The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
dropanddrag71

Help Understanding hitch ratings with a bumper and ball.

Heres what i am wanting to do.. I want to rent a u haul car trailer to tow my classic car from one location to another. The truck i have is a 70 3/4 ton, all stock, all HD springs. I have what i think is a dealer installed bumper with access to install a ball to tow with. (pic below).
I called to reserve and there asking things like hitch ratings, whats the decal on the bumper say about hitch ratings???
I am under the impression that with a ball on the bumper these 3/4 tons can tow almost anything!!
I haven't bought the ball yet, but assume all i needed was a 2 incher.
Absolutely no decals or markings anywhere on the bumper. All i can be certain is that grade 8 bolts are used to install everything on the truck bumper and brackets.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: Help Understanding hitch ratings with a bumper and ball.

When you buy a ball, the top of the ball itself has an engraving with the max capacity. I have your same bumper, and just bought a 7,000 rated 2" ball for 8 bucks at Walmart. They had higher rated balls for more money, but that's enough for me. This is probably all they need to know.

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
SS Tim

They are wanting to see rating numbers that are common on later bumpers as stampings or stickers. Your bumper is probably around 3K/300 lbs as a load rating. Being an aftermarket bumper it is hard to say what the manufacturer rated that bumper/application. SAE I (2000/200) rating is common for inexpensive aftermarket step bumpers.
U-Haul is a pita on trailers and doing something once is no guaranty it will happen again. But a lot of this depends on the vehicle being carried. A Nash Metro. vs a Plymouth Fury is a world of difference.
Might want to consider adding a late, proper 10k/1000 receiver hitch and even buying a trailer to eliminate hassles with "approved" application and trailer availability.
Good luck!
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
kwmech

I have a similar bumper that actually has a tag on it. 500# tongue weight and 5000 tow. If you want something heavier, you'll have to go to a receiver style
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
SS Tim

In your case the bumper itself between the hitch ball and your "grade 8" bolts is the problem and the unknown as far as a posted capacity.
It is not at all uncommon to see these on trucks that are used and abused to have the center all tweaked and veed out by some ill advised load.

Here is a load chart for '72 from GM. Remeber these are the truck's rating with the correct frame mounted hitch which a step bumper generally is not.

Grew up using U-Hauls and probaly have a couple of their 2 1/8' balls still, maybe even a 2 piece relic.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote