The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
71'4wdK10

Bumper Color options

IS there a way to look at the VIN or options in the glovebox on a 71' and tell what color the bumpers were, via- Chrome, painted white, silver, etc. I do show option for a step bumper on the rear and the original is still on the truck, im about 100% positive its supposed to be argent (silverish).. please post advice and or pictures. Thanks in advance!!
71'4wdK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Bumper Color options

bumper color/chrome was a function of trim level. standard was white - became chrome at the Cheyenne trim level and above (i.e. included in the trim package). I believe the chrome bumper could be added as an individual option, but not 100% positive of that. have seen many Custom Deluxes with Chrome bumper, in fact I have one! Just to review, the trim levels in 71 were:
Custom
Custom Deluxe
Cheyenne
Cheyenne Super (late in the production year)
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
med.bronze

I have the step bumper option on my K10 as well and it is silver. I'd show a pic of it but it is currently having a new diamond tread piece bent for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 K-10 Custom Deluxe

1971 K-10 Custom
med.bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
jocko

oops - ya know, I was kinda focusing on the front, and you even mentioned the back - sorry. Anyhoo, same applies for the rear bumper as far as paint goes - white for Custom or Custom Deluxe, chrome for Cheyenne or Cheyenne super. If the step bumper was ordered as an option, it was gray-ish silver. I have one on each truck. I guess I like step bumpers.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
SS Tim

How about posting up your SPID? Then we can tell you what bumper(s) it was built with along with the stock wheel and tire size too.

Base stock build was a painted white bumper. A chrome bumper was included in the Cheyenne trim level and optional lower trim levels.
All rear bumpers were optional.
A standard rear bumper would be white or chrome and could only match the front.
A step bumper was only offered as silver painted when factory installed. However there were GM accessory chrome step bumpers offered. Aftermarket step bumpers are the most commonly found and may have been painted any number of colors when new. Silver and white are again the most common colors.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
SS Tim

Here is a basic, medium blue, ultra original 71 C10 for you to drool over. There may be more but it has few options, three of which can be seen in the picture. Conventional Two-Tone (white roof), standard rear bumper, automatic transmission (one of the last powerglides IIRC).
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
cericd

Not meaning to hi-jack here but I have a similar question about my truck. It's a 1970 and was purchased from the original owner's son. I noticed it had been repainted at some point so I asked the seller about it before I bought it. He said that after he got the truck from his father he was using it as his daily driver and had a fender bender (with a cow no less) which required the passenger front fender to be replaced. At that time he decided to have the truck re-painted in the original gold color, painting over the white roof because he never really liked how it looked. I did however, get the original white steelies, hub caps and an extra white step bumper when I purchased the truck. Now I'm wondering if it might have originally had a white front bumper. Also, according to the information here on the forum, the grill is an oem replacement part. Another thing that I found odd is that the emblem on the glove box door says "Chevrolet Custom" but the emblems on the fenders say "C/10." The VIN number on the SPID matches the plate on the cab and the protecto plate that came with the truck. Since the SPID doesn't mention "Custom" I would have thought that there wouldn't be an emblem on the glovebox??? Any ideas?

Here are the pics.
Attached Images

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
SS Tim

Your truck is a low content truck at the base trim level. The roof was white in a conventional two-tone as you were told. The fender emblems are correct as C/10. The glovebox emblem is used with the upgrade Z62 trim level Custom Comfort and Appearance. Why your truck has it is hard to say. But then the radio knobs are also incorrect uplevels and should be the plain black base knobs. The front bumper was white as built and the rear was added but probably silver of some sort.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
cericd

Thanks for the info Tim. I guess I'll never know the reason for the glovebox emblem. I'm pretty sure I checked for holes behind it and they're there (so, it's not just glued on). Maybe they just had a gold "Custom" glovebox door lying around that day and slapped the spid on it and mounted it in the truck without noticing. Would you happen to know what color the exterior mirror arms and heads would have originally been?

Old 06-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Thanks for the info Tim. I guess I'll never know the reason for the glovebox emblem. I'm pretty sure I checked for holes behind it and they're there (so, it's not just glued on). Maybe they just had a gold "Custom" glovebox door lying around that day and slapped the spid on it and mounted it in the truck without noticing. Would you happen to know what color the exterior mirror arms and heads would have originally been?
I have the correct radio knobs for your truck, and would be willing to trade you my knobs for your knobs, assuming yours are in decent condition
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
If it makes you feel any better all the body side moldings were actually collectively called "custom molding" in ther data book. Its possible that the badge was a keying error or line misbuild. Maybe someone else has a 70 St.Louise base truck with the moldings that you can compare glove box doors with.
The mirrors were body color arms and white heads. While most literature is based on early preproduction vehicles (thus the 69 round heads) here is a clip from a 70 Blazer showing the production square heads in white.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
cericd

Thanks again Tim. So, my truck would have originally had white square mirror heads?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
71'4wdK10

Ok guys sorry bout the time frame but heres my glovebox label info. a shot of my truck, and my incorrect hubcaps, which im willing to trade for correct ones. Im a collision/ restoration technician on automobiles. Basically and college grad bodyman/ mechanic, 15 years experience. Im not super technical on information but loaded with DYI information and tips if anyone needs free advice id gladly share the wealth so to speak. Thanks for the technical help together were going to build a super sweet truck in honor of my grandfather who passed 1 month ago. He got me into the 67-72 C-10's, hell the bodyshop business in general. Heres to you POP!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
SS Tim

Is it just me or are pictures missing from post #13?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Nope Tim, not just you.

Speaking of pics, you can see rust in the rocker of that new truck in the last image you posted above. Just kidding of course but the propensity for rust in that area of these trucks makes one take a second look!

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
71'4wdK10

Well guys after I typied the post I clicked the picture button to add the pictures.. it doesnt give me a option to upload but rather use a hyperlink.. so I postd the pictures in my album on my profile. you guys have a look when you can.. also if you can tell me how to upload pictures on here without the hyperlink business thatd be swell also.. Thanks!!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
SS Tim

To upload pictures this works well.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
71'4wdK10

Here we go guys, Thanks for the help Tim!
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
71'4wdK10

Im on fire now! Glad to understand the HTML and forum layout ill be posting away!!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #20
SS Tim

Nice truck, just a little frill.

Starting off it is a 71 built at the Flint assembly plant.

KE10934 decodes, 4x4 V-8 1/2 ton Fleetside pickup.
B85 Belt Molding, upper bodyside/tailgate molding
E81 Floor Board, wood floor bed
LS9 350 V-8
RL3 G78x15 Belted, On-Off road tires(all five)
Z52 Full Foam Seat, upgrade seat under the standard "Custom" trim cover
542 Conventional Two-Tone 521 White roof and 510 Med. Blue body

BX2 Body Side Molding, Lower bodyside/tailgate trim
D29 Below Eyeline Mirror, painted, white
F76 Front Locking Hubs
N40 Power Steering
V43 Step Bumper, factory installed, silver
Z53 Ammeter Oil Temp, gauges (without tach)
606 Blue Vinyl Trim, Base "Custom" trim level.

Couple of things to note.
The three-speed column shift is the base transmission even for a 4x4.
Stock gears were 3.07 with ~29" tall tires on 15x6.0" white wheels.
White hubcaps were standard.
The front bumper was painted white.
The tow hooks, cab lights and tach are add-ons.
All in all it is very similar to the picture of Joes truck I posted in #6 with the addition of the upper and lower bodyside moldings.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #21
71'4wdK10

I found the "44" stamped on the front axle housing, and figured the .307 gears or there about where in the rear. I know its locked all the time in the rear, and pulls strong. My uncle worked at Meredith Chevrolet in Royston, Ga. during the 70's-80's he believes the add-ons are dealer add ons. Is there anyway to deteremine this 100% I know doing bodywork for a living thats probably a open ended question.. Also my truck should only have the upper moulding (chrome with black stripe) no lower?
Old 06-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #22
71'4wdK10

P.S. wait until i start posting the rust repair pictures... yikes! Everything in there to fix the rust but the kitchen sink...!! NO WORRIES its what I do to make a living.. a BIG job but ive tackled worse. Check out my album Leard's Rods and Customs on here.. a few pics of some restorations I did at my place. This truck is going to look sweet. I may not go blue... iim really up in the air about orange. Ive owned a Orange 68 C10 and a green 70 K10 SWB... Orange really does it lol.. Thanks again
Old 06-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #23
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Nice truck! Its similar in options to my 72 K20. It would have had a white front bumper since its a base (Custom) model. Keep in mind that back in 71, the base models could have had more and better options than higher trim level trucks. This is because the trim levels didn't include many features, except for insulation, headliner, different door panels, and a cargo lamp (if top of the line) and maybe some molding on the body. You have key options such as PS and 350, hubs, and of course 4x4 (due to the model # and not the options). The main one its lacking is a 4spd or 3 spd auto but maybe you like the three on the tree? One of the better optioned 30tt trucks I've seen.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #24
71'4wdK10

Well Vintage I keep beating my head on the wall over this Medium blue... I paint for a living and Ive been putting small samples here and there on the truck.. bad news it doesnt do anything for me... Me and my grandfather LOVED Orange C & K series trucks... so Im thinking im going to stay all original except the paint and interior colors. Im thinking hugger orange with white top, saddle interior, going to pull the hub caps since there wrong anyways and paint the wheels and hubs satin black and drive the tar out of it. This is my personal #3 C-10, well 2nd K series, third truck out of all my C's & K's.. You think thatll look nice??
Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #25
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71'4wdK10 View Post
I found the "44" stamped on the front axle housing, and figured the .307 gears or there about where in the rear. I know its locked all the time in the rear, and pulls strong. My uncle worked at Meredith Chevrolet in Royston, Ga. during the 70's-80's he believes the add-ons are dealer add ons. Is there anyway to deteremine this 100% I know doing bodywork for a living thats probably a open ended question.. Also my truck should only have the upper moulding (chrome with black stripe) no lower?
The "44" is of course the Dana ID cast into the housing. If there is a locker of some sort, it was also added. The tach is probably a much later addition by the needle color. The roof marker lamps could very well have been a dealer installation. There were accessory kits for adding them. But then every NAPA in the land sold them too and still do. The hooks are aftermarket any way you look at it.

The truck as I wrote above was built with both the B85 and the BX2 moldings so yes uppers and lowers with the black infill are correct. As well as tail light and upper and lower tailgate moldings too. White letters are also correct for the tailgate.

If you have questions on the moldings you might want to check out this link too.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572206