The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
jcblue

Where do guys learn their skills

I have been working in a shop for many years doing insurance repairs on cars.. I have a few progects going on and I just wonder where guys learn their fabrication skills.. I'm sure a lot of it is from just doing stuff and trying.. I guess what I want to know is, is there some place I can go to learn a little?
Posted via Mobile Device
jcblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
CC69Rat

Re: Where do guys learn their skills

Old timers. You can read and learn from books but the best way I have found is to just get in there and do it and let the much respected older generation show you how they do it. What they have figured out over the years of what 'works' .. not what's 'supposed' to work. Hammer welding, block sanding with t-shirts over your middle 3 fingers on your non dominant hand, .. stuff that you or I just wouldn't think about.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
mgkgmc

If your wanting to get into welding I know some local community college offers courses. I probably going to take some my self also this web site is also a great place for learning how to do many things too.
Posted via Mobile Device
1989 Swb Silverado
1972 Aj's Stormer
mgkgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
jcblue

Thanks for the response guys.. I can wel and do body work, most of the basics.. I want to know how to z a frame, do body drops, do one off frames and so forth..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
BuiltwithIvy

some of the questions you ask have simple answers, others have very complex answers, at the end of the day, each thing is very custom depending on your varying needs and wants, if you want to do some of the stuff, find cheap things to practice on from CL or any similar site. I could walk you through projects, but I need to see what it is you're working on, and what you want at the end of the day, I personally went to Wyotech, and while they taught some basic concepts, I learned almost everything from working at a streetrod shop and just doing it. I recently chopped a top for the first time (see my thread for pics), and most of the issues were me sitting down and thinking about things in a logical manner (if I cut here, what will happen? is cutting here better than there? why am I making these choices? so on and so forth) but you have a lot of people here who are willing to talk you through any project, and a ton of articles and pictures of people who have done similar things, if there are local hot rod shops, ask if you can sweep their floor for free, and ask the guys who build why they did things the way they did
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
jcblue

Thanks Builtwithivy.. I'll check into some of the things you mentioned. I'll also check out your build..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Built gave some good advice.You need to keep in mind that the Old timers each have things that work for them.Some have more than one and may do it one way one time and another the next.Learning from 2 or 3 of them will broaden your knowledge.
Also keep the skill factor in mind.Most anyone can become competent at almost any task given time.Most truly gifted artisans have years of experience and skill honing behind them.The more times and the more often you do something,the better your skills become.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
BurnoutNova

I usually just dive into something and figure it out along the way. The key is common sense, and patience. And you need to know when to walk away and take a break.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
BuiltwithIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
I usually just dive into something and figure it out along the way. The key is common sense, and patience. And you need to know when to walk away and take a break.
this is a really good point, as I mention on occasion, you only see the pictures I decide to put up, not the fact that sometimes I have to make multiple pieces just to get it right, and when I get frustrated, I like to take a hammer and demolish the pieces I made that didn't work, good stress reliever for me personally, but knowing when you need to take a break is very important
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Tinkermc

a an ole timer I can tell ya other older timers helped me, experience comes from decissions some good some not. Go slowly and think it out. If any doubt sit take a break when yur sure go back to work even if it's days later. Chopping my first top took almost 30 minutes, but rewelding and making it righ took 3 days, but I got it.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
elf w/capital T

Ive learned my guys older than my dad that have been playing with these trucks, they know alot, plus trial and error by doing my self...
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

This forum is a excellent place to gain knowledge, the talent of the members is incredible.
Also check out the cheap tricks link below, tons of valuable info posted by these same folks.
Posted via Mobile Device
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote