The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Rough ride with Rough Country, going to try new shocks?

My 72 GMC 4X4 has a Rough country 4" lift, springs in front, blocks in the rear with the Rough Country Shocks that came with it. the po installed the lift so i don't have any specs on them. It's not a horrible ride but its not that great either. I could try a new lift but I want to try new shocks first. Mine seems to bounce around a little, it corners fine, doesn't lean but if I hit a bump on a corner it will give me a little surprise, it's not so bad that I lose control but I know it can be better. Hitting a crack or bump in the road feels kinda hard and jerks my back around. Can any of you recommend a good set of shocks? Should I look for some kind of an adjustable shock? I have no idea what to look for! Thanks for any suggested on what to look for, features, brands, whatever!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
RANDY COX

Re: Rough ride with Rough Country, going to try new shocks?

That's why it's called rough country,that's always been the one I chose guess cause of the price....
Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
elks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
My 72 GMC 4X4 has a Rough country 4" lift, springs in front, blocks in the rear with the Rough Country Shocks that came with it. the po installed the lift so i don't have any specs on them. It's not a horrible ride but its not that great either. I could try a new lift but I want to try new shocks first. Mine seems to bounce around a little, it corners fine, doesn't lean but if I hit a bump on a corner it will give me a little surprise, it's not so bad that I lose control but I know it can be better. Hitting a crack or bump in the road feels kinda hard and jerks my back around. Can any of you recommend a good set of shocks? Should I look for some kind of an adjustable shock? I have no idea what to look for! Thanks for any suggested on what to look for, features, brands, whatever!
Posted via Mobile Device
Shock will not help much at all. Rough country is exactly what you get. I have had several friends try them and hate them. Shy Jacker is much better.

As far as shocks. Old man EMuU, Skyjacker Hydros, Rancho etc. But the spring are way too stiff and not very liked in teh 4x4 world.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
bowtie72

Unfortunately you have a low quality lift. There are a few things you can do to make it handle better, and ride better.
Did they replace the front spring hanger bushings? (no one does this)
Did they replace the rear shackle bushings? (no one does this either)
These bushings will make a big difference. There is alot more you can do depending how much time you have and not alot more money.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
kevmcrae

I had a 4 inch rough country. Was even rougher because the PO put an add-a-leaf on the front to support the 454. Horrible ride. Bought a 6 inch Skyjacker softride with Skyjacker Hydro shocks. It's a completely new truck now!
kevmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote