The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
scwillie1

1972 Paint / Grill Questions

I just got a 1972 C-10 Custom Deluxe LWB. It has all the chrome down both sides. My question is....all the trucks I see pictures of with two chrome strips running down each side have two tone paint. A few have a white or light colored cab and maybe even the same white or light colored below the lower chrome down the side of the truck. Whats factory? Is a black grill factory?
Thanks!

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB Step Side (44k miles)
1972 Chevy C-10 LWB Custome Deluxe (project)
1977 Chevy K-10 SWB Mud Drag Truck (51 wins)
scwillie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
pdawg

Re: 1972 Paint / Grill Questions

I've got a 72 Custom deluxe with the upper and lower trim down the sides and mine is just the solid Hawaiian blue - no two tone. I always thought that was a GMC thing to have two tone.? For sure that was factory as I still have the original paint ( what's left of it anyway !)
Posted via Mobile Device
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
jocko

Re: 1972 Paint / Grill Questions

scwillie, welcome(!) - all the options you mention were factory and available with upper and lower trim on the truck. a) Solid / b) white over solid / c) white over solid over white / d) white over solid over white over solid combos were all available from the factory with the upper and lower trim pieces you mention. What you could not get, for instance, was a 2-tone arrangement without the trim being ordered to properly separate the colors. So, a "3-tone" (obtion c with 2 colors) had to have at least the lower trim and a "4-tone" ( option d with 2 colors) had to have upper and lower trim. Option b simply required the rear cab bright trim to separate the paint on the backside of the cab.

To further confuse the issue - the white didn't have to be "white" - there are some odd factory combos out there (like medium olive over dark olive, black over red, medium olive over yellow, etc) - all depended what the owner ordered when new.

EDIT: oh, and a black grille is not factory - it was normally a satin silver (or gray, whatever you want to call it) - pic of correct factory color and correct black for a 72 below (the only black on a 72 was the part of the grille surround around the headlight buckets and the only black on a 71 was the same area + an outer trim strip of black on the whole surround):
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 09-09-2012 at 08:54 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote