The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
A.Bursell

Wiper Motor Gasket Help

Getting ready to install a wiper motor in my 67. I picked up a new gasket from Brothers. Do I install it dry with the gasket or do I use some sealant on it? If so, from gasket to cowl or gasket to motor or both?

Any other tips?

Thanks,

Adam
Posted via Mobile Device
A.Bursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
sboris

Re: Wiper Motor Gasket Help

No sealant that I know of. Should be made of a tar like substance. Just slip it over the shaft, should kinda stick, then install the motor. Tightening the screws will squish it to make it seal.. All from the inside
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

As I recall, I used a dab of Henrys Plastic roof cement on both sides of the gasket just to make sure. Its black and kind of soft like the gasket, so it looks right and will insure no leaks period.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

New seal I got was rubber and I used sealant on mine. It is a good area for water to seep in undetected (like mine) so why take a chance.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
A.Bursell

The new one is a rubber type of seal. Maybe I should put a little on just for good measure. I'd rather not take it apart again to reseal it because I didn't. Unless someone has a reason why I shouldn't...

Adam
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
sboris

A Little precaution doesn't hurt..
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #7
A.Bursell

I did put a little black RTV around the edge of the gasket. Probably not necessary as this new gasket is cut much tighter around the wiper motor than the original. Same size outside dimension, but this one is tight enough that I had to have the arm off the motor to slip it on. I think it will seal well, and a little extra didn't hurt.

Thanks guys.

Adam
Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
GMCPaul

Whoever sold you guys a rubber windshield wiper motor seal has done you a disservice as the rubber seal will quickly dry out crack & shrink from the underhood temps they become subjected to leading them to leak. The wiper motor seals should be a fiberous type seal thats impregnated with a tar like substance as the fiboruos portion is designed to withstand the high temps in the area of the wiper motor and the tar like substance its impregnated with is designed to seal it to the firewall & motor. Those rubber seals generally crack within the 1st year of use leading to air & water leaks.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
A.Bursell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
Whoever sold you guys a rubber windshield wiper motor seal has done you a disservice as the rubber seal will quickly dry out crack & shrink from the underhood temps they become subjected to leading them to leak. The wiper motor seals should be a fiberous type seal thats impregnated with a tar like substance as the fiboruos portion is designed to withstand the high temps in the area of the wiper motor and the tar like substance its impregnated with is designed to seal it to the firewall & motor. Those rubber seals generally crack within the 1st year of use leading to air & water leaks.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
I know it's not pure rubber, I said it was rubber like because that's the closest thing I could think of. I don't know what it's actually made of, but it was black and a little sticky and I could see some fibers running through it on one side. It came in a sealed bag. It wasn't as sticky as the original one I pulled out, but I assume that's because it's been on there for 45 years. I got mine from Brothers. I'm hoping this is what you are describing and it lasts at least as long as the original.

Adam
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bursell View Post
I know it's not pure rubber, I said it was rubber like because that's the closest thing I could think of. I don't know what it's actually made of, but it was black and a little sticky and I could see some fibers running through it on one side. It came in a sealed bag. It wasn't as sticky as the original one I pulled out, but I assume that's because it's been on there for 45 years. I got mine from Brothers. I'm hoping this is what you are describing and it lasts at least as long as the original.

Adam
Adam yes from your description you have described a original style wiper motor seal. Once they heat up from underhood temps they become even stickier as the tar like substance rises to the surface on them.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote