The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
yellow400ex05

Exclamation NEED HELP! carb is extremely shot on my DD '66

Alright so the other day I had stomped on it in my '66 C10 with the factory original 283 2 Barrel v8 and it had good power for about 5 seconds and then lost all its power and wouldn't take over 1/10th throttle. Now I assumed it was the accelerator pump so I ordered a kit and took it down to the mechanic and figured it would be fairly straight forward, but it turns out a TON of junk let loose in the tank and bombed the carburetor and jets, and among that multiple parts are missing from the carb from over the years and now i either need to hunt down an original 2 barrel for parts or covert to a 4 barrel which i had intended to do down the road.

Well, I need to know, what carb is a good carb for my original '66 283? I don't want to have to put different valve covers on it for a breather, will I have to do that to run a 1406 500CFM Edelbrock?

here's the 66 283 in my 1957 Chevy, it has a 1406 Edelbrock carb, but I don't want to take off my original nice Chevy script valve covers. would I have to convert with the carb you see here if I were to use it for my '66 C10? or is there a way to run those breathers to somewhere else on my engine that i don't know about?

help me out here, i need my truck to get to work and can't afford a ton of down time.
yellow400ex05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: NEED HELP! carb is extremely shot on my DD '66

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow400ex05 View Post
Alright so the other day I had stomped on it in my '66 C10 with the factory original 283 2 Barrel v8 and it had good power for about 5 seconds and then lost all its power and wouldn't take over 1/10th throttle. Now I assumed it was the accelerator pump so I ordered a kit and took it down to the mechanic and figured it would be fairly straight forward, but it turns out a TON of junk let loose in the tank and bombed the carburetor and jets, and among that multiple parts are missing from the carb from over the years and now i either need to hunt down an original 2 barrel for parts or covert to a 4 barrel which i had intended to do down the road.

Well, I need to know, what carb is a good carb for my original '66 283? I don't want to have to put different valve covers on it for a breather, will I have to do that to run a 1406 500CFM Edelbrock?

here's the 66 283 in my 1957 Chevy, it has a 1406 Edelbrock carb, but I don't want to take off my original nice Chevy script valve covers. would I have to convert with the carb you see here if I were to use it for my '66 C10? or is there a way to run those breathers to somewhere else on my engine that i don't know about?

help me out here, i need my truck to get to work and can't afford a ton of down time.
A huge question!!! I've had excellent results with quadrajets on every v-8 chevy from 283 to 396. But, I've spent bookoos of time studying and experimenting with them. In stock form, they will just about give any stock engine whatever it needs, neither overloading nor starving it.

To install on a 283, get an acceptable 4bbl intake(aluminum after-mkt or original cast iron), put a pcv valve on one valve cover--any kind: nice, used ones can be had for $20--and run other end of vacuum hose to a carb take-off that has vacuum regardless of accelerator position(I use vac source on back of q'jet.); and a simple breather on the other valve cover:NOTICE: If your engine with 4bbl intake has a front tubular oil spout with a breather cap on it, the breather in 2nd v-cover can be omitted; ensure pcv-grommet fits its hole and the breather fits hole on other vc. [Plug any extra holes the vc's may have, using O'Reilly or Napa or Advance Auto rubber plugs. May hafta plug one breather tube-outlet behind the distributor--the one that used a down-pipe for a breather on older sbc v-8's. IF THIS hole has a grommet for a pcv valve, by all means use it instead of the vc-type pcv valve. Just remember, you need a pcv-valve pulled by vacuum, along with a breather-inlet to allow fresh air flow, from breather thru engine pan thru pcv valve and into engine vacuum to be burned--and design it such that it enters one side(end) of engine and exits other side(end).]

I'd say the E'brock 1406/500CFM would hook up and work the same. They have a vacuum source for pcv system, and v-covers would hook up the same for breathing. They'd cost me more than a good-working Q'jet, which I can find cheap and then rebuild them cheap; plus due to scarcity of cheap 500-cfm E'brocks on used parts mkt. Then too, I hear the E'brocks are not as fuel-efficient as Q'jets. Just look at Q'jet tiny primaries vs. their huge secondaries--like cruising on a small 2-bbl and then have plenty of juice for acceleration when your vacuum calls for huge secondaries to open.

On another hand: If you have to buy new, then the E'brock 500 cfm should be your cheapest initial route; and I hear they do run/perform good right out of the box, and are virtually trouble free.

Whichever you get, get one with an electric choke.

HTH, and good luck with your decision.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
geezer#99

Re: NEED HELP! carb is extremely shot on my DD '66

Just replace your carb or rebuild the one you have.
Look here for a carb.
http://www.carburetion.com/CarbID/RochesterID.htm
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote