The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
rs74

I found our old panel truck after ten years.

My step dad sold our panel truck about ten years ago. I was suppose to buy it but I was in my early twenties and very irresponsible at the time. I was more of a partier and didn't have much of anything else on my mind but a good time.

I have been on the look out for a 64-66 SWB 2wd here lately and that got me thinking about the ol panel. So I knew who had bought it but wasn't quite sure if he still had it and if so if he would even sell it. I got in the Jeep today and drove the 15 miles to where he had lived. At first I didn't see it, so I drove around to another rode to give me a different angle of view to his home which is down a lane. There it sat.

I turned around and debating whether to go knock on his door. I end up stopping and he answered. Told him who I was. He was an old friend of my step dad's. My step dad passed about 5 years ago. Anyway I asked what his plans where with the panel and he asked it I was ready to have it back. I told him I was and he said he had been thinking about selling it. He is going to pull the engine and put in his monte carlo but that wont be until spring.

I asked him what he wanted out of it and he told me. It is going to need a little more work than the condition it was in when he bought it. He has taken all the wiring our of the dash as he said it shorted out on him. I didn't go out and look it over but I did take a photo with my phone which didn't come out very good. But none the less I told him to call me come spring and I would come get it. I even told him if he needed a place to do all the swapping then he could do it in my shop. Kind of stoked about the whole deal right now but it is not in my possesion yet. But hopeful in the near future it will be. Oh yeah by the way it is a 60.
Attached Images

rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
perro13

Re: I found our old panel truck after ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
My step dad sold our panel truck about ten years ago. I was suppose to buy it but I was in my early twenties and very irresponsible at the time. I was more of a partier and didn't have much of anything else on my mind but a good time.

I have been on the look out for a 64-66 SWB 2wd here lately and that got me thinking about the ol panel. So I knew who had bought it but wasn't quite sure if he still had it and if so if he would even sell it. I got in the Jeep today and drove the 15 miles to where he had lived. At first I didn't see it, so I drove around to another rode to give me a different angle of view to his home which is down a lane. There it sat.

I turned around and debating whether to go knock on his door. I end up stopping and he answered. Told him who I was. He was an old friend of my step dad's. My step dad passed about 5 years ago. Anyway I asked what his plans where with the panel and he asked it I was ready to have it back. I told him I was and he said he had been thinking about selling it. He is going to pull the engine and put in his monte carlo but that wont be until spring.

I asked him what he wanted out of it and he told me. It is going to need a little more work than the condition it was in when he bought it. He has taken all the wiring our of the dash as he said it shorted out on him. I didn't go out and look it over but I did take a photo with my phone which didn't come out very good. But none the less I told him to call me come spring and I would come get it. I even told him if he needed a place to do all the swapping then he could do it in my shop. Kind of stoked about the whole deal right now but it is not in my possesion yet. But hopeful in the near future it will be. Oh yeah by the way it is a 60.
Nice story, you don't always get that lucky.
perro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
rs74

Are there any resources for parts anywhere for these trucks? I know right behind the passenger door the lower 1/4 is smashed in from me when I younger. Are the lower portions the same as a truck? I think that all I have right now is a LMC book that covers the trucks.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
best view

pauls pickup parts he would be my choice he in ne also sells on here
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Good for you. I hope it all works out and you end up having it back. It's just so uncommon to ever even be able to locate a previously owned vehicle, let alone work out an affordable deal. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
monolith
Zero Albedo

I love hearing stories of folks locating vehicles with sentimental value!
Best of luck reacquiring the truck in spring!
Posted via Mobile Device

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

66 GMC 1500 wideside longbed 250 4spd "Project Rekker"http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467467
65 GMC 1Ton Panelhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...32#post4794432
65 Chevy Panel (former U.S.Navy truck)
64 Chevy Suburban Carryall 4x4http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358348
64 GMC 1000 wideside longbed 305 4spdhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3600890(Rip- parts truck now)
68 Dodge Charger
monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
rs74

Thanks for the kind words. I wish it was in better shape but I guess that doesn't really matter in the end. I will have to see how bad the rust is that has accumulated since he has had it. It has sat outside all this time.

I have mixed thoughts about what I want to do with it. The one thing that I know for sure is that I want to be able to put the family in it and make it our vacation vehicle. So I am already thinking an LS engine and tranny. I would like to find a nice aftermarket AC unit that isn't real bulky under the dash unless I can find an original AC truck and swap dashes.

I own my own floor cleaning business so I have had the thought of making it a rolling advertisement for the business as well. Maybe fit all these ideas into one. But I am not sure that I want to paint it white to match my van. Time will tell. I will also be wanting to switch to five lug and a newer front crossmember and suspension as well as lowering it a bit but I dont think I want to C- notch it.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
travz500

If I was you I would try to buy it now and pull the engine and give to him or it might be along time have waited on deals like that write something up that you will do all the work and deliver motor back to him might get it faster and keeps him from having second thoughts and not selling it
Posted via Mobile Device
travz500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Auctioneerhere

Yes get the deal done or you might miss it. I just lost a 64 Step side because I procrastinated a while in going to get it.
Auctioneerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
Brad54

If you've got a shop to work out of I'd tell him you'll do the engine swap into his Monte and put what he thinks that's worth toward the cost of the truck.
Then you'll have the vehicle at your place a lot sooner.

Good luck!

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
If you've got a shop to work out of I'd tell him you'll do the engine swap into his Monte and put what he thinks that's worth toward the cost of the truck.
Then you'll have the vehicle at your place a lot sooner.

Good luck!

-Brad
I am starting to think of something like that a little more. I don't have much of a shop to speak of. I have a section of my 30x63 pole barn that is concreted that I work on my stuff. It is crammed full but enough room that I can pull my crewcab into.

I will have to see where I could put the panel that it would be out of the weather until I get a few other things sold. My buildings are full. I bought my wife a 65 Mustang and it is setting outside right now. But that is okay because it is one of those four letter bad words.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #12
MikeS.

Good for you.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

60-63 only came with underdash Air, crotch air as it was knicknamed.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote