The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Raptor Bed Liner Follow Up

Here’s a short story regarding the durability of U-Pol Raptor Bedliner. The simple 3 step process that led up to this revelation is in these photos:

I sprayed my firewall with Raptor, including both factory original heater block off plates that came with the truck:

I subsequently added a mechanical fuel pressure gauge in the cab, and mounted the isolator on the square heater plate, knowing I could easily remove it if I ever changed my mind:

I changed my mind. The pressure gauge never lived up to expectations, and may permanently go away. In the meantime the isolator was removed and the holes eliminated in the plate. I attempted blotching more catalyzed Raptor on the repaired area with a sponge brush, and it came out looking terrible. So - here’s the plate after all the Raptor was removed, and the plate repainted in rattle can Blitz Black:

The Raptor testimonial starts right before the plate was painted Blitz Black. Over the years I’ve used 3M Body Schutz, several types of rattle can undercoater, and wrinkle finish enamel. Every one I’ve experienced could easily be removed with a new single edge razor blade mounted in a scraper.

Attempting to remove the Raptor with a new razor blade, I screwed the plate to the bench and gave a good shove on the scraper. The blade skipped across the textured surface and snapped off several shards of razor blade. I thought that was odd, and replaced the broken blade with a new one. Same result. I couldn’t dig into the Raptor surface. The blade simply snagged on the texture and snapped off chunks of blade. I tried a 3rd time attempting to apply all the pressure I could. The blade got stuck in the Raptor, but didn’t move forward and didn’t reach the metal underneath.

I finally gave up and switched to an angle grinder with a twister wire cup. Nothing can withstand that, not even Raptor. It finally came off, but took almost 30 minutes to strip that one little plate.

That’s all I have to offer. Don’t apply this stuff to anything you may want to remove it from later. And if you want a permanent water proof textured product that’s impervious to razor blades, this stuff is really durable!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
AJII

Re: Raptor Bed Liner Follow Up

That looks really good. An idea I had never thought about.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
61K10

thanks for the update Marke--will use it for my inner bedsides. looks great under hood also!

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
gofastnut

That's some good lookin stuff!
Thanks for the info.
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
bama63

looks great,wonder how it would work on interior floors of our trucks, sounds like something i might give a try after floor repairs are finished.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I shot a cab with Raptor liner. I love the stuff.

Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

A Google search for Raptor and Jeep will also turn up large quantities of threads. It seems all the Jeep guys use it.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Yep, I was looking to line my bed again, since the tubs never got a good coating, and the synthetic bed floor needs to get coated to match the rest.

I've heard this is the best combination of ease, results and price. Plus the gun is cheap if you don't have one, and if you do, you can always get it without the gun for just a few dollars less.

I'm getting ready to order some, I just wish I could buy it in a store somewhere so I didn't have to pay the shipping cost on that stuff.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I buy it from TP Tools. They offered the best "to your door" final price. It's a good company to deal with also. About half of the equipment in my shop came from them including giant blasting cabinet and air compressor. From the smallest to the largest order, they've always given me good customer service.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #10
geunice

Posted via Mobile Device
geunice is offline   Reply With Quote