The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Mayo
Cool Truck

Glove Box Door Button Problems

My old button was having problems, it would kind of freeze up and you'd have to smack it a few times to get it open, so I replaced it with a new one from LMC back in December or January. That lasted about two months before it completely fell apart, so I put my old one back in. I found out the new one was under warranty, so LMC replaced it for me and that one just did the same exact thing today. I went to put my old one back in, and as soon as I got it in it fell apart too. Am I just on a string of bad luck or are the new ones no good? The inside of my box has gotten leaks in it before so its a little deformed. It rubs on the arm on the right side causing the door to not pop open as soon as you hit the button. Coulds that play a part in my buttons breaking, or do you think my latch might be messed up? Thanks.

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
wgr2112
Account Suspended

Re: Glove Box Door Button Problems

You may want to consider a used one from eBay. It'll probably be better than a Chinese aftermarket knockoff. You can also upgrade to a locking one. May make a difference!
wgr2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Could be a number of things. Part of it could be the GB liner, or maybe the striker needs to be adjusted out a little. Also, sometimes the lock bolt (the piece that sticks up out of the lock) gets worn and catches on the striker putting a lot of pressure on the lock when you push the button. They need to be lubed with 3-in-1 oil once in a while too. It is best to remove them to do this. Put some around the button, around the lock bolt, and into any holes you see on the outside of the lock case, then push the button a few times to get it worked in. If the lock bolt doesn't want to retract all the way into the case push it down with your finger while you are pushing on the button a few times..

If it is a non-locking one PM me your address and I will send you a good working original one, no charge...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Tinkermc

someone on the 4 sale board should have 1. You could try VA72c10 for an example John is a real nice guy that I have used and would use again.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Come by NN38 at Carlisle and I'll give you one. The striker likely needs adjustment. A little squirt of lube does these things wonders,too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
SuperC10Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
A little squirt of lube does these things wonders,too.
I put my old one in a zip lock bag with a good amount of WD-40 for a couple of days....works like new!!!

"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows"
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Mayo
Cool Truck

Thank you Leon, I just got the button in the mail today and it works great. I think I found my problem too. I noticed today that the arm wasn't rubbing up against the liner but actually against the top of the hole in the dash. When I was trying to adjust that, I noticed that the four screws old the hinge to the dash were loose. I tightened them up and now it opens and closes great. Thanks for all your help guys.

Tim, I would take you up on that offer but Leon already hooked me up. I will stop by and say hi atleast while we're in Carlisle.

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
Thank you Leon, I just got the button in the mail today and it works great. I think I found my problem too. I noticed today that the arm wasn't rubbing up against the liner but actually against the top of the hole in the dash. When I was trying to adjust that, I noticed that the four screws old the hinge to the dash were loose. I tightened them up and now it opens and closes great. Thanks for all your help guys.

Tim, I would take you up on that offer but Leon already hooked me up. I will stop by and say hi at least while we're in Carlisle.

No problem Mitch. Glad you have it working again and thanks for letting me know it arrived OK.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote