The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
CastIron

Why lower a truck?

I'm new to this forum, and one thing I've noticed is the abundance of lowered pickups with huge wheels. What are the reasons people have for doing this? It seems to me that a pickup would be much more useful and comfortable to drive if it was at a normal height.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
gipper

Re: Why lower a truck?

It is all about preference my friend. To each his own. What you like might not be liked by someone else and vice versa. Applaud others craftsmanship and ideas even if you may not agree.
gipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
chevy72blu

Because they look good! Well, at least in my opinion. Stockers look good as well. So do lifted 4x4s and trucks laying rockers on airbags.

Patina vs. shiny, restored vs restomod vs custom. The rat rod craze. Cut dash vs stock radio, bench or buckets, shaved vs trim. The list goes on and on of creative and interesting ways to make your truck your own. I notice much more diversity in builds in the 67-72 community than nearly any classic, and thats part of the reason why I am so drawn to them. Plus, its easy to appreciate the hundreds of hours of work many of our members have put into their builds even if its not how I would build my own (if I had a fraction of they skill they do. Lol!).

Also, welcome to the to the board! Incase you hadnt heard, we're gonna need some pics of your own

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
YBNORML

Because that's how some of us like it. I like these trucks in almost any configuration imaginable. You should try riding in a properly built air bagged truck, I bet you would be surprised at the ride quality.

Not everyone is going to like how everyone else builds thier trucks. But no matter how its built, it's still better than that truck being crushed or rotting away in some field.
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
domeier

People lower their trucks because they're very concerned about my net wealth - every time someone cuts up a 67-72, my own truck is suddenly worth a few pennies more. Keep those torches burning, boys and girls!
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Easier to load stuff in the bed, handles better, don't need a drop hitch to tow a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,

Last edited by ETsC10; 06-02-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: removed offensive comment
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Shyguy

That is a good question, "Why lower a truck". Many people in this group lower their trucks because they think they look better that way, I guess. If a truck is lowered the right way it can handle better, more like a car. At some point in modifying these trucks they no longer become useful as a truck.

That is alright for people that do not really need to use their trucks as trucks.

I have three trucks now, a '67 that is lowered three in the front and five in the back (it is just a cruiser), I have a bone stock heavy duty '75 C-30 dually that I will use around the farm to haul whatever needs hauled and finally I have a '92 K-3500 dually for heavy duty hauling on the highway.

If a person only has one truck they really need to decide what the purpose they will use the truck and make it their own the way they like it. Of course budget can play an important role in any changes a person makes to their trucks.

Our budget is not a big as some others, but since we do all our own work we can afford to modify our trucks the way we like them. Of course as usual it seems I have rambled on.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I think to most people on this board their trucks aren't just trucks.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
G Man

Smile Re: Why lower a truck?

The stance or rake, the size of the tires is all about what you are talking about. But there is nothing wrong with a stock untouched truck. Hot Rodding has been around along time. Some of us are into lowering our trucks and some are not. I like them all. To fill the fender well with tire is where I think its at.
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
doubleb's69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
That is a good question, "Why lower a truck". Many people in this group lower their trucks because they think they look better that way, I guess. If a truck is lowered the right way it can handle better, more like a car. At some point in modifying these trucks they no longer become useful as a truck.

That is alright for people that do not really need to use their trucks as trucks.

I have three trucks now, a '67 that is lowered three in the front and five in the back (it is just a cruiser), I have a bone stock heavy duty '75 C-30 dually that I will use around the farm to haul whatever needs hauled and finally I have a '92 K-3500 dually for heavy duty hauling on the highway.

If a person only has one truck they really need to decide what the purpose they will use the truck and make it their own the way they like it. Of course budget can play an important role in any changes a person makes to their trucks.

Our budget is not a big as some others, but since we do all our own work we can afford to modify our trucks the way we like them. Of course as usual it seems I have rambled on.
You say they no longer become useful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Sklptrljay

Because it just looks COOL!!
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

The debate of lower trucks has been brought up a bunch . I do not understand why it brings such debate .

I have had most every configuration of a pickup there is . I had a lowered pickup 26 years ago when the parts to do so just weren't available .

I currently have 2 4X4s and A 1 ton , One of which is a dedicated mudder .

More than a few times I have been told " That's a waste of a good truck "

These trucks are a blank canvas . It's yours , Create whatever you want .

Yeah I know these are squares but you get the point . I created what I wanted
Attached Images

powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post
People lower their trucks because they're very concerned about my net wealth - every time someone cuts up a 67-72, my own truck is suddenly worth a few pennies more. Keep those torches burning, boys and girls!
I respectably disagree with you on value. A well built quality lowered truck brings a lot of money these days, same as a well built four wheel drive. Pieced together pieces of crap bring a lot less in either configuration. It's all relative to the overall quality of the truck.
Saying that a low rider increases the value of your truck is just silly.
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Ackattack

Mines lowered and the only thing it hauls is butt (and maybe some chairs for a car show). But, its on air bags and I suppose if I needed to haul something I could.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
CastIron

I'm not sure about putting much monetary value on lowered/lifted trucks. In my experience, when people sell them they ask more because it's been modified, but end up selling for less. If you're buying a lowered or lifted truck, you can usually spend less than for an unmolested one. So if that's what you want, buy a truck already done and save the money.
The problem I see is that a lot of trucks (and cars too) are modified by people that don't have a lot of experience or training. For example, how many people know what the holes in the spring pocket on the lower control arm are used for? Or can look at an alignment printout and say exactly what needs to be done? How many people set up the driveline angles properly? Or know why the angles need to be properly adjusted?
The engineers did a very good job designing these trucks. Modifying the design might work most of the time, but will it work as well as the original design?
Old 06-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
VA72C10
VA72C10

You might want to look around at values a little more There have been several of the lowered trucks recently selling for 30-50k+

I love them all...original paint clean, original patina, restored original, resto-mod, lowered, bagged, slammed to the ground, and lifted.

I agree that some do poor work on the frames and driveline angles/alignment and some do dangerous installations...but I also see that on lifted trucks, and also mostly stock trucks where people heat the springs or cut them improperly for a slight lowering jobs.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

The masses have bought into the truck thing and brought the latest trends with them. They aren't concerned with "useful",just concerned with going with a vehicle others accept as cool to put their wheels on. These trucks have been getting lowered since the '70s,but only to bring it down to a car's ride height. I am one who has since then. It's become about going overboard with it,now. Not sure where where it will go when the trendys move on to the next thing,but the rest of us'll just keep on keepin' on with the tried and true,as always.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
CastIron

I don't mind lowered vehicles, but I don't usually do anything to mine. Some cars/trucks definitely look better a little lower than stock.
My point about value is that changing the height of a vehicle generally doesn't significantly affect the value. If lowering a pickup increased the value by more than the price of the parts/labor, I'd be all over that and buy trucks, lower them, and resell them for a quick profit. But in my experience, you lose money if you do that.
I have lowered several vehicles, mainly because I got paid to do it. (I recently lowered a 2012 Prius, lol) I have made sure to do it properly, because if something isn't right it's my name and reputation that takes a hit.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
VA72C10
VA72C10

Not to beat a dead horse But aside from the dropemembered (frame laying) trucks, a simple lowering job also seems to be adding value right now. I've seen trucks that would sell for 3-5K max bring 8-11k+ with just drop spindles, springs, and a set of 20" wheels. So an approx 2K investment is raising the cost 5-6k+...(assuming you do the work yourself)

It's not everyone's style but there are people out there who like that look and are willing to pay for it...(and want it done already...they don't want to build a truck)
Old 06-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

cause all the cool kids is doin it

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
Tinkermc

all a matter of taste, the owners. These trucks are an extension of each of us. Just like the best color. So mine was built to do 1 thing, make me happy and it does.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #22
c10srule

ive done alignments for over 10 years and i can tell you my truck is lowered 3" in the front and 5" in the rear for the hot rod stance and it handles better than it did when it was set up the original height and i had now issues whatsoever getting the alignment back into spec, the new spec for radial tires, you also have to change the alignment specs from oe for radial tires or your old truck wont handle near as well, i also build and sell these old trucks and i get more out of them when their lowered and modified than when they are all stock, everyone has their own preferences and thats what makes this hobby so great, not the ones who are so hard pressed and opinionated about what their beliefs are and are negative towards others for the way they build their own projects
c10srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #23
Square_78

I didn't buy my truck to use as a truck. Now that these 67-72's are getting older, less and less people will be using them as "trucks" and more for hotrods or cruising. I have a 78 c10 that I use as a truck for hauling dirt bikes and junk and building materials. It is still lowered 5" in front and 8" in the rear and it still functions fine as a work horse. I guess if you really have to ask why people lower trucks, then you'll never truly understand.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #24
50bomb

Beating a dead horse.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
all a matter of taste, the owners. These trucks are an extension of each of us. Just like the best color. So mine was built to do 1 thing, make me happy and it does.
^^^^^^^Perfect
Posted via Mobile Device
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote