The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
BOHICA-Chevy68

Broken front shock mount

I have a front shock mount that is completely ripped out of the frame. It left a 1x1 hole where it use to be. I have don't some looking around and wanted to get the opinion of some of you as to what to do to fix it. I found the new shock studs on CCP and could weld in a piece of metal to take the new mount. Eventually I want to lower the truck and would need to get new spindles, and shock to match. So I found the mounts that go on top of the frame rail. Would I be better off just putting them on and doing it to both sides that way i can move them later, or is it better to just weld up the hole. I can post pict of the frame where it was ripped out if that helps. I posted pictures of what I found. If anyone has a better idea then please let me know.
Attached Images

BOHICA-Chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Daner

Re: Broken front shock mount

I'm curious which side broke? On both my trucks the passenger side is worn/loose/bad but the driver side is fine. When the snow melts I will be stealing the top drivers side stud from my parts truck. The threads were totally butchered by the time I got the nut off the stud of my 67.

I have some graphite rods that are certain diameters. You can stick them in the out of round hole, weld up the edges and pull it out(usually break off) so you have a true hole. I forget what they are called. A new piece of metal would probably work best for your gaping frame hole though.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton

Last edited by Daner; 03-04-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
BOHICA-Chevy68

Re: Broken front shock mount

It's the passenger side
Posted via Mobile Device
BOHICA-Chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote