The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
JOJABOY

DIY Cupholders

Project is on hold for now. Had to have surgery on foot this morning. But thought I would post photos of the rough draft and see what opinions are out there.

I laminated boards to get the shape I was looking for. the put some 3/4" quarter round to get that curved edge. I was trying to keep the lines similar to those on the gauge cluster and glove box corners. I then drilled holes with a 3" hole saw for each cup. Once I had my wood box framed out, I stretched some spiderman crib sheet over the outside and painted on the polyester resin from a fiberglass kit. Body filler over that to work the imperfections, plexiglas on the bottom of the cups, painted underside of plexiglas orange and installed two LED bulbs to illuminate the cups when the head lamps are on.

All that's left once my foot heals a little it to finish the body filler sanding, paint gloss black and line the inside edges of cups with some thin craft foam from Michaels.
Name:  2013-02-02 12.59.22.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  2013-02-02 12.59.12.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  DIY Cup Holder C-10.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  32.1 KB
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
wild4wheels

Re: DIY Cupholders

Cool! u need to post this in the Budget Mods thread!

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
JOJABOY

I will. It was a fun project. Drove one of my younger Marines crazy though. Did all the fiberglass and bondo work in the armory at work where I had bench room and good lighting and everything except good ventilation. Ha-Ha-Ha- It will probably smell like a body shop for months now.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Tinsmith9

Nice work! I've been thinking about making one since my truck has armstrong steering. So you did all that with you left foot? Pretty good Marine!

Dan (1st Marine Brigade 72-73)
Tinsmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
JOJABOY

I tore ligaments in my foot and ended up having to have bones pinned together along with the "big toe" foot bone cut shifted and srewed back together. My foot has been all jacked up for a couple months. But I'm not one that sits still well. So I ended up doing all the work in my armory where I could sit on a stool and work off the bench. Didn't have surgery till yesterday. Now I'm layed up on the couch in imense pain with nothing to do but read about trucks and get more ideas for when I'm back up and about. LOL I will finish the cupholder project when I can. I just wanted to get it in there to check fitment and to actually have something that will hold a cup of Joe.

72-73 was slightly before my time. My time on planet started in '74. I will have my 20 next February and can start collecting that coveted retirement check. Maybe I can move back to the country and open "Gunny's Garage" servicing Chevy trucks for the next 20 years.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Tinsmith9

Good for you Gunny. Just had thumb reconstruction on my old wornout left hand this past week so I'm with you on the discomfort level right now but at least I'm mobile. I do a bit of metal work and have been thinking about makin a holder of some sort so I apppreciate all the different ideas. Won't be driving the truck or fabricating for quite some time yet but I'll let you know if I come up with anything worthwhile. Heal up quick and thanks for your service.
Dan
Tinsmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote