate that.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Well hotrod1, you know how I feel about cars and trucks you've looked at trucks with me.lol

Don't get upset about it just do you man. Its your ride and do your thing.
I like everything that is done well. If its executed well and sticks with the theme of the build I like it. I like wide whites to billet wheels it all depends on the theme of the vehicle.

But as hotrod1 said, it does not matter if I like it or not, its not my truck. I don't give my opinion about someone's truck unless I'm asked. They may not like what I do and here I am telling them what to like.lol No one is wrong about what they like. No one.

Last edited by Kabwe; 08-17-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
Daze57

guys ........ my 02 cents is this .......if you build it and you like it ? thats it - --- if others dont like it? o well !!!! they dont have to look at it .
i think that we all have different tastes - low or not - blown or not - stock or not .
we are all here to show what we have - share what we have and help all we can - i hope that is the name of the game here .We all dont have skills but we all have some type of passion to build what we want . its all good - for everyone involved - hopefully we can get more younger guys to appreaciat what we have - and for us ''older'' guys - build what we want - ya cant take it with ya - unless ya got a big box. Dass it i am off the soap box - well i really fell of it......lol
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
hotrod1
56 - autocross

thats funny, unless you have a big box.