The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
asolde

Neutral safety switch?

The old 72 c10 started giving me a click when I went to start it. Then I would jiggle the auto shift selector and it would start. It has been getting worst every time I try to start the truck with it just giving me a click. Battery is good.

I have been doing some searching on here and have try to adjust the neutral safety switch with no help. I put the selector in reverse turn the key on and my reverse light are working however I am able to crank the engine and start it in this position.

So do you think it is the neutral safety switch or the starter selenoid/starter?
If I jumper the purple wires and it cranks and starts dose that mean a bad neutral safety switch?
Do you jumper the purple wires and then jumper the switch what dose that do when you jumper the switch?
Maybe I got two things going on......? a bad starter and or selenoid and a bad neutral safety switch?
Got any ideas on how to trouble shoot this?
asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Daddy Brim

Re: Neutral safety switch?

If you connect the purple wires together it should start, and it will start in any gear. If it does start this way I would replace the switch.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
luvbowties

Smile Re: Neutral safety switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolde View Post
The old 72 c10 started giving me a click when I went to start it. Then I would jiggle the auto shift selector and it would start. It has been getting worst every time I try to start the truck with it just giving me a click. Battery is good.

I have been doing some searching on here and have try to adjust the neutral safety switch with no help. I put the selector in reverse turn the key on and my reverse light are working however I am able to crank the engine and start it in this position.

So do you think it is the neutral safety switch or the starter selenoid/starter?
If I jumper the purple wires and it cranks and starts dose that mean a bad neutral safety switch?
Do you jumper the purple wires and then jumper the switch what dose that do when you jumper the switch?
Maybe I got two things going on......? a bad starter and or selenoid and a bad neutral safety switch?
Got any ideas on how to trouble shoot this?
I'd def. try adjusting the ns sw.--2 bolts iirc--loosen a bit and twist--again iirc--just a bit to adjust. If adjusting cannot solve problem, then it's like Daddy Brim said: time to replace ns switch. **Do NOT leave the 2 purple wires connected, as it's way too dangerous starting(and then taking off) in any gear--that's just a temporary, yet quite effective procedure to ensure the solenoid/starter are good.

HTH,
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Neutral safety switch?

How tight is your shift linkage? If it is wore out, that will also cause your problem.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote