The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
lsxponcho

weird but interesting spindle question

Long story short, im trying to figure out a strategy to lower my crew cab shorty. Being that I like day dream about lowering my pickup, but cant seem to decide how, its taking my mind to all sorts of wierd places. For example slammed 8 lug, or maybe 5 lug conversion (as i have a 1/2 ton rolling chassis for spare parts), or something really weird like 6 lug???

Here's where the method to my madness is coming from. Please note, I have not picked any one of these yet, but I am recently intrigued by the possibility of going 6 lug all the sudden after looking a bucannon's 2wd 6 lug lift spindle thread.

This started when my father in law informed me he thought he had a set of drop spindles laying around. He made a convincing story on how the green mile would look cool, and be cheaper in the long run to go 5 lug, and stick in my 12 bolt from my rolling chassis. Much to my dismay i realized they were Belltech 2400 spindles which are for the 88-98 pickups with 1" rotor. Crappy end to that story....or maybe not?

I was surfing around a few threads and noticed some of the belltech spindles stamped 2400, are actually 2500's (same casting just different spindle stub lenght). Which is kind of good news even though i have not measured my spindles yet. The 2500's are the larger stub of the 2 to fit 1.25 rotors, and also fit the c2500ld 6 lug hubs. Then the light bulb go off. If bucannon got 6 lug 4 inch lift spindles to work with 88-98 upper ball joints, outer tie rod ends, 3/4 ton lower ball joints etc, then would the same apply to these drop spindles? If were going that far, and being that belltech claims the 2400 and 2500 are the same casting, that would mean they share the same ball joint size, tie rod, etc, but the 2400 would just run you 5 lug. Would that mean that both these 2 belltech spindles will fit our 73-87 trucks?

That would be cool...either 5 lug or 6 lug. 6 lug lowered would look wierd and cool, which is kinda my thing, and would open up endless rear end combinations, like a newer junkyard disk rear from 99 to present pickup. I know 6 lug wheel choice gets wierd, but i like the baby step initial thought of this. I like doing stuff on the cheap, and have good connections.

Sorry for the eurika type rant...this was just a long way of saying/asking that im cheap....have these spindles....and want to know if they fit, haha.
lsxponcho is offline   Reply With Quote