The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
exdrocca

how to engage starter pinion?

I just installed a mini-starter, and I was wondering how do I get the pinion gear to pop out without trying to turn the engine over? I want to check the clearance in case I have to shim it.
exdrocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: how to engage starter pinion?

The starter should have two large lugs and two small lugs. The large lug on the bottom should have a large wire that goes to the armature. There should be a nut holding it on. This lug is directly below where the battery cable attaches. Disconnect it there and supply 12 volts to the small solenoid lug (where the purple wire goes. That should kick the bendix without the starter spinning.

Does that make any sense? I cannot post any photos at this time.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
exdrocca

So I think I kinda understand. I think I'm just confusing myself. So then, what I'm looking to do is just hook up the battery wire to where the ignition(purple) wire is supposed to go? And that purple wire would not be hooked up yet. Obviously, they are two different size diameters. I guess I'm just going to touch it to that terminal? I just don't want the thing to blow up in my face, heh. I bought a jegs mini-starter.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Looking at the photo, you see the large lug on the bottom that has the cable hooked to it? This needs to be disconected. You should not have any battery cables or wires hooked to the starter at this point.

Get a 10-12 gauge piece of wire long enough to reach from the battery to the starter. Allegator clips on both ends will help. Hook one end to the positive sie of the battery and one end to the soleniod post The small lug to the right looking at the photo, where the purple wire goes.. This should kick the bendix drive out with out spinning the starter. The cable on the lower large lug is what makes the starter spin and you do not want that.

I am not sure if the photo is the same as your starter but it should be simular as far as the layout of the lugs.

If anyone knows a better way please chime in.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
exdrocca

Thank you for taking the time to go through that for me. That clarified it very much. That picture also helped alot. I understand the process now. I don't pick things up so quick anymore. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Not a problem,

Thats why we are all here to help each other and keep these old classic chevys alive.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
exdrocca

Ok, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but the bendix drive did not come out when I hooked up power to the solenoid post.

So what I did so far was, I unbolted the large lug that accepts the positive battery cable, I unbolted the other large lug that has the short wire from started motor to solenoid, and also unbolted the ignition wire. I connected the small terminal on solenoid to the positive post on the battery by way of a single 10 gauge wire with alligator clips. I have 2 large lugs and 1 small terminal on my starter. The actual battery cable was not hooked up to starter at all, just the 10 gauge. The starter does work fine when wired up.