The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Bumbadawg

Problems with my 1977 Chevy C10

Hi all,

So it goes a little something like this:

I recently bought a 1977 Chevy C10 and it ran great for the first two days. However on the third day-or night I should say-after work, I went out and tried to start it so that I could head home. I turned the key numerous times and all I got was the whine of the starter. I applied the gas several times and then pumped it. Finally I got it to turn over but it died almost as quickly. After letting the fuel pump run for a minute I turned it over again and this time it idled..albeit close to death..until I touched the gas pedal. Then it died.

I had the vehicle towed to my parents place which wasnt far away and changed the fuel pump. After a few attempts it rumbled to life-I messed with the carbs (edelbrock four barrel) mix and idle screws til it sounded real good. I let it run for a bit and then ran it up and down the road. Finally I drove it home. It felt strong. Stopped at Autozone and grabbed a new filter and then hopped back in and drove it home. It sat for a day and then I went out to start it. Nothing but the whine of the starter..finally it kicked over..but I only got it to rev a couple of times and then when I let go of the gas pedal..dead again.

Is there any way that we can come up with a consensus for what I should try next? The guy that installed the carb did a horrible job and has like four bolts on each screw as spacers as well as a lot of sealant around the gasket area. Maybe a air leak there? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am very "green" at even working on cars. Quite literally changing the fuel pump was the first thing I have ever done to a vehicle save checking the oil. =)

Thanks,
Joe Bullins

Greensboro, NC
Bumbadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Tinkermc

Re: Problems with my 1977 Chevy C10

I have a 67 and a 72 and they bith require very different methods of starting. On the 72 if you touch the gas your done wthout the gas she fires right up. The 67 must pump it 4 or 5 times and when it starts don't touch the gas for about 2 mnutes if it is cold or it dies
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
76stepsidechevy

Thats a good point, I've had a few edelbrocks on different things over the years. My routine was always one pump on a stone cold motor in the morning and then no pumps anytime I started it again the same day. If I pumped it before restarting I'd end up flooding the motor and I'd have to hold it to the floor while cranking.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Square_78

On my 78 with quadrajet, I have to give it about 5 pumps when cold and then it fires up. On my 1970 with an edelbrock 1406, you give it max ONE pump when cold otherwise its flooded. If you go out and its 70 degrees out and havent driven the truck since the day before, NO pumps needed otherwise it floods out. Its only on cooler mornings that it need a pump of gas to get it going.
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
geezer#99

Pics!! Give us some pics of your carb and top of your motor with the air cleaner off!!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote