The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Keepitcoastal

OH Boy I could use a hand on my 68 longbed with350/350

Ok everybody I am reaching out for some guidance from those with experience on my truck. All my experience is working in an independent Honda/acura shop for 2 years so I'm having some hardships along the way with this old chevy.

Ok so here's the deal with the truck she's 68 like I said

It's got 80's c10/k10 breaks
350/350 with (performer cams,600carb,and intake mani)
Also has power steering
And serpentine setup from 94 blazer

Bought the truck 2 months ago have already had to replace the alternator, power steering pump and res. almost all pulleys and harmonic balancer. Did a clave adjustment and installed new intake mani and valve cover gaskets. Check fluid regularly.

I just got hit with a ton of problems at once...
So my starter is going bad which is sadly the least of my worries right now

Tranny cooler return hose stripped out the radiator now ill need to use a helicoil for temp fix but im ordering an eBay radiator with 2 electric fans.

Now the 3 week old rebuild (by napa) power steering pump and resovoir just started making a terrible clicking noise and there is a consists on and off feeling of power steering when turning the wheel accompanied by nasty noises

I can see whitish blue smoke thick on startup it's defiantly burning oil too i don't know how the previous owner got this **** past me....

I'm feeling like I should just try and buy another 350 (vortec would be nice) and if I can a 700r4 but financially I don't see that happening for a few months . So I'm really hoping some people on this forum can help me keep this peice of **** running till I can afford a new engine and tranny.

I hope this doesn't come off as too jumbled or illiterate I'm typing from a phone at the moment. Here's some pictures of the truck here in San Luis obispo

Posted via Mobile Device
Keepitcoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
westbrookw
LET'S GO...MOUNTAINEERS

Re: OH Boy I could use a hand on my 68 longbed with350/350

A compression check is a good place to start. If the compression is good, I would replace valve seals.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
Keepitcoastal

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbrookw View Post
A compression check is a good place to start. If the compression is good, I would replace valve seals.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alright, ill do a compression check tomorrow and then go from there with that.

But more importantly right now with this being my current daily driver till I get another car I need to get on top of this break and power steering problem.

My main problems finding parts because its got mix matched ones from many different years and trucks so maybe somebody can help me find out which master cylinder iv got if I post a picture tomorrow morning.

Here's the thing about the breaks they went to the floor one time before but when I investigated the master cylinder I found the rubber gasket on the top of the reservoir was not dealing well and break fluid has bypassed the break booster and seeped out the top, so I refilled it and cleaned and fixed the rubber and it seals fine and worked perfect for the last month but now the pedal is going to the floor non stop even though the res is full and it's not leaking for anywhere I can see .i have checked the breaklines best I can with a flashlight without pulling the wheels
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Keepitcoastal

And any help why my power steering is making awful noises combined with not working and making a terrible clicking noise. It's a new pump and res with all new oil. It's making noises and feeling like its got air in the line but iv bleed the power steering gearbox already. Am I doing somthing wrong lol ? Or did I just get a faulty pump
Posted via Mobile Device

Considering iv bled the system and I know it's full on oil but it feels and sounds like its running on straight air I feel like there has to be something seriously wrong with the fins inside the pump its like its not pumping or something. If its damaged I'm sure there are metal peices in the gear box which means ill likely want to replace that as well. what would cause the fins in the pump to become damaged in the first place?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
westbrookw
LET'S GO...MOUNTAINEERS

Check for a vacuum leak on your booster. Does the booster hiss when pushing the pedal? My brother had the same problem. We changed the master cylinder. Do you have discs in the front or drums still? If you have drums, I would change the proportioning valve also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
westbrookw
LET'S GO...MOUNTAINEERS

As for the power steering pump, take it back. Napa should have a warranty for it. You only replaced it a months ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
MidLifer

when you bled the PS did you do it with the motor off? (Turn wheel lock to lock a few times, add fluid, do it again, lather rinse repeat until you have no bubbles). I had a heck of a time bleeding mine out, because at first I was just doing it with the motor running.

Just my $.02. Good luck and don't get discouraged. You'll get it all fixed.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Keepitcoastal

Going to go give all the suggestions a shot and see what I come up with, thanks to everyone who's offered suggestions so far.

I defiantly did not bleed the p.s with the engine off so that's the first I'm gonna try. And is there any newer 90's master cylinder and porportoning valve I can take from a SUV or truck at my local junkyard (no older vehicles sadly).

Otherwise ill have to order a new c20 one or go maybe I can try and call some junk yard farther away
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Keepitcoastal

Need some more help haha. So the breaks and everything else are taken care of but now it's the power steering. My new pump started making a clicking noise and working 50% then stopped working all together so I just got a new one and installed it for the second time in a month and after filling it up I went to start the truck to begin bleeding the power steering and the wheels turned hard
To the right as soon as the engine fired up. It then had extra force forcing it to the right and not allowing me to turn it to the left and even bleed the breaks. I then tried to bleed them with the engine off and had no problems there but then went to start back up and have the same problem. Is somthing wrong with my ps gearbox?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
67ctener

Not a piece just needs some love. You came to the right place, people here live for chevy trucks
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
Keepitcoastal

Trying to find a decent 327,350,or 383 with no leaks or problems to drop in with a 700r4 I'm about to grab. Still got to figure out what's wrong with my power steering gearbox (all help appreciated)

I am still considering just fixing the oilpan gasket and head gasket if those where the only problems but I believe it needs to be bored and honed and get new piston and rings and I'd rather get somthing better with less miles and wear. Any good places to look for engines?
A local hotrod shop has an ad for a nice looking rebuilt 327 with vortec heads and rpm manifold and cams for 2200 i think I'm gonna give home a call
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
Zeke's Garage

Does this truck still have the power ram setup for the power steering? Or does it have a newer assist box? It seems that there is a balancing adjustment on the older ram type that you can probably look up. That would cause the system to pull to one side or the other.
Megasquirt Fuel Injection
T5 5 speed conversion
Ferric Oxide impregnation throughout
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
Keepitcoastal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke's Garage View Post
Does this truck still have the power ram setup for the power steering? Or does it have a newer assist box? It seems that there is a balancing adjustment on the older ram type that you can probably look up. That would cause the system to pull to one side or the other.
I believe I just have the old style setup. I will have to see about that. Where do you adjust from?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
Zeke's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepitcoastal View Post
I believe I just have the old style setup. I will have to see about that. Where do you adjust from?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, but I don't know.. I've never had to work on one. I just know that I've read about them on these early trucks and Corvettes that still used the ram system. A quick Google search shows what I'm talking about here on a C3 '68-'82 Vette.

I'm not sure that this is the same PS system, but I'm suspecting that it's at least close.
Megasquirt Fuel Injection
T5 5 speed conversion
Ferric Oxide impregnation throughout
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote